Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-06-19, 01:40AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7869
  • Latest: Andii
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58295
  • Total Topics: 1023
  • Online Today: 133
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 96
Total: 99

Author Topic: Pay rise  (Read 63499 times)

captain

• Smart Arse
Re: Pay rise
« Reply #25 on: 08-04-19, 01:26PM »
So the bottom line is nobody has heard anything about next pay rise.
I will join in with the opinion that fine ask the question, but now we know nobody knows anything so please spare a thought about the people going to be laid off or have a reduction in hours.
Speculative posts don't help anybody

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #26 on: 08-04-19, 08:24PM »
..........so......about this increase to £10........anybody????
.  £10 per hour by next year? Do you still believe in father Christmas?

Munchkin

« Reply #27 on: 08-04-19, 09:17PM »
What no father Christmas? Am gutted somebody's been eating my mince pies every year lol

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #28 on: 08-04-19, 10:06PM »
@his scots tie and @Munchkin
.....so......er........wotyatrynasay. Has there been some info leak re; papa noel ??? , Daddy crimbo, the-one-night-wonder, The-big-red-suited-soot-covered-emperor-of-the-snow, the-shifty-bearded- geezer, My main man the Santa fulkin Claus.....What are you guys trynasay...eh ??? ...there'll be a rumble on the rooftops if yous arnt careful. :o
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

an_anon

« Reply #29 on: 09-04-19, 09:00AM »
So the bottom line is nobody has heard anything about next pay rise.
I will join in with the opinion that fine ask the question, but now we know nobody knows anything so please spare a thought about the people going to be laid off or have a reduction in hours.
Speculative posts don't help anybody

Those of us who lost pay in the last round of cuts are interested in a thread about pay increases, so again, all of you who want to show how sensitive and caring you are, please go and do it in a thread about the upcoming changes and stay out of legitimate threads on entirely different subjects. The f****ng nerve of you people is staggering.
« Last Edit: 09-04-19, 09:03AM by an_anon »

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #30 on: 09-04-19, 10:20AM »
I do agree. I had been hit by structure change, followed by f***ed up pay increase er decrease.  If I knew I would loose so much in a short period of time I could prepare myself for it.

What I mean by that is I could work all the overtime I could to secure my finance and receive more compensation as it was based on total earnings.  With any kind of job losses or at leased a cut of hours no one should think about ' here and now', especially any one who is struggling with money right now.

You could look for better job NOW knowing that future pay rise might be very small and delayed and won't cover losses.

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #31 on: 09-04-19, 11:43AM »
lord admiral, every other supermarket retailer pays better than Tesco except Icelands and the Coop, It boggles my mind why people aren't leaving in droves for pretty much any other supermarket (or leaving retail altogether if they can..

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #32 on: 09-04-19, 06:39PM »
I have not heard anything about the pay negotiations - in fact, I use this forum to find out anything - I don't really glean any info from managers or colleagues.
I think there has been some realism spelled out on this thread - so hopefully no-one is disappointed.
Clearly, having cut Sundays and BHs to 1.25x, Tesco do not really have much else to cut in order to offset any "large %" increases they may want or be forced to give their staff. However, in the last pay deal, they did pledge not to cut the premiums anymore until "at least 2020" - at the time I read it, I did read it as meaning "We will cut premiums back to "flat pay for all days" in 2020" - rather than any possibility that they might keep them on.
Ultimately, what the senior management/decision makers will need to consider is whether they "need" to pay any sort of premium.
What they will have as evidence will be the time period from July 2018 (when premium fell from 1.5 to 1.25) to, let's say, Dec 2019 - and they will be able to establish whether there has been any significant issues with staffing stores on a Sunday.
Ultimately, as time moves on, new staff come in - many of them are younger/students - and with increases in automation (self serve tills, scan as you shop) - and the general slow decline of high street shopping (increase in online shopping) the actual requirement for Sunday staffing has or will decrease.
Ultimately, it seems inevitable that by 2020, maybe not January - maybe Tesco will be nice and introduce it in mid to late 2020, all the premiums will be gone. This will allow Tesco to "reinvest" those savings into a 16p per hour increase. That would make the base rate around £8.58.

