Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-09-19, 04:00AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60705
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 117
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 88
Total: 90

Author Topic: CCTV  (Read 11563 times)

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
CCTV
« on: 14-04-19, 02:08PM »
Hi, I was in store as a customer the other day,I spotted a chap ping fillet steaks into his bag. I went to security at the front and tried to point him out on the CCTV console,well one the "ladies" at customer service started saying "he's not allowed to look,he's not allowed to look" etc. Security said he's pointed out a shoplifter. I said it's ok I work here,she then got snotty with us. Well,what's the "rules" on pointing someone out? I wasn't taking pics or filming the screen,just pointing out a Thief. They did catch him with £120+ worth.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
Re: CCTV
« Reply #1 on: 14-04-19, 04:40PM »
You are not allowed to look at cctv, the lady on the customer service desk was correct.

an_anon

« Reply #2 on: 14-04-19, 06:11PM »
The lesson here is do your job when you're on the clock and leave Tesco at the door on your way out. Let them die on their own sword.
« Last Edit: 14-04-19, 06:12PM by an_anon »

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 14-04-19, 07:01PM »
Strange times >:( In our store you usually get a scrum of "colleagues" around the camera ogling someone (-*-) Policy seems to be trampled underfoot when it is an attractive woman or a alcoholic making a complete pr*t of themself :D ;D

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 14-04-19, 11:53PM »
I'm not gonna stand there and let someone steal. Only a complete Richard cranium would do that. but as for loads standing round the monitor,that happens every single day. Why is pointing a thief out not allowed? It can't be for data protection as I'm not recording anything or anyone. Can anyone provide a link to the rules?

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 15-04-19, 12:41AM »
The dpa etc covers recorded data, BUT I cannot find any mention of viewing live footage (I suppose this could come down to whether or where in the electronic chain the footage signal is recorded). If you viewed the recorded footage (which I think you did) dpa would apply, as it would at that point be recorded personal data. but if you were just viewing live footage to show who the offender was, and then the security guy then viewed the footage of the recorded offence (alone/ not with you), this would raise an interesting argument.

Maybe contact the ico, they are usually pretty good at responding to questions.

PS if you contact the ico, you may be better to raise it as a 'hypothetical' question. Starting with, '....if a person were to.......?(etc)'.

https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/helpline/

helpline on 0303 123 1113 (local rate – calls to this number cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers).Our normal opening hours are Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm (excluding bank holidays).
« Last Edit: 15-04-19, 12:42AM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 15-04-19, 01:53AM »
You are not allowed to look at cctv, the lady on the customer service desk was correct.
Right or wrong she is a complete berk! someone stealing and people are worried about the "rights" of that person being viewed by someone else on cctv.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #7 on: 15-04-19, 03:36AM »
I was watching it live,not recorded. It was showing the security guard who the guy was stealing

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 15-04-19, 05:07AM »
Strictly speaking it is against Tesco CCTV policy, as there should be a list of people who have access to CCTV in store (live or not).

Whether it's against data protection, I don't know, Tesco policy may just be overly cautious. 

Though for what's  worth, it just sounds like she is being a jobsworth.

an_anon

« Reply #9 on: 15-04-19, 08:29AM »
I'm not gonna stand there and let someone steal. Only a complete Richard cranium would do that. but as for loads standing round the monitor,that happens every single day. Why is pointing a thief out not allowed? It can't be for data protection as I'm not recording anything or anyone. Can anyone provide a link to the rules?

This attitude is what baffles me. Tesco have been removing departments and benefits, reducing hours everywhere, forcing flexi-contracts, making staff redundant and causing stress for several years now all while offering one of the lowest wages so that the directors can get huge bonuses. Yet staff like you still want to go the extra mile. You are nuts.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #10 on: 15-04-19, 10:50AM »
In terms of CCTV I wonder if there is a policy, as such, for watching a live image? I only say this because I was at a hotel a few weeks back, in the North West, and when you walked in/out of the reception you could clearly see other guests, as well as yourself, on the nice 32" HD screen!

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #11 on: 15-04-19, 04:14PM »

This attitude is what baffles me. Tesco have been removing departments and benefits, reducing hours everywhere, forcing flexi-contracts, making staff redundant and causing stress for several years now all while offering one of the lowest wages so that the directors can get huge bonuses. Yet staff like you still want to go the extra mile. You are nuts.
I'm not nuts mate,I've got morals.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 15-04-19, 06:33PM »

Mate what happens in your store is no concern of mine and to be frank i dont care all I did was point out it is against company policy for anyone to view the cctv who is not either security the duty manger store/security manager.

Same as its forbidden for line managers to go into the cctv office at all the only people allowed in there according to policy is the security manager store manager and security staff it even states in policy that the code to the cctv door is to be changed every time a new security manager is appointed so the old one can no longer open the door to gain access.

Like I said you do as you please as do your managers but if you fancy making a fuss report them.
« Last Edit: 15-04-19, 06:35PM by forrestgimp »

DefyTheRighteous

« Reply #13 on: 15-04-19, 06:36PM »
Are you on the CCTV disclosure book as an authorised user? If you are not, then you shouldn't have access to CCTV regardless if it is live or a recording. Only authorised users may access the CCTV system at any time. This is to comply with DPA 1998, GDPR and ICO CCTV guidelines.

