Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-06-19, 02:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7869
  • Latest: Andii
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58295
  • Total Topics: 1023
  • Online Today: 133
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 104
Total: 107

Author Topic: staff storing reduced items to buy later.....  (Read 11548 times)

Walker

• Regular Pain
Re: staff storing reduced items to buy later.....
« Reply #25 on: 28-03-19, 09:55PM »

I am not certain what weight to attach to this doc vs policy etc, others will know better.

It is enforceable as a reasonable request from management.

Edit: to clarify, these requirements aren't included in staff training or policies for people any more and so are only enforceable if management has specifically requested you to abide by them on a shop specific basis.
« Last Edit: 28-03-19, 10:00PM by Walker »

dembow

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #26 on: 28-03-19, 09:58PM »
The old Colleague Handbook contained a policy on colleague purchases:

"If you want to shop in store, please do this outside
of your working hours. Your Manager will advise
you where you can store your purchases whilst
you are at work, however this facility may not be
available in all stores.

If you bring goods back onto Company premises,
for example, if you buy products to be consumed
during your break, ensure the receipt is counter-
signed by a Manager."

When the People Policies were moved online it was announced on the Our Tesco website that "... from 3 October 2016 you should refer to OurTesco for people policy information, rather than your old Colleague Handbook, which will no longer be in use."

This presents a problem as it appears that the colleague purchase policy has not yet made its way to the Our Tesco website.

On a related note, more clarity is provided regarding items from the Colleague Shop by the "Colleague Shop - Shopping Guide" on the Stores Help Centre:

1. You can only take products from the colleague shop during the following times;
    1. Before the start of your shift
    2. During your breaks
    3. At the end of your shift once you have clocked out
    4. At managers discretion
2. Select any product with a yellow colleague shop sticker from the chilled or ambient colleague shop
3. Place the products in your locker or car

No product should ever be put to one side to go into colleague shop or kept after removal from colleague shop in the warehouse or chillers. As soon as products have been selected they should be placed in your locker or car."

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #27 on: 28-03-19, 10:03PM »
@Dembow
Do you recall by chance, the hub document that I referred to, it must have been a couple of years ago that we (in our store) were asked to sign it? This was before the colleague shop thang.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

dembow

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #28 on: 28-03-19, 10:17PM »
No, I don't recall seeing the document you referred to.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #29 on: 28-03-19, 10:42PM »
 :thumbup:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

an_anon

« Reply #30 on: 29-03-19, 12:32PM »
Staff shop is a total can of worms.

Are they a new product line?

pariah

« Reply #31 on: 29-03-19, 03:04PM »
This is the brief found on G drive.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #32 on: 29-03-19, 07:47PM »
It seems that being a dot.com driver does not have some of the advantages available to those staff that work in store.  Pot luck if there is a cheap sarnie for supper on the reduced shelf!
« Last Edit: 29-03-19, 07:48PM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #33 on: 29-03-19, 08:31PM »
Staff shop is a total can of worms.

Are they a new product line?
I certainly won't be merchandising that if it appears on a 1 in 1 out plan :D ;D

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #34 on: 29-03-19, 08:35PM »
I recall certain members of staff trawling the warehouse checking prices to see if there were any "bargains" to be had.
When the management cottoned on, they started to do it themselves.shame they had to be shown how to use a PDA first.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #35 on: 31-03-19, 01:19PM »
We've had a reminder around this just recently in our store.

I know they work hard but I suspect it's aimed at colleagues on the night team; if something was delivered, put out, and labelled 'reduced to clear' some of them would go a little bit crazy and empty the shelves before other colleagues and customers got a look in.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #36 on: 31-03-19, 02:24PM »
We had a guy do that at our store, he put out toilet roll that went down to 74p for 9 rolls of andrex he bought about 2 pallets worth and was so pleased he put picture of his purchase on facebook filling his spare room.

A lot of staff were unhappy and it is still spoken about when a decent reduction comes by.

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #37 on: 31-03-19, 06:13PM »
The toilet roll one was famous in hub stores as every colleague that purchased one was dismissed, the product was removed from sale via an epw pricing error, any that purchased after this came down triggered a hub investigation. We only found out as our usdaw reps had to go to 3 stores locally due to the extent of the meetings.

specialgravy

« Reply #38 on: 01-04-19, 08:30PM »
I recall certain members of staff trawling the warehouse checking prices to see if there were any "bargains" to be had.
When the management cottoned on, they started to do it themselves.shame they had to be shown how to use a PDA first.
haha "clothing reductions" used to be awesome for this =)

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #39 on: 02-04-19, 02:27PM »
As someone said earlier, it appears this oversight (not being included in OurTesco) is being rectified by way of a "letter" that we've been "told" to sign.
This covers stuff such as:

You must not have any personal items on you (debit/credit cards, colleague discount card, money), any products you bring to work which the store sells you need to get countersigned by manager or security before the start of your shift.

