Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-09-19, 12:15AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60873
  • Total Topics: 1071
  • Online Today: 107
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 101
Total: 103

Author Topic: cancelling a shift  (Read 3752 times)

rayinski

• VLH Supporter
cancelling a shift
« on: 24-05-19, 12:47AM »
Hi,

I agreed to do an overtime shift, this coming bank holiday after feeling pressured to do so.

Today I asked to decline the shift and was told that once I agree to an overtime shift, I have to do the shift or get someone else to.

Now, considering that management can cancel an overtime shift with 24hrs notice, why can't we change our minds, giving even more notice than that?

I looked on ourtosco, but couldn't find anything and would appreciate some help.

Grassa

Re: cancelling a shift
« Reply #1 on: 24-05-19, 01:27AM »
As far as I know once you agree to overtime, it is seen as your shift so have to do it. If no show or call in sick can be pulled for it

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 24-05-19, 02:12AM »
Hi,

I agreed to do an overtime shift, this coming bank holiday after feeling pressured to do so.

Today I asked to decline the shift and was told that once I agree to an overtime shift, I have to do the shift or get someone else to.

Now, considering that management can cancel an overtime shift with 24hrs notice, why can't we change our minds, giving even more notice than that?

I looked on ourtosco, but couldn't find anything and would appreciate some help.
never say yes to overtime unless you're absolutely certain you want to do it. if pressurised then tell them if they carry on you'll put a grievance in for harassment
« Last Edit: 24-05-19, 02:14AM by lackofinterest »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #3 on: 24-05-19, 02:31AM »
As far as I'm aware this would fall under conduct/misconduct. As in, if you were constantly cancelling on agreed overtime, particularly on short notice without a valid reason, they may take it to a disciplinary as misconduct. But in this example, you are giving amble notice and presumably you don't cancel often, so there's not much they can do.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 24-05-19, 07:04AM »
Hi,

never say yes to overtime unless you're absolutely certain you want to do it. if pressurised then tell them if they carry on you'll put a grievance in for harassment

The difference between a manager cancelling an overtime shift (they should give at least 24 hours notice if they're an adequate manager) and yourself cancelling an overtime shift is this,  managers can do it for business related reasons, they may have to cancel overtime shifts due to new starters, payroll budget decrease or if you have a good manager, they found someone else if you said you'd do it but would prefer the shift go to someone else if possible.

You cancelling an agreed overtime shift disrupts that shift as they'll become short, at the end of the day, all management care about at a basic level is if shifts will be adequately resourced, they don't care if you or anyone else does the shift as long as it's covered (and they know if you find cover.)
« Last Edit: 24-05-19, 07:06AM by NightAndDay »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #5 on: 24-05-19, 10:18AM »
Differences there may be but I would always support ' what's good for the goose is good for the gander'.  The disruption and waste caused to an employee's life, and perhaps to that of friends and/or relations, if OT is cancelled at only 24 hrs notice by MM can be considerable and somewhat unfair.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 24-05-19, 10:22AM »
Ideally if they know what they're doing, they should give you a lot more notice. Sometimes though it can't be helped due to unforeseen circumstances or the incompetence of the area team.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #7 on: 24-05-19, 10:24AM »
"Sometimes though it can't be helped due to unforeseen circumstances" which can also apply to the employee side.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 24-05-19, 10:40AM »
I suppose that is why if you do cancel an overtime shift (or just call in sick) it doesn't affect your percentage (I might be wrong about that, but I'm sure that overtime absence is treated differently to contracted hours absence.)

TheAnonymousWorker

« Reply #9 on: 24-05-19, 12:19PM »
I thought as long as you gave 24hr working days  notice you were clear.

Also speaking of cancelling OT. Our SM sent people home on the day of their OT, after they had done a few hours of the shift, is that allowed?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 24-05-19, 01:10PM »
It is because it's not a contracted shift, if however you get sent home early on a contracted shift, you will be paid for the entirety of that shift after you've done at least 1 hour of it.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 24-05-19, 01:46PM »
you should be paid the full shift but what happens and what should happen is two completely different things :-X 8-)

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 24-05-19, 02:02PM »
I always challenge the SM when that happens, I don't respect authority at Tesco because more often than not, they don't follow policy.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 24-05-19, 06:11PM »
Overtime  ;D **** that

rayinski

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 28-05-19, 10:49AM »
Thanks for all the replies,

I apologise for not replying sooner, but my computer was down.

I did the shift and I have learnt my lesson, in future, if they are so desparate to cover a shift, then the mangager can come in and cover it.

NightOwl121

« Reply #15 on: 28-05-19, 05:36PM »
You are just right, a harsh lesson to learn but at least others can gain from your experience and tell their managers no  :thumbup:

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 28-05-19, 11:21PM »

I did the shift and I have learnt my lesson, in future, if they are so desparate to cover a shift, then the mangager can come in and cover it.
well said mate. in my opinion the right attitude to have

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #17 on: 29-05-19, 12:13AM »

You've cancled an overtime shift, "your computer was down" ... ??? 

It is not the managers job to do a shift. checkouts might have 10 overtime shifts to cover. The managers job is to find people wanting to do it. THose people picking up an overtime shift "should" more likely when they ask for some flexability get it. You scratch my back i'll scratch yours etc.  A manager needs to understand how to do a job and or be able to train someone on it. That doesn't mean they are the best at it as repeatedly doing something I would expect a filler or checkout operator to be better than the manager at that job.  There seem to be some massively amazing G.As on this site with an enourmous sense of how bloody great they are and how much of an asset they are to the company.
Every manager seems to be portrayed on here as a MM who brown noses their way to what you see as the top but is actually about 1 level up out of about 12 that exist. They are no more sppecial than you and under more presure  than you know.

You don't want shifts fine ask your manager for a word and tell it to them straight that you never want overtime and if they are decent they will not ask you again.

Haddenhamoaner

« Reply #18 on: 29-05-19, 04:02AM »
If.....although most have poor memories and keep asking.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 29-05-19, 10:05AM »
A lot of managers do O.T. cover these days as the staff won't come in for the low premium. You get good and bad managers, as you get good and bad GA's, but the whole scenario is down to streamlining and cutbacks. I have heard myself, managers bully and coerce staff to work, because they are getting bullied higher up to fill the overtime. I have also heard managers authorise last minute requests for day off etc..."because they always help me out when they can"
I would never advise to say to a manager that you don't want to do overtime again....I would just say to agree to it when you KNOW you can do it by getting back to them the next shift, or if you don't want to do it, you just say you have made plans, and no you don't have to elaborate, no you can't change them, and no you'd rather not say what plans. :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 29-05-19, 11:19AM »
When asked to do overtime I just say “no”. You don’t need to have any plans or pretend you do. If they need people you will get asked next day.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 29-05-19, 11:38AM »
If everyone stopped doing overtime. It will force Tescos pay review team to bring back overtime premiums. Unfortunately Tesco feeds off the casualness of university students.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #22 on: 29-05-19, 11:57AM »
My old place was run on overtime. They claimed they were over contracted hours also. As time went on more of the aisles were being team filled. The team managers even had an aisle each.