Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 05:38AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62880
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 95
Total: 98

Author Topic: Flexi Hours & Scheduler  (Read 5765 times)

£3MealDeal

Flexi Hours & Scheduler
« on: 07-05-19, 02:22PM »
Hi,
So my manager asked me to fill in an availability sheet for the upcoming scheduler system we are having. I am a flexi contract with my core hours being 12. I understand I am supposed to have an availability window of up to 48 hours, which is basically impossible as I am at university full time also (my course is very coursework orientated so it is demanding). I filled out the sheet and did my hours, which was basically just a Sunday all day and another day for like 3 hours in the evening, plus I said I was available earlier and later on my core shifts. My manager said this was fine. My issue is the Sundays, I am the only flexi on my department, so if a Sunday ever comes up I am going to be flexed up for it. As this is my only day off in a week while I am technically available and don't mind doing shifts when I am free, if I have loads of coursework due in that month I would usually just not do any overtime that month, definitely not Sundays as I would go home (not uni) and study as I work much better there. I also use Sundays to go back to my families birthdays etc for meals. Now I understand its the needs of the business if they need a Sunday covering, and people will just say don't get a job if you can't work etc, but last year I did almost triple my core hour earnings and was very flexible etc, but as this is my third year at university I am really worried that Sundays are only ever going to pop up when I have coursework or a day out for a birthday or something, and this will ultimately lead to my dismissal? I have been with Tesco 3 years and all 3 of these I have been very flexible, but this new automatic schedule system won't care about personal reasons, it's just going to see I'm available and flex me in.
Just as a side note as well, when the overtime is on the rota I know a few other staff would do the Sundays, but as they aren't flexis I feel this is Tescos way of making them change over to a flexi contract.
Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Flexi Hours & Scheduler
« Reply #1 on: 07-05-19, 03:21PM »
Ask for a Sunday opt out form...you fill it in and state you wish to opt of of Sunday working
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mangomuncher

« Reply #2 on: 07-05-19, 03:59PM »
You can't be flexed into Sunday I believe

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 07-05-19, 04:09PM »
maybe not in the past but wouldn't be too sure about it now.
The only 100% way to avoid Sundays is to give 1 months notice to opt out
Not even Tesco can wriggle out of that

£3MealDeal

« Reply #4 on: 07-05-19, 04:24PM »

Where would I find this form?

also silly question, but if I opt out of Sundays can I still do them voluntarily?

£3MealDeal

« Reply #5 on: 07-05-19, 04:26PM »
Also forgot to ask, it says we need 48 hours of availability, but say I only have 24, if my manager accepts this is this allowed?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 07-05-19, 05:05PM »
You do not need 48 hours of availability, that's a false policy, you put down your actual availability, I put mine down as Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 9am-5pm as I have a 9-5 mon-fri job.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 07-05-19, 05:12PM »

also silly question, but if I opt out of Sundays can I still do them voluntarily?

Ask your manager or whoever works in the office where all the forms are kept.

Err...yep silly question, that would be a no!

Mangomuncher

« Reply #8 on: 07-05-19, 05:46PM »

Yeah you can do any amount or shift "voluntarily" of course

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 07-05-19, 05:51PM »
That's not my understanding of it  8-) unless you mean voluntarily, as in unpaid ???
« Last Edit: 07-05-19, 05:52PM by lucgeo »

Mangomuncher

« Reply #10 on: 07-05-19, 05:56PM »
It's a case of "you've opted out so why are you now picking and choosing your Sunday" kind of conversation but there is not anything black and white saying you can't choose to do them at your discretion even after opting out

Mangomuncher

« Reply #11 on: 07-05-19, 05:58PM »
That's not my understanding of it  8-) unless you mean voluntarily, as in unpaid ???
:D
Lots of confusion OT there about flexible working
...You can only be flexed up to your availability form.
Anything above that in hours or days you didn't put down on form is your choice

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 07-05-19, 06:04PM »
So the question to £3mealdeal would be.....did you put Sunday's on your availability window....if not no need to opt out and can offer to work....if so.....opt out and can't offer to work....simples... ;)
« Last Edit: 07-05-19, 06:05PM by lucgeo »

