Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
31-03-20, 01:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65825
  • Total Topics: 1158
  • Online Today: 162
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Transfer stores  (Read 4210 times)

Sjm

• VLH Supporter
Transfer stores
« on: 27-04-19, 08:43PM »
Hi does anyone know the process if you need to transfer due to moving away? I’m currently in process of trying to move due to personal circumstances and there will be a store closer to me which is much easier to travel to. My question is does there have to be a vacancy in the store I’m moving near, will I get the same or similar amount of hours? I’m open to changing my shift pattern but would like to keep my contracted days the same due to commitments that my current store are aware of, is this possible?
« Last Edit: 20-02-20, 11:00AM by Nomad »

Walker

• Know All
Re: Transfer stores
« Reply #1 on: 27-04-19, 09:03PM »
You apply to a open vacancy at the store you want to work at. Hours, contract type, days, department etc all depends on what vacancies that store has available.

No guarantees at all I am afraid.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 27-04-19, 09:04PM »
There would have to be a vacancy and you would have to apply for it , I believe it's the same procedure as if you were applying for a new job internally within your own store .

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 28-04-19, 01:04AM »
Hi does anyone know the process if you need to transfer due to moving away? I’m currently in process of trying to move due to personal circumstances and there will be a store closer to me which is much easier to travel to. My question is does there have to be a vacancy in the store I’m moving near, will I get the same or similar amount of hours? I’m open to changing my shift pattern but would like to keep my contracted days the same due to commitments that my current store are aware of, is this possible?
  There has to be a vacancy, hours are not guaranteed to be similar to what you're on now (though if it's an Express and you have an SM who likes hard workers, he/she will prioritise you for more hours provided you aren't lazy) and you don't interview for it (unless transferring to a higher position/work level) the only reason why you may not get it is needs of the business needs you at your store for some reason (usually due to higher than the average staff turnover/ no staff).
« Last Edit: 20-02-20, 11:00AM by Nomad »

jack_cohens_shame

« Reply #4 on: 28-04-19, 10:27AM »

What you do is, you pick the store you want to move to and they will create a brand new job role just for you with the exact hours and pay you need. In most cases you will be offered your own parking space and private toilet facilities too.
« Last Edit: 20-02-20, 10:58AM by Nomad »

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 28-04-19, 10:49AM »
I have moved stores a couple of times. First thing is to look at all the stores in the area, if only one you limit yourself. Next thing is to go online and fill out a profile on the job site. You can then select to be notified when jobs come up in the area you are interested in. Then when a job does come up you can just apply. You need to do this anyway but outside of this you can ask your manager to email the store(s). They may respond and if they do you might have an idea if it's worth holding out for a job or not. The best time to try fir transfer is when the students go off to uni.

Sjm

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 28-04-19, 03:54PM »
Thanks for the replies, apart from one, most helpful.  I also believe you can work between 2 stores anyone heard of this happening?

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 28-04-19, 03:59PM »
Yes, it can and does happen occasionally... I've known two people do that.

Modified to add: don't necessarily rely on getting a transfer, it is very unreliable. My personal opinion is you should look at outside jobs too.
« Last Edit: 28-04-19, 04:04PM by Walker »

Sjm

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 28-04-19, 04:04PM »
How does that work on flexi contracts etc?

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 28-04-19, 05:22PM »
It's either two jobs in which case it's two unique contracts each managed individually OR you are just working in the other store as overtime on a casual basis in which case obviously everything is managed at your main store.

Either way can happen.

My experience is it happens either when a store is in trouble and really needs staff OR when someone important e.g. a manager supports it.
« Last Edit: 28-04-19, 05:24PM by Walker »

Bizzaremonkey

« Reply #10 on: 30-04-19, 06:05PM »
So in theory, if transferring you could make upto a preferred amount of hours across multiple stores?

