Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-04-19, 09:59AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 56377
  • Total Topics: 1000
  • Online Today: 128
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Investigation  (Read 6254 times)

memberx

Investigation
« on: 07-04-19, 04:18PM »
Hi

Good worker have never been in trouble before. Received a letter saying alleged breach of social media code of conduct. Would this refer to breaching social media policy or the way i conduct myself on social media. Does anyone know? I cant make it out.

Also no meeting as of yet. Am i allowed to see what apparantly it is i have supposed to of done?
« Last Edit: 07-04-19, 04:24PM by tesc0H »

captain

• Smart Arse
Re: Investigation
« Reply #1 on: 07-04-19, 04:25PM »
Could be either, remember golden rule, take someone in with you and remember don't admit to anything unless proven beyond doubt.

memberx

« Reply #2 on: 07-04-19, 04:28PM »
Even if it is something i said and they showed me a screenshot of my apparent profile. Would that be evidence? I seriously cannot recall myself saying anything bad. How could they prove it was me? Its been about 2 weeks now and no investigation has taken place. Do you think they could be spying on me to gather further evidence or something? My first investigation i am quite stressed over it knowing i believe i have done nothing wrong

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 07-04-19, 04:37PM »
Unless you have been really naughty, first time normally means a waste of a couple of hours making a mountain out of a molehill and a first warning

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4 on: 07-04-19, 05:19PM »
When you're on Facebook etc ensure that your security settings are set so that only friends can see your posts and don't have people you work with as friends. If you want friends from work have a separate account and keep it squeaky clean. I have witnessed managers searching through social media because someone has phoned in sick and they're seeing if its true. Also whatever they say to you don't show them any of your social media accounts. It's up to them to provide the evidence and it's not a reasonable request for you to share private information.

memberx

« Reply #5 on: 07-04-19, 05:32PM »
my profile is super private. I do comment on public posts most of the time when i see daft comments or stupid posts and i do comment mean/rude stuff in replies. My profile doesnt say i work for tesco. i have a feeling i have commented on a  sensitive subject and a colleague has reported me or something? As i mentioned earlier the investigation letter said "alleged breach of social media code of conduct"

I am interpretating that as how i conduct myself on such sites as i mentioned above.  Unless it could mean posting bad stuff about tesco aswell? I have asked managers what it could mean and they are apparantly clueless. I have a feeling they know what the investigation is about and are just playing dumb.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 07-04-19, 05:48PM »
One rule of thumb I follow is to never mention the company by name.  Not even on here nor in texts to colleagues, family and friends.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #7 on: 07-04-19, 05:59PM »
Surely after 2 weeks they should at least have given you a date for a meeting about this.
I suggest asking the person who signed the letter - what you are supposed to have done and when you will have a meeting about it.

memberx

« Reply #8 on: 07-04-19, 06:02PM »
Surely after 2 weeks they should at least have given you a date for a meeting about this.
I suggest asking the person who signed the letter - what you are supposed to have done and when you will have a meeting about it.
So they can tell me what i have apparently done even before the meeting?

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 07-04-19, 06:10PM »
my profile is super private. I do comment on public posts most of the time when i see daft comments or stupid posts and i do comment mean/rude stuff in replies. My profile doesnt say i work for tesco. i have a feeling i have commented on a  sensitive subject and a colleague has reported me or something? As i mentioned earlier the investigation letter said "alleged breach of social media code of conduct"

I am interpretating that as how i conduct myself on such sites as i mentioned above.  Unless it could mean posting bad stuff about tesco aswell? I have asked managers what it could mean and they are apparantly clueless. I have a feeling they know what the investigation is about and are just playing dumb
Do not under any circumstances admit to anything..even if they show you screenshots of the alleged breach...two years ago someone in our dept. showed screenshots of a group chat on messenger to MM. there was hell on about it at work.. we were all investigated and in the meetings they were trying to get everyone to grass each other up... it didn't work BTW as when they asked us what we thought someone else meant by their post we all just answered that they would have to ask the person concerned the meaning of their posts... they were just fishing to try and find a scapegoat to punish... as usual MM ineptitude led to everything eventually being brushed under the carpet as per usual. The messenger group was just your usual  workplace banter BTW... Tosco MM really believe they own our lives. ;) ;)

The worlds me lobster

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #10 on: 08-04-19, 04:20PM »
Focus on the wording of "ALLEGED"

You want to see clear and concise evidence that you have breached the policy, otherwise admit nothing and DO NOT let them try and lead you into admitting to something you may not have done.

Like advised, this could be serous so take in either a rep or trusted college with you for all meetings, and get them to take their own notes.

DO NOT go in alone thinking it will be OK........