Tesco: https://prnt.sc/ncbs24
ICO: http://prntscr.com/ncbu58 and http://prntscr.com/ncbva4

You can look at this for further info: https://ico.org.uk/media/1542/cctv-code-of-practice.pdf
« Last Edit: 15-04-19, 06:41PM by DefyTheRighteous »
If freedom means anything at all, it is the right to tell other people what they don't want to hear.
George Orwell

DefyTheRighteous

« Reply #14 on: 15-04-19, 06:42PM »
In terms of CCTV I wonder if there is a policy, as such, for watching a live image? I only say this because I was at a hotel a few weeks back, in the North West, and when you walked in/out of the reception you could clearly see other guests, as well as yourself, on the nice 32" HD screen!

This may interest you: http://prntscr.com/ncbu58
If freedom means anything at all, it is the right to tell other people what they don't want to hear.
George Orwell

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 15-04-19, 06:56PM »
I dont get what the problem is, The law may not be as strict as Tesco but we have to as well as obeying the law follow the policy as its set out by our employers. the bloke a couple of posts up has linked the company policy so if you decide its stupid or you do not have to accept what it says and can do as you please fair enough as I say i could give a monkeys but be prepared for the ramifications of your own actions.

Sorry it seems he has linked a few weird pictures and the governments code of conduct, my point stands do as you please but for crying out loud do not come here shouting about the injustice of it all when you get dismissed for gross misconduct.

Edit no2... Go to our tesco the policy is on there for all to see read it and disregard it if you want.
« Last Edit: 15-04-19, 07:01PM by forrestgimp »

DefyTheRighteous

« Reply #16 on: 15-04-19, 07:30PM »
There is no problem, the majority of shops, businesses, companies etc. don't follow the CCTV code of conduct at all. There is so much red tape regarding CCTV that nobody gives a toss except from big corporations. Those pics are from Tesco click n learn and ICO code of conduct.
« Last Edit: 15-04-19, 07:36PM by DefyTheRighteous »
George Orwell

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 18-04-19, 05:15PM »
Regarding who is "authorised" to look at the monitor,any customer coming from the toilets or the cafe can see everything on both monitors.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 18-04-19, 06:24PM »
Can see but not view.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 18-04-19, 09:33PM »
Don't Know whether this clarifies anything but this is straight from the horses mouth, the ICO, In response to the following email;

'is the viewing of live CCTV feed covered by dpa, as to who can and who can't view said feed?'

Dear #####

Thank you for your email of ## April 2019.

The data protection legislation may touch upon who is able to access CCTV footage captured by an organisation to some extent.

Although it would not define precisely which individuals within an organisation are able to view CCTV footage, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) places an obligation on organisations to process personal information securely. This should ensure that individuals who do not require access to the personal information captured by the CCTV are not permitted to view it. It would therefore be for the organisation to determine what specific measures they took to make individuals aware of this. However, awareness may be raised most typically through having a clearly defined CCTV policy or offering training to individuals highlighting this.

You can view further information about an organisations [you]security requirements[/you]  on our website.

Yours sincerely

#######
Case Officer
Information Commissioner's Office

I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 20-04-19, 01:09AM »
Right or wrong she is a complete berk! someone stealing and people are worried about the "rights" of that person being viewed by someone else on cctv.

Actually there quite right any GDPR offence can fine a business 18 million pounds now hence why every business is taking things to the extreme when it comes to data and cctv etc

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #21 on: 20-04-19, 10:01AM »
I fail to see how watching a live feed falls foul of any law(s) etc, I can stand in the doorway of a lot of supermarkets and watch a live CCTV feed on a monitor of people coming and going.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 20-04-19, 11:15AM »
I've spoken to a manager and a former guard and they said there's no problem with what I did. In fact the "lady" on customer service was out of order the way she spoke to me.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 20-04-19, 06:05PM »
I fail to see how watching a live feed falls foul of any law(s) etc, I can stand in the doorway of a lot of supermarkets and watch a live CCTV feed on a monitor of people coming and going.

I am in absolute and total agreement with you, However we all report to someone and my someone has written a policy that says my job is on the line should I allow any colleague to view the cctv on the lecturn or in the office. So with that in mind probably best not to ask as a refusal sometimes causes offence.

I've spoken to a manager and a former guard and they said there's no problem with what I did. In fact the "lady" on customer service was out of order the way she spoke to me.

Look mate, im sure you are a very nice person who is just looking out for Tescos best interests but i'm afraid both people you spoke to are wrong in what they said except the way the lady spoke to you of that i have no opinion.

Go onto our tesco the policy is laid out in black and white for you to read and it very clearly states you are not permitted to look at view ogle have a gander or any other term you use to see what is on the live screen or recording.

For your own sake read up on it because should you come up against someone above you like the person above me you will be in a world of hurt for doing what you did.
« Last Edit: 20-04-19, 06:09PM by forrestgimp »

Rossco

« Reply #24 on: 27-05-19, 09:16PM »
Hi, I have a question. Have any of you heard of the new HD CCTV Being installed to stores so that someone is able to essentially read a phone screen of anyone in the store (customers or staff)
Where do the data protection and human rights issue stand on this? Shouldn’t that be wrong?