Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 01:06AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60801
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 98
Total: 102

Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 4372 times)

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Holidays
« on: 09-04-19, 06:45PM »
I've just been reading the pamphlet which covers holidays and all that entails. In one section it says they should be taken it week blocks.
My question is do we have to or is it just a suggestion, what is the actual rule/law on this?
 Following that rule would mean taking off two weeks just to have a long weekend off with the wife.

HelpME23

Re: Holidays
« Reply #1 on: 09-04-19, 06:54PM »
I’ve asked before and my senior team manager said they prefer you to take the bulk of your holidays as consecutive working days but you can take random if that’s what you need. Feels like a ridiculous rule

memberx

« Reply #2 on: 09-04-19, 06:59PM »
I've just been reading the pamphlet which covers holidays and all that entails. In one section it says they should be taken it week blocks.
My question is do we have to or is it just a suggestion, what is the actual rule/law on this?
 Following that rule would mean taking off two weeks just to have a long weekend off with the wife.

No you can take them as you wish as it says on ourtesco . I think it makes it easier on admin if you take blocks. But its upto you really

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 09-04-19, 07:12PM »
I think that one of the issues is that preferring people to take their holiday in blocks is seen as equating rigidly to taking them in blocks of Sunday through Saturday weeks when for many people, as above, they would rather they could take the block over the weekend, such as Thursday through Wednesday.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Jamesmichael72

« Reply #4 on: 11-04-19, 09:51AM »
Hi there, I recently had my manager trying to make us take our holidays from Sunday through to Saturday all because he wanted to improve his percentages, but I took it further and was told I could take my holidays like I always have which is Thurs through to Tues.

Block week means your working days.

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 18-04-19, 12:46AM »
Well today we have been informed that anyone with outstanding holidays to book for this year has until Saturday to get them in.
After that they will be allocated by the manager and they will have to have what they are given!

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 18-04-19, 02:00PM »
I’ve asked before and my senior team manager said they prefer you to take the bulk of your holidays as consecutive working days but you can take random if that’s what you need. Feels like a ridiculous rule

"They prefer" take your holidays when you want and don't allow management to dictate to you.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #7 on: 18-04-19, 03:32PM »
You can book half your holidays now, and the other half later on - I think by October.
We have a poster about it in store and it's likely on ourtesco.

Cairney39

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 18-04-19, 03:42PM »
The expectation is that you take up to 75% of your entitlement before November. There is also an expectation that you book in your full entitlement at your holiday meeting carried out Feb/March. As a manager, I look for about 80/85% to be booked in, but some colleagues do put everything in. If I asked, colleagues would book their full entitlement in, but they would also know that should something else come up, they can ask to move from Feb to Jan. having them all booked in is an ideal situation but practically, it doesn’t matter if they are or not, as you can always ask to change your holidays. The last thing you want to do is get to Feb next year, having had 2 holidays meetings, have holidays still to book in and there to be zero availability for you

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 18-04-19, 05:12PM »
My manager booked me some holidays yet neglected to tell me,I turned in for the shift only to be told I was not meant to be in.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 18-04-19, 06:25PM »
You have to countersign the holiday form, so if you haven't been informed and countersigned then they don't count.
« Last Edit: 18-04-19, 06:28PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #11 on: 18-04-19, 06:59PM »
I haven't had a holiday form in 5 yrs.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 18-04-19, 07:14PM »
i haven't had a holiday meeting in double that! 8-)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 19-04-19, 07:29AM »
I haven't had a holiday meeting in years either......but every year I fill in a form and pass it to my manager to sign....we are a small dept and tend to take the same main weeks every year, we double check with each other and adapt the non important weeks if necessary.

However if someone comes to work with us who may have booked the same weeks or there's a new manager who decides they don't want you off certain times whilst they're off then your holidays are booked and signed for so there's nothing they can do to get you to change them, apart from ask ;) :D

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 19-04-19, 09:36AM »
Which brings to mind one year, our manager hated the job and the SM, so decided to leave and handed in a months notice..gave us the heads up and in that month he authorised all holidays for the dept....including Christmas week and the following Easter.....SM, PM and new manager didn't have much in the way of Christmas joy and certainly weren't happy Easter bunnies. I had the best 10 day Christmas break ever that year  :D :D
« Last Edit: 19-04-19, 09:38AM by lucgeo »

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 19-04-19, 09:10PM »
Administrator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

In our gulag the n/s managers tend to their staff holidays and when they go off themselves fail to inform their managerial brethren of the state of their depts >:D  Needless to say, this causes all sorts of mayhem(again) and any non-fill colleagues are seconded to bail-out the affected depts. >:( I have lost count of the times that the senior? n/s manager has stated that it won't happen again (-*-) Surprise, surprise it always does. Glad to be getting out(fingers crossed) and leaving this sh*t tip behind :D ;D

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 20-04-19, 01:04AM »
Well today we have been informed that anyone with outstanding holidays to book for this year has until Saturday to get them in.
After that they will be allocated by the manager and they will have to have what they are given!

That is correct as the holiday window for this year opened last April and window for next year is now open. So a min 75% of annual holidays should be booked by this week up to end of October and remain 25% can be booked for rest of year. Nothing new to this process.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 20-04-19, 01:27AM »
Well I'll probably end up with another "Let's Talk" for not booking holidays for 2019/20, like I did when I was on Nights.

They knew the reason why I hadn't booked them, but carried on regardless.

Mind you, my manager is too busy up the SMs backside they wouldn't even notice  8-)

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #18 on: 20-04-19, 09:52PM »

That is correct as the holiday window for this year opened last April and window for next year is now open. So a min 75% of annual holidays should be booked by this week up to end of October and remain 25% can be booked for rest of year. Nothing new to this process.
Allocated? What about holiday meetings and mutual agreements for the dates, or do they just tell us when we take them and we have no say??

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 21-04-19, 02:34AM »
Yeh if you have not booked your holidays in advance of holiday booking window closing they are then allocated.  Usually this should happen at holiday review meeting which should take place once window closes.  You complain about allocated but the window has been open 12 months to book them not sure why your surprised they allocate if you've not booked them.

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #20 on: 21-04-19, 06:52PM »
That's nonsense!
Only a certain percentage needs to be booked that far ahead and the window doesn't shut at the end of April. They can't just allocate holidays as they wish, I've been talking to the regional union office and they are quite happy to send a rep if the store wants to go down that avenue as apart from being against policy its also illegal as its not contractually agreed, we don't do shut downs so we have holidays when we want not the company!

wizard

• Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 07-05-19, 03:15PM »
Hello does anyone know the rules on bank holiday working , if you work a bank holiday do you have to work your full shift to get time & a quarter please

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 07-05-19, 03:22PM »
You should get time and a quarter for how ever many hours you work...