£3MealDeal

« Reply #13 on: 07-05-19, 06:18PM »
So the question to £3mealdeal would be.....did you put Sunday's on your availability window....if not no need to opt out and can offer to work....if so.....opt out and can't offer to work....simples... ;)

Yeah I put them, my manager is pretty cool about it all, he said I can change my availability sheet whenever I want (not sure what he meant fully). As it is summer for university I might just leave the Sundays for now, and as soon as I am back at uni just remove them from my availability. Would that be a fair thing to do? I have a holiday booked from a Sunday-Tuesday in a months time, I'm presuming I just let him know I can't do that Sunday and that would be okay?

£3MealDeal

« Reply #14 on: 07-05-19, 06:20PM »
If anyone could clarify what I can do in terms of changing my availability that would be great, I was told once a year by a rep, but manager basically implied whenever I need to.

Appreciate all the advice by the way, thank you

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 07-05-19, 06:30PM »
Also forgot to ask, it says we need 48 hours of availability, but say I only have 24, if my manager accepts this is this allowed?

Yes. It is up to 48 hours availability, meaning you can have less.

Regardless of your availability form you are not obliged to do Sundays unless they form part of your core contract hours.

If your manager agrees you can do an availability form and change your availability at any time. Tesco is supposed to do an availability form at least once per year for all Flexi staff.

« Last Edit: 07-05-19, 06:32PM by Walker »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #16 on: 07-05-19, 07:44PM »
"you are not obliged to do Sundays unless they form part of your core contract hours"

However if you work more than Sundays you can opt out of Sunday working, core hours or not.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 07-05-19, 10:18PM »
That's true, Nomad, but I didn't go into the opt out because he said Sunday wasn't actually part of his core hours.

I was telling him he doesn't have to work Sundays.

« Last Edit: 07-05-19, 10:23PM by Walker »

jack_cohens_shame

« Reply #18 on: 08-05-19, 10:19AM »
If your manager 'is cool' about you changing your availability and has 'implied you can do that whenever you need to', why don't you do exactly that instead of wasting everyone's time on here with questions you clearly already know the answer to?
« Last Edit: 08-05-19, 10:23AM by an_anon »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #19 on: 08-05-19, 10:27AM »
@Walker.  But the part of your post I quoted certainly seems to imply that if Sundays is part of ones core contract hours then you have no option but to work Sundays, without explaining that there is a way out of working Sundays if one so wishes, unless of course one is a Sunday only worker, which I always thought a very strange exemption to make.

My post was aimed at persons in general who may have been misled.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

£3MealDeal

« Reply #20 on: 09-05-19, 05:12PM »
If your manager 'is cool' about you changing your availability and has 'implied you can do that whenever you need to', why don't you do exactly that instead of wasting everyone's time on here with questions you clearly already know the answer to?
Well for one my manager could promise things that he isn't allowed to do, my manager could change so I would have a different manager.

It's hardly me wasting your time if you don't want to comment and "waste your time" then simply don't...

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 09-05-19, 07:35PM »
Always a good idea to get in writing anything a manager promises, as you say, managers change, and if you ain't got it in writing, the new manager ain't interested....

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #22 on: 09-05-19, 09:18PM »
I don't think this promise is worth much even if you get it on paper.

Edit to add: He's saying that you can review your availability at any time which is fine. Just sensible management.

But you need your managers agreement to change your availability.

If he doesn't agree then you have a problem...
« Last Edit: 09-05-19, 09:28PM by Walker »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 09-05-19, 09:39PM »
Get it in writing, it's a contractual agreement between manager and GA....

Poent

« Reply #24 on: 10-05-19, 07:28PM »
We're also going through filling availability forms at the moment. We have also been told we have to have a 48 hour availability window. I have been told even though I have a second job (it's only a few hours a week) that because tesco is my first job it takes priority over my second job. I've have filled my sheet in around my second job but have been told that if they need me to work for those days I have to. At this rate I could have to give up my second job and be £200 worse off! Surely this can't be right! Other people have a 2 jobs but apparently as they had those before working for tesco then they can't touch them!