Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-09-19, 12:05AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60873
  • Total Topics: 1071
  • Online Today: 101
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Driver being pushed out ?  (Read 5009 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Driver being pushed out ?
« on: 16-04-19, 02:41PM »
I'm a dotcom driver but recently developed pain in an old injury, Asked and indeed have line (for about 6 weeks) for adjustments to be made from GP, stating no heavy lifting etc. have tried to get manager to put me on C&C which i find doesn't aggravate the problem as the driving/delivering does but i've been put on checkouts instead, manager claims that's all he can do and yet he now on occasion has put non drivers on C&C (which i could have done) and in some instances the non driver isn't even able to bring the van in and out the yard (and may be breaking rules i think having the keys on them even if van is at the C&C area), same doesn't unload the van when done and leaves it for a driver to bring in which also means log book isn't being done till next day. Would i have any reasonable grounds for a grievance as I feel i'm being pushed out or would it be more likely that the manager just doesn't want to take chances on me hurting myself further ?. Personally i'm inclined knowing the managers ways up till now its probably the former.
DFL

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Driver being pushed out ?
« Reply #1 on: 16-04-19, 02:57PM »

"oh hey, i'd like to make a grievance as my manager is taking precautions to protect my health"

bizarre.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 16-04-19, 03:31PM »
The manager has given you lighter duties to help you recover  and is adhering to the doctors note by the sounds of things .
You don't get to choose where your lighter duties are so it is irrelevant what is going on at C&C . 

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 16-04-19, 04:01PM »
I understand those comments because i havent explained full circumstances, to begin with i received huge pressure to continue driving instead of light duties to the point it was in my view harassing behaviour. My concern now is because i refused to do so the c&c which i suggested made perfect sense isnt being offered because manager wants all or nothing, and would rather just "move me on".
DFL

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 16-04-19, 05:20PM »
@dfl.....i have to say that thissounds like the Tosco we all know and love...they would always cut their noses off to spite their face in my honest opinion. :-X :-X :-X
The worlds me lobster

panther

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 16-04-19, 05:42PM »
I understand those comments because i havent explained full circumstances, to begin with i received huge pressure to continue driving instead of light duties to the point it was in my view harassing behaviour. My concern now is because i refused to do so the c&c which i suggested made perfect sense isnt being offered because manager wants all or nothing, and would rather just "move me on".

I'm sorry, I agree with Welshie. I don't believe, for one minute, that any manager would let you do something that didn't make their life easier (From what you say, C&C would have done that) You are obviously not happy with checkouts, but normally you do not get to pick and choose what 'light duties' you can perform. Heavy lifting will still be on C&C. Sorry, my opinion

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #6 on: 16-04-19, 06:15PM »
Panther, its not the heavy lifting as much as bending knee thats the problem, c&c one box at a time and no flats is piece of cake in comparison. I do however appreciate you opinion.
DFL

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 16-04-19, 07:08PM »
..anyone for a game of Tosco chicken.?...I think the manager is trying to get you back for 'being awkward' . If it were me on the receiving end of this I would do the following:

1)over the next couple of weeks, come to enjoy working the checkouts (obviously not the response that the manager wants).
2) before your note runs out, get a new one that suggests a 'gradual' return to your previous duties is needed. After all going from light duties straight back to your previous work may be toooooo much toooooo soon. So an intermediate step would be required (hello C&C).

3) This intermediate step might take a while, until you get your strength back and feel really, really, really (did I say 'really') confident that your knees can handle the work load.

4) Obviously after many weeks getting back to your original strength, you may become strong enough to return to your usual duties (or you may not).
Obviously steps 2, 3,and 4 would not even have been needed, if your manager had not 'over-thought' things. And when this time comes you may like to remind your manager of this fact. The words 'I told you so' are often worth waiting for for their justification.
Just my opinion (-*-)
« Last Edit: 16-04-19, 07:11PM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 16-04-19, 08:18PM »
Opt out  , why ? Just to screw with a manager ??? The manager is supporting the light duties , you'd be the first one on here saying put in a grievance if he wasn't.
You cannot say have a doctor's note stating "No heavy lifting" and then ask  to go to C&C  , the totes are still.picked the same way and will have the same weight in them as the ones for delivery. They still have to be loaded and unloaded to/from van which still entails bending and stretching . As i said previously you cant pick your light duties even if you dont like being stuck in a store , on a check-out when you are used to being out on the road !

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 16-04-19, 08:41PM »
Honestly it sounds like you got the doctor to write the wrong fit note... Should have been a 'limited walking/ no climbing stairs' fit note.

If I was a manager supporting an employee with a fit note that specified no heavy lifting I wouldn't let them on click and collect either...

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #10 on: 16-04-19, 09:26PM »
Interesting comments and thanks for them all so far, the checkouts is fine, im actually liking it, the managers been well informed its only the bending of the knee(s) thats troublesome, loading or unloading a van one box at a time (as it is normally done) does not require the knees to be bent, i speak from having done it many times, however climbing stairs in flats for example carrying boxes is a whole different ball game.
DFL

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 17-04-19, 12:38AM »
"I put in a fit note for light duties.. now my manager has put me on light duties. Do i have a case for a grievance?"

