Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 01:59AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60801
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 87
Total: 89

Author Topic: Universal credit  (Read 3637 times)

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
Universal credit
« on: 03-07-19, 07:04AM »
My daughter gets universal credit is a single parent and has a job thats less than 25 hours a week, The expectation may well be there but all that happens with her is she is given a base amount she would qualify for then they remove a portion of it for the wages she receives so she is better off working but not by a whole lot.

Not sure about the overtime situation she hasnt mentioned anything, One thing though. My wife and I had to give her £1000 to tide her over for the 5 weeks she was without any money while the old benefits stopped and the new ones kicked in not sure how people cope without a lifeline.

an_anon

Re: Universal credit
« Reply #1 on: 03-07-19, 10:18AM »
Thanks for sharing.............................

Moo36

« Reply #2 on: 07-07-19, 06:43PM »

An ellipsis  should only have 3 dots...

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 07-07-19, 08:59PM »
my understanding is it pays you to work if you can. you get the increase wages and a percentage of the universal credits 37%

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 08-07-19, 07:23AM »

An ellipsis  should only have 3 dots...

If that was an_anon's intention of thoughts trailing off, or maybe just using personal preference of expression, but thanks for sharing. Mi Vida Loca .....................................................................
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 08-07-19, 09:29AM »
my understanding is it pays you to work if you can. you get the increase wages and a percentage of the universal credits 37%

No idea what the % is but I saw the form she got and they took a good lump off for the wages she receives. However she does get more working than not working.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 08-07-19, 12:40PM »
It's to stop this nonsense situation across the entire economy not just Tesco of people doing 16 hours and thats it just to get maximum benefits with minimum work.
If you can work more to earn more you get more but if you are unable too it doesnt cut off the benfits.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 08-07-19, 02:39PM »
Britains welfare system is horrendously broken, Universal credit is a shambles, the Welfare System as a whole is an attack on the disabled.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 08-07-19, 04:43PM »
Not sure where you get the attack on the disabled from?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 08-07-19, 05:09PM »
Compared to the system before universal credit, they were on more and scrutinized less, fair enough the government wanting more people in work, but their gestapo UC policies have led those not fit to work, in work and some have died as a result weeks later. It's akin to the spartan system of chucking new borns off a cliff if they're deemed defective but with extra red tape.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 08-07-19, 05:23PM »
While I agree with you if people didn't take advantage when they didn't need it there wouldn't be such an issue.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 08-07-19, 07:23PM »
Compared to the system before universal credit, they were on more and scrutinized less, fair enough the government wanting more people in work, but their gestapo UC policies have led those not fit to work, in work and some have died as a result weeks later. It's akin to the spartan system of chucking new borns off a cliff if they're deemed defective but with extra red tape.

The thing is PIP or the old DLA are not work assessed as in it makes no difference if you work or dont if you qualify you get them if you dont you dont, The job seekers part where you are put on the slightly higher rate and dont have to look for a job is assessed to see if you are able to work and you get taken off it if you are deemed capable.

Not seeing any discrimination there to be honest.

The problem as I see it is when people are told they can work and so are put on the lower amount and expected to look for jobs when they dont want to, They still get whatever part of PIP they are entitled to be it all or part there of but even full whack without taking the car is not enough to live on.
« Last Edit: 08-07-19, 07:26PM by forrestgimp »

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 08-07-19, 08:12PM »
The DLA rate was significantly higher than what you get for universal credit, yes "IF" you can work, you'll be better off, but those that can't basically get a pay cut (incapacity benefit has also been taken away and replaced with "ESA" another benefit which takes away from the disabled). Many human rights groups, UN members etc have commented on how draconian the new welfare system is.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 08-07-19, 08:38PM »
Any debate on the benefits system should include access to the official figures for spending in the UK, so that things can be judged in-the-round.

eg: More is spent on Waste Management, than welfare.

More than 3 times as much spent on Central Government than Policing services.

Official figures are here (see link), probably not as much spent on the much vilified-(and voiceless)-scapegoats-for-every-ill 'unemployed' as many may have thought.

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/year_spending_2018UKbt_17bc1n_40465080#ukgs302

More spent on Broadcasting and Publishing than on Policing Services.

We could euthanase the unemployed and have an extra channel on the tv. Although I think that the admin involved in this initiative would probably amount to more than it actually saved. Hmmm... a quandary...we could either pay current admin folk extra to do the job (Any admin folk like to earn more money, OR would you play nice and give the unemployed a go?), OR, employ the unemployed to admin their own deaths. BUT this could get confusing because they would then no longer technically be unemployed. My head hurts now.

Maybe we should be bumping off pensioners ;)

The truth is that the tax payers money has always been squandered, and the voiceless have always been blamed for it. The unemployed do not have a spokesperson to defend them.

I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 09-07-19, 07:07PM »
The DLA rate was significantly higher than what you get for universal credit, yes "IF" you can work, you'll be better off, but those that can't basically get a pay cut (incapacity benefit has also been taken away and replaced with "ESA" another benefit which takes away from the disabled). Many human rights groups, UN members etc have commented on how draconian the new welfare system is.

Universal credit has nothing to do with DLA it never has nor has the old style benefits. DLA no longer exists its called PIP (personal independence payment) and both are independent of whether you work or receive benefits.

So not sure where you get the pay cut from, if you are eligible to work you get the job seekers money not ESA thing but in both cases if you get PIP then you get PIP regardless and your universal credit does not go down because of it.

Explain whats draconian about being expected to work if you are able?

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 10-07-19, 08:25AM »
Why do you think it takes up to six weeks to receive any payment?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 10-07-19, 07:05PM »
No idea to be honest its ridiculous they expect someone with no money to pay bills with nothing or expect the housing gas and electric people to go 'dont worry about it for the next 5 weeks' not to mention putting food on the table.

hige

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 10-07-19, 07:07PM »
Hey, I'm new to this forum. How can I make a post of my own?

Sorry for unrelated reply.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 10-07-19, 07:12PM »
you have to become a member matey for a very reasonable £2 a year, to help with the running costs of this marvellous resource.

hige

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #19 on: 10-07-19, 07:13PM »
Thanks