Imra17

« Reply #11 on: 19-02-20, 05:37PM »
Is it easy to get request a store transfer to Derby or would it be better if I chose Nottingham or Sheffield?
Thank you for the answers.

trolleyboy96

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 19-02-20, 06:39PM »
As above you can’t just transfer stores anymore, you need to apply via the Tesco careers page via the application you can let them know your an internal applicant then it’s wait to see if they interview you. If you don’t hear anything after a few days I would call the store speak to the manager of dept you applied for to let them know you have applied. Reason I say this is sometimes it’s missed that your internal.

Although currently due to rhrp all vacancies unless business critical should of been removed from the website or closed.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 20-02-20, 04:51AM »
You probably won't get in until the moving hours is resolved with checkouts, CSD and PI. They need to consider jobs for existing people first but it's worth a try. It's soft structure changes but even so it will hold things up. As said above the whole transfer thing is up to you via online.

SGE16

« Reply #14 on: 26-02-20, 05:54PM »
Hi there,
I am in a position where I would like to go for a transfer to another store that has come up online, I love my job and store however the other store is closer for me, saving 20 hours travel time and fuel a month. It is for the same role I currently hold (Team Manager) but my only concern is I have been with the company less than six months (all training complete and signed off) and I am unsure on the procedure or even if I can apply for the store.
Many thanks in advance.

Me2015

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 26-02-20, 06:06PM »
Need to tell your line manager you want to apply, there is usually a contact on the vacancy notice, write to them also.

Nothing to stop you applying

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 26-02-20, 08:19PM »
Hi there,
I am in a position where I would like to go for a transfer to another store that has come up online, I love my job and store however the other store is closer for me, saving 20 hours travel time and fuel a month. It is for the same role I currently hold (Team Manager) but my only concern is I have been with the company less than six months (all training complete and signed off) and I am unsure on the procedure or even if I can apply for the store.
Many thanks in advance.

With customer assistants you apply online, then an endorsement request email goes to your manager.  He clicks, yes or no.  If Yes, the recruiting stores sees that and invites you for interview. 

Could be different for managers.  Nothing stopping you applying and manager would need a very strong reason to say no to endorsing.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #17 on: 26-02-20, 08:42PM »
I'd open that particular system to scrutiny, realistically speaking anyone can be a ca, managers however, there's plenty of bad ones as well as good, this system is more likely to end up with the rejection of good cas or the endorsement of bad ones.

1man2jobs

« Reply #18 on: 26-02-20, 11:18PM »
just a warning. it took 2 years for me to get transferred. i was told by an ex colleague who use to be my line manager that it was blocked by lead mamager due to me working too hard. 2 years travelling on bus upto 4hr round trips on bad days. only resolved once that lead manager retired. whereas some guy with a massive 14% absence in the same period was tranferred whilst my requests got denied.

in my opinion system was abused

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 27-02-20, 08:21AM »
Not 100% on this but I thought managers had to be in role a year before they can request or apply for a move. If part of restructure its displaced managers first but outside of this it's a year in role. Not sure if this is curtesy or not though.

SGE16

« Reply #20 on: 28-02-20, 02:17AM »
Thank you for your responses!
Someone told me I would not be able to transfer for a certain amount of time, however I am unsure on how long this was and if it would prevent me from applying and I don't wish to go to my manager and express my interest In doing so until I know I can or cannot for sure! I thought I saw 6 months on 'Our Tesco' but another manager suggested it was 18 months new to role and another from another store has said nothing to stop me!

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 28-02-20, 06:52AM »
I think it all comes down to needs of the business. If other store has a long standing vacancy and your store could fill yours they would probably bend rules. On the other hand if your store has a retainment issue they will stick to rules if they can. Moving closer to where you live and saving on travel expenses makes sense but people have had pay increase to part compensate for this. Not so sure they can still do this though. The best thing would be to talk to your SM, say you have seen job and the saving on travel time and expense appeals but you would like to see through your time. You just worry that jobs don't come up often and that is the only thing that you are thinking. The time is not right to move but you are tempted by the opportunity. Discus situation and try and get more rounded view.