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 08-04-19, 08:10PM »
As above don’t admit to anything... also if your Facebook account is as tight as you say.. don’t accept a copy or screen shot ask the investigating manager to logon to Facebook and show you the offending material, the fact that they haven’t disclosed it yet means you couldn’t have deleted anything.. unless the Manager is in your freinds list they won’t be able to show you “live” what they may have a copy of because they don’t have access because you didn’t want them to have access.
There are two points I would argue as I have mentioned in the past, a “non public profile - freinds only” is
1.Not for public viewing, limited access, which is less compelling than an open to all account.
2 Has limited access, any sharing of information of limited access material with third parties that don’t have access to that material is in itself a breach of the social media policy. Strongly argue that the person who captures the limited access material on your account and shares or distributes it to others who doesn’t have permission access should also be investigated for a breach of The Social Media policy.
« Last Edit: 08-04-19, 08:14PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

gingerccc

« Reply #12 on: 09-04-19, 01:36PM »
What I would say is that the social media policy also covers things like whatsapp, so if you have slated someone in a group or private message to someone and it has somehow been leaked, this could be what they want to investigate.

memberx

« Reply #13 on: 09-04-19, 06:58PM »
thanks for the advice

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 09-04-19, 07:15PM »
One rule of thumb is never post anything, even supposedly privately, that you would not say to someone in the canteen and would not mind or care a manager sat at the next table might overhear.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

TheHound

« Reply #15 on: 10-04-19, 11:26AM »
As others have already pointed out,

- Don't go into a meeting without having a rep present. USDAW aren't great by any means, but they are better than nothing.

- Offer as little as possible; don't try to justify yourself. It's up to them to prove reasonable grounds to take this to a disciplinary. You don't have to prove your, "innocence". Be polite, but keep your answers relatively short.

memberx

« Reply #16 on: 10-04-19, 11:29AM »
If it is something I have said I will admit to it, but I am very very careful what I put online and always think of work before commenting or posting.

Batmanjo

« Reply #17 on: 10-04-19, 02:47PM »
When you go into the meeting listen to what they have to say and what evidence they have and then adjourn the meeting for 24 hours giving you time to look into the allegation and to get advice to see if you have breached any rules first, because your 1st reply is what they will go off and if they can put you on the spot they will.

Paul Weller

« Reply #18 on: 10-04-19, 07:12PM »
I complained about a senior team doing things on twitter and facebook that were mentioned in social media policy and was told my my store manager and an independent store manager, who was sent in to investigate me, claims that the social media policy was a guide and nothing more, and its not a "rule".

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #19 on: 10-04-19, 07:36PM »
So its a case of "us and them" How novel,who would have suspected >:D
I wonder who they employed to do the typing for them (-*-)

Pikachu

« Reply #20 on: 12-04-19, 01:11AM »
Remember that the company says we have to have a work/life balance.

Do not even acknowledge that any profile or account belongs to you, or even confirm if you have them. Its non of the company's business. If you have not named the company by name then they need to provide evidence that links it all together. Remind the company that any person can set up a social media account and can choose any name and upload any picture they want etc... It would be reasonable to assume an account in your name with your picture is yours, however don't freely give them that information as you don't need to. What I will say is that the company can use "reasonable doubt" to find you guilty, so don't assume because they have no proof of wrong doing they can't do anything. They only have to side on balance of probability, which is rubbish really.

What I would say is if a comment or post of yours has been copied to be used as evidence I'd be requesting to know how that came into the investigating officers hands and remind them that under new GDPR rules its actually against the law for the company to collect personal data without your consent. This is especially key if the alleged post DOES NOT mention work or specifically about something at it. Even if it can be assumed its about work, remember the onus is on them to prove that them holding any private documentation on you is valid.

If its gone to an investigation then someone has obviously raised it as a complaint. The company don't have to actually tell you who has complained, or what evidence they have, other than an overview of it (for example, they may say you made a comment about Mary on Apr 1st calling her a silly cow... but they don't have to show you evidence of it even if they have it) unless it goes to a disciplinary.

If you are sent to a disciplinary then you have the right to know who has complained, you have the right to see their complaint in full, a copy of ALL the notes from EVERYONE that has been interviewed, a copy of ALL evidence and to know both the rational for taking it to a disciplinary and also your rights to defend yourself against the accusations. Don't forget, if it goes to a disciplinary, you have the right to defend yourself and clear your name - it doesn't automatically mean you will be disciplined. Prior to a disciplinary you don't have access to all the statements so the company can not find you guilty before it has presented all the facts to you.

I'd also suggest binning off the store reps and asking for a third party rep not attached to the company to help you.
« Last Edit: 12-04-19, 01:13AM by Pikachu »

memberx

« Reply #21 on: 13-04-19, 07:56AM »
I can't say too much. but they showed me a print out of a screen-shot of a comment apparently made by me to some person which includes my employee number on the comment,  its gone to disciplinary.  I feel screwed over.  I don't know who is doing this against me.

I argued and argued why would I give my employee number to some random person.  It all just doesn't make sense, the only evidence they provided was that sheet of paper with the comment on and my picture and my name.

memberx

« Reply #22 on: 13-04-19, 07:58AM »
If someone wants to PM me please do.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 13-04-19, 08:26AM »
Follow Duracell's advise, copy out the points made in that post and present it to them....

I don't recall my employee number, I have to look it up....so to what part in the alleged conversation would warrant you giving your employee number......especially to a random person?

I admit to being ignorant to social media usage, hell I'm not even on whatsapp, but is there a way someone could copy and paste your picture and name to the comment??

Do you know this person?? Are they on your list of friends?? Have you any previous conversations with them?? Was there any part of the post shown, requesting your employee number??

State again and again and again......I do not recognise this post....I did not have any conversation with this unknown person.....I did not, and had no reason to, give my employee number to this unknown person....I strongly deny any knowledge of this "alleged" posting by ME.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

memberx

« Reply #24 on: 13-04-19, 08:40AM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

@lucgeo, I've sent you a message :)

Global Moderator Comment Members need to be aware that unsolicited PM's may not be answered.