Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 02:40AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60801
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 88
Total: 89

Author Topic: CCTV  (Read 11593 times)

penguin

• Sad Muppet
Re: CCTV
« Reply #25 on: 27-05-19, 09:37PM »
Don't know what the law says on that but from a moral point of view its totally wrong.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #26 on: 28-05-19, 01:12AM »
Hi, I have a question. Have any of you heard of the new HD CCTV Being installed to stores so that someone is able to essentially read a phone screen of anyone in the store (customers or staff)
Where do the data protection and human rights issue stand on this? Shouldn’t that be wrong?
we were told about this over a year ago, apparently they can and will zoom in on your phone and see what's on the screen. I have my phone on me because I'm a carer and if my disabled wife needs anything I can call her or txt. I'd be fuming if my screen was viewed by someone in Warrington having a nosey.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #27 on: 28-05-19, 06:17PM »
Hi, I have a question. Have any of you heard of the new HD CCTV Being installed to stores so that someone is able to essentially read a phone screen of anyone in the store (customers or staff)
Where do the data protection and human rights issue stand on this? Shouldn’t that be wrong?

We have it so they say and its complete garbage, When we zoom in it gets pixilated very quickly because its digital zoom and not optical couple that with all of the cameras running from the wireless internet (to our work computers at least) which claps out every 5 seconds so it all goes off and its a worse system than the old one.

Now that being said I get the feeling from what the bloke higher up in the company says now and again when he comes is that they can do shed loads of different stuff than we can on ours at their end, it says the license has expired and wont allow us to do anything more than the basic stuff no number plate recognition no facial recognition no checking POS as it goes through the till no reading the items put through as they go through while we watch them do it.... All the options are there they just dont work for us presumably we do not have high enough user permissions. As for the data protection stuff we and customers are told about the recording when we enter and so by continuing to work/shop there we agree to it.
« Last Edit: 28-05-19, 06:19PM by forrestgimp »

baldeagle

• Regular Pain
« Reply #28 on: 28-05-19, 07:36PM »
And what are the customers told the cameras are for. Any other use is a breach of the data protection act.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #29 on: 28-05-19, 08:09PM »
All the signs in staff areas would also need updating as nothing mentioned on them about viewing phone screens via cctv.

Notorious3

« Reply #30 on: 28-05-19, 08:54PM »
Maybe it’s the new managers mobiles you have heard about. They have software on them that can remote view the phone. Maybe even turn on the camera and mic???

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #31 on: 29-05-19, 09:54AM »
All the signs in staff areas would also need updating as nothing mentioned on them about viewing phone screens via cctv.

Agreed.....though unless specifically agreed by the S.M., colleagues should not have their mobile on them whilst working.....which contradicts the push for all to have the App on their phones for product enquiries from the customer....and there should be no CCTV in the rest rooms, changing rooms to Zoom in on phone screens....so as usual Tesco make rules that are totally contradictory, make everything more complicated than need be, a reps dream.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #32 on: 30-05-19, 11:18AM »
There are a lot of places in our store where there is no cctv coverage, Obvious ones like changing rooms and toilets along with restbite and incredibly enough the bakery, You could do what you want in our bakery and we would have no clue.

jimos87

« Reply #33 on: 30-05-19, 11:57PM »
The guards cant stop them unless they see them doing it anyway so telling them is a waste of time. 

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #34 on: 31-05-19, 12:05AM »
 They did stop him. Got back £120 worth of steak

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #35 on: 02-06-19, 03:26AM »
The guards cant stop them unless they see them doing it anyway so telling them is a waste of time.

Not really, reviewing cctv and reporting the crime to police is the order of the day. If you dont want to say anything thats up to you.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #36 on: 02-06-19, 12:08PM »
What is a lot of people’s problem with cctv, it is for the safety of staff as well as the loss of stock.  If you are only doing the job you should have no issue with the cameras being pointed on you all shift.  The difficulty is there is are too many people who feel they contribute to the team by standing talking and griping about other staff and new routines.

Gene of the lamp

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #37 on: 02-06-19, 04:30PM »
Hi all, just wondering where the staff stand on the store manager using CCTV to monitor staff in the store? Staff are being warned by managers for chatting, give some people a little power and it goes to their heads!

