Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-09-19, 11:17PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60873
  • Total Topics: 1071
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Grocer Jack  (Read 5450 times)

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
Grocer Jack
« on: 15-05-19, 07:26AM »
Our dept has 7 staff, only 1 of whom is on a flexi contract.
Yet all of us are being asked to do extra shifts to cover holidays as the latest master plan doesn't allow for it to be done any other way (apparently).

I have said I will not be doing extra shifts to cover holidays although I will change days or times, if I can, when needed.

I admit I'm getting on a bit (although I'm not 82) and I don't fancy ending up like Grocer Jack - working non stop til I snuff it with demands to get into work still ringing in my ears.

https://youtu.be/0rExhxkX-Ic

captain

• Smart Arse
Re: Grocer Jack
« Reply #1 on: 15-05-19, 09:40AM »
I have always said each person has their own individual needs, so NEED the extra money and are desperate for the extra pay and shifts.
I'm a bit like you tumshie, getting on a bit, I don't have money worries but as I don't have mega commitments i.e. childcare, parent care etc I am more than happy to swap shifts as I find that whenever I want a favour back my manager will endeavour to accommodate

an_anon

« Reply #2 on: 15-05-19, 01:22PM »
If you want to do the extra shifts do them, if not, don't.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 15-05-19, 02:46PM »
That's exactly what I'm doing, an_anon, but it's astonishing how convinced the dept manager seemed to be that we'd all feel we have to do extra shifts just because Tesco has arranged for the dept to have no cover.

(Dept manager is running round like a headless chicken, trying to work shifts in their 3 depts. More fool them.  :P )

an_anon

« Reply #4 on: 15-05-19, 04:46PM »
I feel sorry for those staff that feel pressured into doing anything that they don't want to and maybe don't have the confidence to question what they are told.
« Last Edit: 15-05-19, 04:52PM by an_anon »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 15-05-19, 05:50PM »
Tesco love people who are to weak, unsure, or whatever to question managers and what said managers tell them to do, I used to work with a young man in my previous store who would work silly hours for "time back" that he hardly ever got because he was not the most confident person and would not dare stand up to the management. I did speak up on his behalf on one occasion reply from manager was "well mate if XXXX wants to make a good impression he better keep on with the extra hours, the lad is new and needs to prove himself" 
« Last Edit: 15-05-19, 05:51PM by penguin »
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 15-05-19, 07:44PM »
Ever since I've got my new job which pays more than my SM, I stay at Tesco as a reminder that he really is a numpty for passing me up on promotion.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 15-05-19, 10:26PM »
Tbf, the managers in our store are not too bad but they swallow the garbage that comes from above and expect us all to do the same.

It's true that younger staff are less likely to have the confidence to challenge them.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #8 on: 16-05-19, 02:55PM »
Why would you challenge anything when only doing a few day at most a week. Why raise issues if full time and experience they'll do nothing anyway. The management get paid more and most don't care.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 16-05-19, 08:15PM »
I meant, challenge them about pressuring you to do extra hours, above those you are contracted to. And that could include a flexi contract and its availability window.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 16-05-19, 09:18PM »
Why would you challenge anything when only doing a few day at most a week. Why raise issues if full time and experience they'll do nothing anyway. The management get paid more and most don't care.

Regardless of how many hours one works, why should bullying be ignored and that is what putting undue pressure on people to work extra hours comes down to, nothing wrong in managers asking but no should be a final answer, sadly in Tesco that tends not to be the case.
« Last Edit: 16-05-19, 09:19PM by penguin »
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 17-05-19, 09:06AM »
In our store the flexi staff are allowed to say "no" to overtime when they want despite them having a clause in the contract that they should be able to do up to 30+ hours as long as the manager gives them a set amount of notice for overtime. If i was flexi I would do 30+ hours once and then keep telling them "no" reminding them I am fully flexible because I am prepared to do overtime when it suits both them and me. It is a 2 way thing people have to remember. Afterall what is the point in having people in who dont want to be. Tesco win out the low hour flexi contracts because they don't have to pay as much sick pay when people go off etc.

an_anon

« Reply #12 on: 18-05-19, 01:45PM »
I think the original point is that there is going to be a lot of coercing and generally underhand tactics used by desperate managers from now on as the wafer thin workforce is pulled hither and thither to plug the leaking ship that has drifted off course with many experienced hands lost overboard. Excuse the nautical analogy.
« Last Edit: 18-05-19, 01:47PM by an_anon »

Haddenhamoaner

« Reply #13 on: 19-05-19, 05:04AM »
So, given the nautical theme, given his reputation will Drastic Dave be known as Master Bates?

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #14 on: 19-05-19, 08:29AM »
The team managers are paid extra to plug the holes. Drastic you'd be aswell renaming them Dildos and giving them all £1 less an hour. >:D

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 26-05-19, 02:04PM »
The line usually taken by my dept manager is "I need X shifts covered this week, can you do any of them?" Or "Egbert is doing Monday & Hermione is taking Wednesday, can you do Friday?".
Trying to get staff to think about one shift, or one week, at a time - in hopes they won't notice that this is happening nearly every week.

No harm in asking, as a pp said, but then they look shocked by the answer "No" and say "Well, that's how we have to do it. The HotShot Plan says so."

Yeah, right.  >:D

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 26-05-19, 02:53PM »
Why is your manager discussing Egbert and Hermione with you. If you wanted overtime in my old place they just allowed you to do the same extras every week until they said you couldn't. If they got the stock levels fixed in most stores they would find they are overstaffed even on contract hours. For others maybe if people stopped doing the overtime they would be forced to get more staff. If they can only offer you sporadic shifts when Egbert can't be arsed or Harmoine is off sick it is time to say "no" to all. I stopped doing overtime when they couldn't get my wages right. Alot of people that did overtime previously do not bother because they don't see why they should help a manager or the business that has been nothing but unappreciative.

Haddenhamoaner

« Reply #17 on: 26-05-19, 03:15PM »
Great comment, I always worked  overtime on Bank Holidays but no more, the current rate of pay is unacceptable and  my time  is worth more than time n a quarter! 

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 26-05-19, 03:28PM »
They're hoping I'll want to join in the team effort to get the shifts covered, if they mention what the others are doing. :D

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 26-05-19, 03:43PM »
"team" :question: :'( ;D