And then a load of stuff on staff purchases - mainly around reduced items - I do work on Checkouts and I am one of these people who watch "shopfloor" staff (or more pertinently staff who do reductions) purchase them in bulk for themselves!!!

On the odd occasion - if I can get off till whilst it is VERY quiet, I will have a look at the reduced section (very close to my till) and have taken stuff to buy later - but this is non-perishable stuff.....and I do buy it at the price I picked it up at - no going back to get it reduced to 10p.

I can see the difficultly in having a "laissez-fair" approach though - some staff will always take the Biscuit (for want of a different word) - then again - let's face it - some customers already do this!!

The number of customers who only come into shop to buy reduced stuff and then buy MULTIPLE (or many multiples) items - this deprives other customers (incl. staff about to finish their shifts).....

It's a difficult situation - and I can see why Tesco want us to sign this rather draconian letter - whether managers will discipline people for "minor" discretions is open to question - but it seems that for whatever reason, the policy has been toughened up - and now seems to treat us all as potential thieves before we've even walked through the door.

Little Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #40 on: 02-04-19, 08:15PM »
in Reply to Barafear,

This letter you have been all asked-(or rather told) to sign, is it something that has been drawn up in store, or is it something that has come officially from Head office? We do not have this in my store.. ???

Did it say who the letter was from i.e. your store manager? And also are you given a copy for your reference, because, give it a year or even six months-will everyone remember such strict rules?

Bottom line this "policy" -which seems at store discretion with implantation, and wildly varied in its adherence to by colleagues in all stores, needs some serious sorting the heck out!!
How can such a big company expect thousands of colleagues to do the same thing-if no one is actually briefed/trained/refreshed..

beanstacker

« Reply #41 on: 02-04-19, 11:42PM »

Bottom line this "policy" -which seems at store discretion with implantation, and wildly varied in its adherence to by colleagues in all stores, needs some serious sorting the heck out!!
How can such a big company expect thousands of colleagues to do the same thing-if no one is actually briefed/trained/refreshed..

8-) :D :D that sounds exactly like Tesco tbf

TheHound

« Reply #42 on: 09-04-19, 06:16AM »
Lol at people sad enough to buy cheap food. :D ;D

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #43 on: 09-04-19, 11:39AM »
If Tescos employees are buying cheap reduced food, it's more indicative of how Tesco treats their employees rather then the employees being "sad".

TheHound

« Reply #44 on: 10-04-19, 10:18AM »
Even Tesco wages aren't so bad you need to buy reduced food. Only losers with no self-respect buy from the RTC section. That applies to the customers as well, of course. Especially the pitiful specimens who hand you stuff that's already been reduced and ask if you will be putting it down any further. That's one step above using food banks. 8-)

Danny123

« Reply #45 on: 10-04-19, 10:38AM »
Thehound

You really are a t*sser..

Hopefully your mum will see what you are up to and conviscate your phone.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #46 on: 10-04-19, 10:46AM »
Lol at people sad enough to buy cheap food. :D ;D
Even Tesco wages aren't so bad you need to buy reduced food. Only losers with no self-respect buy from the RTC section. That applies to the customers as well, of course. Especially the pitiful specimens who hand you stuff that's already been reduced and ask if you will be putting it down any further. That's one step above using food banks. 8-)

Administrator Comment Posts like the above are designed to get a response. Don't play the game use the "report to moderator" option instead, the post may then be deleted and/or the member banned. Nomad
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #47 on: 11-04-19, 06:14PM »
At the end of the day use common sense, If you dont store items you wont be in the firing line will you, is it worth your job getting a few quid off something do you want that item so badly you are willing to risk your livelihood to get it?

Plotter

« Reply #48 on: 13-04-19, 10:55PM »
A few weeks ago in our store we were asked to read a couple of pages with some "new" policies on it. This was one of them - no storing of reduced items. All the departments in store were given it to read and sign. I would say if you haven't, then the management aren't doing their job.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #49 on: 14-04-19, 07:42AM »
Oooo.....looks like the powers that be have been snooping on here  ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.