My understanding is that CCTV cannot be used in this way and the purpose of CCTV should be clearly relayed to staff.

Thanks in advance for replies   :-*

Global Moderator Comment Topics merged.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #38 on: 02-06-19, 06:38PM »
When you say "warned" do you mean a verbal warning in an office in a lets talk....a written warning, or a heads up??

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #39 on: 02-06-19, 07:05PM »
Hi all, just wondering where the staff stand on the store manager using CCTV to monitor staff in the store? Staff are being warned by managers for chatting, give some people a little power and it goes to their heads!

My understanding is that CCTV cannot be used in this way and the purpose of CCTV should be clearly relayed to staff.

Topics merged.

Its specifically prohibited according to the Tesco CCTV policy, have a look on our tesco at the policy its all there in black and white, the cctv is not to be used to check on members of staff for purposes of productivity standing and chatting going for breaks. My advice would be to grievance it, I stopped all the managers doing that in our store simply by showing them the policy.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #40 on: 02-06-19, 07:46PM »
forrestgimp

Good for you. I am made from chocolate and could eat myself.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 03-06-19, 07:09AM »

Topics merged.

Its specifically prohibited according to the Tesco CCTV policy, have a look on our tesco at the policy its all there in black and white, the cctv is not to be used to check on members of staff for purposes of productivity standing and chatting going for breaks. My advice would be to grievance it, I stopped all the managers doing that in our store simply by showing them the policy.

When you say "warned" do you mean a verbal warning in an office in a lets talk....a written warning, or a heads up??

Which is why I asked for clarification.......written is best.....noted or witnessed let's talk would be good, but is it a heads up from the managers, who can't manage their team, using the old trick of SM is saying or doing whatever, just letting you know mate  ;)

Anything written, noted or verbal in front of witnesses, then you're good to go with a grievance against the store for misuse of CCTV monitoring equipment.

So Gene, if there are a lot of people being told the same thing, then you can also group grievance, regardless of any witness to individual conversations, the common thread is that you're all being told the same thing, very difficult to deny and say you're all lying, or misunderstood.
« Last Edit: 03-06-19, 07:15AM by lucgeo »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #42 on: 03-06-19, 05:02PM »

Agreed.....though unless specifically agreed by the S.M., colleagues should not have their mobile on them whilst working.....which contradicts the push for all to have the App on their phones for product enquiries from the customer....and there should be no CCTV in the rest rooms, changing rooms to Zoom in on phone screens....so as usual Tesco make rules that are totally contradictory, make everything more complicated than need be, a reps dream.

I thought staff were allowed to have phones on them while working, if on silent and just being used to help customers out via the inform app (at least I think its called inform).

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #43 on: 03-06-19, 05:20PM »
I have my phone on me at all times for checking the sports results.  Don’t care if I am caught. :)

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #44 on: 03-06-19, 05:47PM »

I thought staff were allowed to have phones on them while working, if on silent and just being used to help customers out via the inform app (at least I think its called inform).

They are yes.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #45 on: 03-06-19, 05:51PM »
Inform and InMoment, one is used for stock availability and one is used to monitor customer feedback.

rayinski

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #46 on: 03-06-19, 09:52PM »
I have my phone on my person at all times, then again it's part of my adjustment passport and as long as it's on silent and I don't take calls/reply to texts, whilst on the shop floor, it's all good.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 03-06-19, 11:39PM »
I have my phone on me at all times for checking the sports results.  Don’t care if I am caught. :)
Must admit I was asked to come in an hour early this evening and used my mobile to listen to the end of the England v Pakistan cricket match (which finished before my normal start time).
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #48 on: 04-06-19, 06:48AM »

They are yes.

Yet in my old store, there were posters everywhere stating that no personal possessions, i.e. Money, car keys or 'phone to be carried on you whilst working. A few were pulled up on it during staff searches. Also when the push came to have the app on your phone, I was one who refused, as I asked at the time if Tesco would replace my 'phone if it was damaged or stolen whilst using it on the shopfloor......guess what the answer was  :-X

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #49 on: 04-06-19, 08:36AM »
Must admit I was asked to come in an hour early this evening and used my mobile to listen to the end of the England v Pakistan cricket match (which finished before my normal start time).

:thumbup: :)