Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 04:02PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62884
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 116
Total: 118

Author Topic: Sickness  (Read 7605 times)

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
Re: Sickness
« Reply #25 on: 25-09-19, 09:13AM »
If you go on holiday from sick your holidays are cancelled and coded as sick unless you ring in to say fit to take your holiday.
If sick during holiday you are coded as holiday unless you produce a fit note. This puts the ball in your court. You can then decide for yourself if you want to use holiday days or sick. If someone has run out of paid sick they might decide to let the holidays stand for example. If someone has had an accident on holiday they may be off longer than expected and change holidays into sick. There are so many variables to this but yes, you can change holidays into sick but you need to provide proof. It's not just a matter of saying you had a cold so need to rebook hols on seven days self certificate.

J0097

« Reply #26 on: 04-11-19, 06:08PM »
Hi I am having a issue at work.

I currently fell of a ladder while painting at home and hurt my back i called the Duty Line (Tesco) to let them know that i have hurt my back and will require support as i am on grocery i am unable to bend and stretch the first week counted as self certified however my manager asked me to bring in a sick note saying i am unable to carry out my normal duties if i was going to ask for support after the first week so i brought in a sick note from the doctor stating that i need amended duties to carry out my work and that i should not be bending and stretching the
2nd week she put me on the checkouts
3rd week i was off sick because of the pain from my back
4th week i came back to work and i was put on label changing PI

my manager then pulled me into a meeting stating that she can no longer support me even though i have a sick not to state i can not do any bending and stretching in my job she also said that from this point on i am not allowed to do any over time i would just like to know weather this is true?
i mentioned to my manager that i will do overtime on checkouts as it does not involve bending and stretching and she was like you cannot do it

Am i allowed to do over time even if my store is supporting me with my back?
 The thing is i feel bullied and harassed by my manager i never do overtime in my store as i don't like doing at my store because my manager makes my life hard and constantly picks on me she has stopped my overtime as she doesn't like the fact that i am not helping out on my department grocery because i have a bad back and that instead i am on the checkouts or something different as a result of this she is trying to stop me from doing overtime and trying to get me to work on grocery.

Administrator Comment Post moved here from "Change run" topic. Please before posting try to find topic more relevant to your post. Nomad.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #27 on: 04-11-19, 08:53PM »
As far as I am aware if you are being supported  on normal duties at work you are refrained from doing overtime as it could be aggravating your symptoms and in turn prolonging your ability to resume your normal duties...apart from that if you feel that you are being bullied by your manager you need to speak to your union rep and take this further. Nobody should be made to feel they are being bullied...

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #28 on: 04-11-19, 11:07PM »
Yes , in our store if you're being supported for a return to work you would not be able to do overtime. 
Can I also add that few jobs in store require more bending and stretching than PI and it's very odd that's where they put you .

tjd123

« Reply #29 on: 12-11-19, 10:50AM »
Hi all, I'm sorry if this isn't where its supposed to be posted, but I recently had a sick day due to having a sick bug I had already had 4 days (3 periods) off ill before and had a attendance meeting to which it was taking and I was given a letter stating a first/second warning was given and it would be live for 8 weeks, there wasn't a mitigating circumstance for the 3rd period of two days off. I know I will have another meeting however I'm unsure on what to do as will I be fired or is there another step before this, I've had multiple panic attacks since this in worry about it, this is only a part time job for me as I'm going to uni next year however I'm worried about what I should do for the meeting.

Fair play

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #30 on: 12-11-19, 11:40AM »
You would have to be given your final warning before dismissal. Good luck it’s not worth worrying about

tjd123

« Reply #31 on: 12-11-19, 12:36PM »
Oh right OK thank you, that puts my mind at ease a bit many thanks

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #32 on: 12-11-19, 06:51PM »
Hi all, I'm sorry if this isn't where its supposed to be posted, but I recently had a sick day due to having a sick bug I had already had 4 days (3 periods) off ill before and had a attendance meeting to which it was taking and I was given a letter stating a first/second warning was given and it would be live for 8 weeks, there wasn't a mitigating circumstance for the 3rd period of two days off. I know I will have another meeting however I'm unsure on what to do as will I be fired or is there another step before this, I've had multiple panic attacks since this in worry about it, this is only a part time job for me as I'm going to uni next year however I'm worried about what I should do for the meeting.
Why are you off so much have you an underlying medical condition? 4 occasions in the 26 week period is quite alot it generally goes first warning 2nd warning final warning then can be fired ater that.

Also if you are part time then your sicknesses always happen on the days you are working?

tjd123

« Reply #33 on: 13-11-19, 12:37PM »
I've been there for a year now, so it's been over that period, but no it's just been 3 separate occasions 1st time was a migraine and the second was sickness from food, the 2 days in the summer was due to a head concussion however there was alcohol involved so i think that's what the warning was for, due to there not being any mitigating circumstances.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #34 on: 13-11-19, 04:34PM »
don't worry. if you're planning on leaving next year anyway there are plenty of part time jobs in other retailers especially this time of year. you never know they might even appreciate that people sometimes get ill! :-X

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #35 on: 13-11-19, 05:36PM »
I've been there for a year now, so it's been over that period, but no it's just been 3 separate occasions 1st time was a migraine and the second was sickness from food, the 2 days in the summer was due to a head concussion however there was alcohol involved so i think that's what the warning was for, due to there not being any mitigating circumstances.

What!! You told them you had been drinking, resulting in concussion ??? Or did they reach that conclusion because you said you were on a night / day out? Obviously you can't go into detail on here, but unless you openly told them you were inebriated and the concussion was a direct result, then they shouldn't have assumed and passed judgement, a hospital admission should be mitigating  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 14-11-19, 10:13AM »
Shock horror, someone admitted to the truth. There is far too much of people trying to get away with things. Colleagues encouraged to lie and managers accused of nor following process. We just all need to be more honest.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #37 on: 14-11-19, 11:12AM »
I don't think anything in my post suggested an encouragement to lie ??? I was asking did they give that information willingly or had the management made that assumption because the concussion may have occurred during a night out etc...I think too many assumptions are made by managers thinking they are competent to make judgements on medical conditions, because they watch casualty or E.R. And yes we all should follow the "open and honest" mantra shoved down our throats by Dave Lewis and his groupies, followed religiously every shift by the Senior team, S.M.'s and upwards :D

Managers accused of not following process :o heaven forbid :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 15-11-19, 11:15AM »
Just saying that there is a bit of a double standard on here sometimes. Managers blasted for not following policy but colleagues encouraged to lie.
I assume a night out that resulted in a fall that caused concussion would be all over social media or talk round the store. Everyone has the right to go out, have fun, get drunk or do what they want to do in their own spare time but during these times of social media it hard to hide what has happened. Even if not out with friends from work these things get known about in store, no point in hiding it.
We can admit to making mistakes, we are not robots. If we admit them when we do them we can be trusted.
We have people who have rung in sick but are on a night out, all over social media. We have people who ring in sick at the beginning or end of a holiday. We have people who work the system. With a bit more trust and honesty on both sides the people who do work the system would stand out more and when we really do have a request or an issue we may be believed.