At a wild guesstimate, the NLW is likely to be around £8.55-£8.65 range in April 2020.
So, Tesco would not need to give us much more - but again, Tesco will want to make a "fake" statement - so Tesco may well push for a similar deal to last time. So, here's my guesstimate of what's likely to happen:

Up to Nov 2019 we'll be on £8.42
Then from Nov 2019, we'll get 3% = £8.67
April 2020 comes and NLW is £8.60, so we'll still be 1% above.
Come July, all Sunday/BH premiums will be cut - possibly Night premiums too - and a minimum of 16p pay rise added - let's be drastic and say that it will include Night premiums too - that might add on another 9p - so 25p payrise to the basic = £8.92
Nov 2020 : another 3% = £9.19
That will carry us through to another "discussion" sometime in 2021 - and likely any further payrises will be in Nov each year.
April 2021 NLW likely to be £9.....so we'll be marginally above it.

Knowing Tesco - there could be some slippage - initial payrise might not be until Dec/Jan time - they'll sell it as stating that we're all getting a payrise in time for Christmas pay......

Anyone disagree much with my theories?

PS: I have no inside knowledge at all - I'm basing my assumptions on what happened with the last pay deal.

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #33 on: 09-04-19, 07:01PM »
Barafear, I agree that they will cut premiums to flat rate in 2020, but i disagree that there will be less demand for sunday trading, Sunday is the busiest day for sales in most convenience stores (largely due to superstore formats closing at 4pm) the problem is 2 fold.

1. They will have operational difficulties on Sundays if they do cut it to a flat rate as there will no longer be any incentive for workers to work it (add to this that it is one of the busiest days),

2ndly one of the facets that make Tesco stand out from other retailers is its Sunday and Bank holiday premium, without this they literally offer nothing special compared to other retailers.

Now bearing point 2 in mind, competitors of Tesco except Icelands and Coop all have a higher base rate of pay (Sainsburies for instance has flat rate £9.20 per hour, no sunday premiums and minimal bank holiday premium). If Tesco were to cut Sunday premium to nothing, they will have to make their base rate of pay higher than Sainsburies (they are the market leaders after all).

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #34 on: 09-04-19, 08:19PM »
lord admiral, every other supermarket retailer pays better than Tesco except Iceland and the Coop, It boggles my mind why people aren't leaving in droves for pretty much any other supermarket (or leaving retail altogether if they can..
It all depend from town/area.  I am still at Tesco as I am working nights, average pay is 10.66 per hour.  I live over a mile away from store so I do not have to waste time and money commuting.  I do want to quit so I do some classes but it will take time due full time work.

Day staff should look for better deal asap, especially part timers.
« Last Edit: 09-04-19, 08:21PM by lordadmiral »

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #35 on: 09-04-19, 08:38PM »
In our store Sunday is the bussiest day. But our sale is lowest by volume and value.
Our store is need of Sunday workers as the only people are working are people on tills.
We have night and day fresh fill, so without fillers over day time work is passed to nights, but nights r short aswell. It makes sunday worst day for fresh.
No Sunday premium= no workers. Since the cut in bh premium i didnt worked single day last year. I lost 83 pound by that( 5 bh*7,5h).

@barafear your thinking is logical

specialgravy

« Reply #36 on: 09-04-19, 09:37PM »
tesco pay is a joke. the restructure of shift leader pay was the last straw for me (went to ga + premium meaning that any pay rise would be negatively impacted) the responsibility of being a store manager with none of the reward, yeah, shove it! my new job pays a reduced rate for the first 12 months while you learn, still take home more than the top line i had at tesco. there are better jobs at better employers out there people, dont keep taking the cr@p!!!