Sometimes i think half of you lot just like to complain

genome

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #12 on: 17-04-19, 02:27AM »
to be honest sounds like the manager doing the right thing. if it says no heavy lifting on your note then that's what he's ensuring.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 17-04-19, 02:39PM »
..anyone for a game of Tosco chicken.?...I think the manager is trying to get you back for 'being awkward' . If it were me on the receiving end of this I would do the following:

1)over the next couple of weeks, come to enjoy working the checkouts (obviously not the response that the manager wants).
2) before your note runs out, get a new one that suggests a 'gradual' return to your previous duties is needed. After all going from light duties straight back to your previous work may be toooooo much toooooo soon. So an intermediate step would be required (hello C&C).

3) This intermediate step might take a while, until you get your strength back and feel really, really, really (did I say 'really') confident that your knees can handle the work load.

4) Obviously after many weeks getting back to your original strength, you may become strong enough to return to your usual duties (or you may not).
Obviously steps 2, 3,and 4 would not even have been needed, if your manager had not 'over-thought' things. And when this time comes you may like to remind your manager of this fact. The words 'I told you so' are often worth waiting for for their justification.
Just my opinion (-*-)

optout, spot on with your reply, i agree that the manager has indeed overthought things, and its such a shame too that some managers think including this one that anything you get a line for isn't a legit reason to come off your usual duty, the pressure he initially exerted on me to return was wrong. he has even refused several times to involve Occupational health who's involvement I have requested. I'm just concerned that he isn't making attempts to move me elsewhere for "being awkward"
DFL

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 20-04-19, 06:40AM »
Well, seems like manager is still determined, few weeks left of line, wants me to do couple of days driving followed by couple of days checkouts as phased return next week, when asked about c & c says no he's covering that with "non drivers", he's some cookie, his non drivers don't bring the van in or out the yard, sometimes isn't even their name on the driver allocation. Wonder if its even legal for the non drivers to have the van keys on them whilst in the van
DFL

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 20-04-19, 09:57PM »
As @Walker says (or seems to imply) in reply#9
Better to get a more specific note at some stage, saying no heavy lifting upstairs.
As you have said, the stairs are the problem and this is the part of the job you are unable to do at present.

This will reduce the managers ability to 'interpret' the note to his own ends.
When you have gotten the more specific note, then involve occupational health, if required, on a more formal level.
Remember that it is usually better to say that you may improve at a point in the future, than give an ultimatum saying 'never'. Of course when the date arrives at the point in the future, you could always extend the time required at that time, if you still need time and haven't fully recovered.
All depends on doctors note and advice. get this updated note first.

As far as I am aware, it is not up to your manager to say if you can or can't see occupational health. Your manager is probably not a doctor, and even if he was, he is not YOUR doctor. If you want OH involved speak to your personnel manager directly.

Slimjim51

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #16 on: 20-04-19, 11:23PM »
Christ on a bike, I'm soooo glad I've left the s*** hole. Get out and get a job somewhere else. Tesco is a joke.
Glad to be gone!

Thomas_09

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 22-04-19, 10:30AM »
Does anyone find the process for Crc checks poor? How many drivers actually have them in stores?

Voiceofreason

« Reply #18 on: 22-04-19, 06:37PM »
It seems like the manager is doing his job and does seem like you thought you could get out of doing your job and think you’d have an easy life.. we have drivers like that in our store too but click and collect is actually much busier than the vans and over the course of the day can actually lift/load/unload 3/4 times as much weight so realistically if you can carry that you’d be able to complete most van trips. Our click and collect drivers actually quite like going out in a van for a rest.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 22-04-19, 07:09PM »
The difference being that on C&C you are only carrying the trays a few paces on the level to the customer's car.  You need to also factor in the distance carried the nature of rough, uneven ground, squeezing and twisting between parked cars and down cluttered hallways not to mention negotiating flights of steps.  That said I would rather be on the road rather than covering C&C.  For one thing, easier to take a look break!
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 22-04-19, 09:05PM »
The human anatomy is complex. This complexity ensures that walking with weight upon level ground, and walking with (or without) weight up and down stairs cause completely different stresses upon different part of the anatomy, be that the musculature of the body, the skeletal system, the nervous system, ligaments, tendons etc. Tesco managers are not doctors, even if they did do a first aid course once, and they can still remember most of it.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 22-04-19, 11:10PM »
But the doctors letter states " no heavy lifting" , you don't need to be a doctor to realise that totes in c&c can be heavy and need to be lifted !!
The anatomy of humans may be complicated or the letter may be incorrect but the manager is supporting the colleague and the colleague still bloody moaning .
It's colleagues like this that make it difficult for others who genuinely need return to work plans and manage to get their doctor to give the correct information on fit notes 😠😠

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 23-04-19, 07:21AM »
There is no personnel managers in most stores now to my knowledge, also this is a genuine problem to climb stairs on the driving, c & c is not a problem because as many have mentioned there is no need to bend knees.
DFL

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 23-04-19, 12:03PM »
The problem is your fit note says "no heavy lifting" not no bending knees . Yet you are accusing the manager of being difficult , the fault lies with you for not ensuring the fit note has the correct information. 
If someone came in with a bad back and fit note stated no heavy lifting and the manager insisted on putting them on C&C , the manager would be at fault .

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 23-04-19, 08:06PM »
Manager has also ignored/refused access to OH.