AlexM

• Smart Arse
« Reply #37 on: 10-04-19, 06:55AM »
I'm with that last comment. I shipped out over two years ago & never looked back - i just got a £1500 per annum pay rise, just for being more experienced at my job. & A £1300 annual performance bonus.
Get out of Tesco. You're all worth much more than what they make you all go through.

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #38 on: 11-04-19, 04:54PM »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/britains-best-paying-supermarkets-aldis-13890309 just to reiterate my point about Tesco cutting premiums to nothing, if they do that, they will have no justification to not pay significantly more than £9.20 an hour (because a 9 hour shift at sainsburies means you get a 1 hour unpaid break, not a 1.5 hour unpaid break) and Tesco has the largest market share, they really have no defense.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #39 on: 11-04-19, 05:26PM »
So now the worst paid of the big four.except ceo he’s best paid greedy sod.

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #40 on: 11-04-19, 05:33PM »
..........so......about this increase to £10........anybody????
.  £10 per hour by next year? Do you still believe in father Christmas?
Yes, split between all the remaining staff employed in the company :D ;D

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #41 on: 11-04-19, 07:16PM »
Asda just got an increase of £9.00 an hour,get their yearly bonus. Plus the union is fighting to get their unpaid breaks paid.

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #42 on: 11-04-19, 07:31PM »
Honestly, people need to start handing their notices in for any other retailer, Tesco are s***.

Victor

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #43 on: 16-04-19, 12:37PM »
Posting about pay rises is a bit insensitive to the thousands of colleagues who are awaiting this weeks meetings to find out if they still have a job.....

They heard the news ages ago. Plenty of chance to make a cv and apply.

Now, others are planning their future in the form of asking about a pay raise. It's relevant, dont shoot someone down for asking a f****ng question that is relevant.

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #44 on: 16-04-19, 01:50PM »
Still very quiet on this topic.
Does anyone know any reps - are the negotiations ongoing?
As I "forecast" in an earlier post, it all looks very unlikely that any pay rise will be implemented much before Autumn/Winter.

panther

• Know All
« Reply #45 on: 16-04-19, 05:55PM »
Asda just got an increase of £9.00 an hour,get their yearly bonus. Plus the union is fighting to get their unpaid breaks paid.

Have they? I'd be wary of paid breaks tho to be honest, although times have changed, when I worked there before (YEARS ago) breaks were paid, and tey called you back if it was busy

Plato

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #46 on: 16-04-19, 06:19PM »
As the last payrise was in November 2018, we ain't due one until November 2019. Better not be a 2 year deal though ! We all know how well that went down last year  >:D

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #47 on: 16-04-19, 09:23PM »
The "2 year pay deal" was a pay cut in disguise, unless you didn't work Sundays, you got shafted. But a major point that I will make is that as it stands our rate of pay is substantially behind the rest of the big 4, especially now that Asdas pay rate has gone up to £9 an hour.

I would really be interested in the statistics for staff turnover due to better pay at competing retailers  for the past 1 or 2 years compared to 3-4 years ago (when Tesco went from leading pay out of the big 4 to the bottom) staff not leaving for better paying retailers sets a very bad precedent for future pay negotiations.
« Last Edit: 16-04-19, 09:27PM by NightAndDay »

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #48 on: 16-04-19, 10:04PM »
Staff getting robbed of four months pay rise by not getting rise in July,having to wait till November.USDAW doing nothing about it.Is anybody still paying this useless union?

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #49 on: 16-04-19, 11:08PM »

Have they? I'd be wary of paid breaks tho to be honest, although times have changed, when I worked there before (YEARS ago) breaks were paid, and tey called you back if it was busy
Paid breaks are boosting salary more than it might look like. Let me give an example. £8.5 ph. If u increase basic rate by 50p then u earn extra £3.75 for 7.5h working hours. But in the same time you loose £8.5. £72.25 vs £67.5 ,  so instead pay rise its pay cut. Over 1k for full time worker.