Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-06-19, 01:46AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7869
  • Latest: Andii
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58295
  • Total Topics: 1023
  • Online Today: 133
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 88
Total: 91

Author Topic: staff storing reduced items to buy later.....  (Read 11544 times)

Little Bird

• VLH Supporter
staff storing reduced items to buy later.....
« on: 27-03-19, 03:32PM »
Can anyone clarify what the policy is? and WHERE the policy is?

There are many, many people including Managers in my store, who store reduced items off the shop floor to buy later. A year ago I got in trouble for this and never do it now. But I see over 60% of colleagues do it now everyday. I speak to friends in another store and they say its rampant in their stores too. So I just do not get it. Where is this policy written down? I asked my managers they say on OurTesco. But I cannot see it. Why can so many people do it, and no one is stopped?? What is it like in your store? Have you ever had to sign training to say not to do it, or had training saying you cannot do it? I am confused by all this, and need clarity as to where the policy around this actually is....please do not tell me on OurTesco unless you know exactly it is, I have had so many people say this, I want proof ???  ???

Pikachu

Re: staff storing reduced items to buy later.....
« Reply #1 on: 27-03-19, 03:55PM »
Its an absolute no-no in our store.

If you want to buy something that is reduced then you have to buy it there and then - non of this storing it to buy it later etc... We have dedicated areas where we can put paid for products that need to be kept chilled, however they have to be bought prior to being stored. Under no circumstances can items be "saved" and bought later.

What needs to be considered with a reduced item is the impact waste could have on that product. Depending on the time of day, the percentage of a reduction would differ. An item that was £3 could be reduced by 50% and sold at 7pm for £1.50. If a member of staff has it in the back and finishes at 10PM, they could (if being slightly dishonest or due to "friends" re-reducing) in theory get a final reduction that is anywhere between 75-90% - or even see it get "staff free" reduced. Same as if that person then decided later on that they didn't want the item, or forgot about it and it goes out of code - both would result in waste and a loss of a sale, where it could have been taken by another customer by being kept on sale.

Our store is slightly more relaxed about full priced items, which are selling out, being saved for staff in the back - however its rare and made clear you buy it at the first possible opportunity. (For example, a computer game that is a hot seller and is going to sell out)

I'd say don't consider what other people are doing - do what won't get you pulled for potentially doing something wrong. Is a massive investigation or an accusation you have to defend against worth it for the sake of a couple of quid?
« Last Edit: 27-03-19, 03:58PM by Pikachu »

Little Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 27-03-19, 04:14PM »
Can I ask Pikachu, then how does everyone in your store know it is a "no-no"...Is it word of mouth, or have people been shown a policy?

Everyone in my store is unclear. I ask people and they all have a different understanding. Most say "I will buy it in my break", and put it in a fridge/room off shopfloor.  Most feel that it is ok to do, as they are paying. We have no staff areas to put our shopping also. I have left stuff in the locker rooms and it has been stolen. And in my store around 60% of staff do it, including managers...it is very unclear..so that is why I am trying to find out where it is all written down as a policy...

Pikachu

« Reply #3 on: 27-03-19, 04:38PM »
We haven't (or I personally haven't) been shown a policy, however when staff have asked in the past if they can save reduced items its been a no.

If my memory is correct going back about 3 years ago there was some reduced items found in the produce chiller that were believed to have been stored and the produce manager put them back on sale saying they couldn't be kept there if they hadn't been paid for. I think those items were being kept in the back for a checkout member at the time. I don't think anything official came of it but they were told not to do it again and that it wasn't allowed.

Munchkin

« Reply #4 on: 27-03-19, 06:50PM »
Its covered in the staff purchase policy easy  to find in policies no items to be put aside for later purchase reduced or otherwise and no items purchased in breaks or before shift to be stored anywhere except your locker if you purchase food or drink to consume during your shift receipt must be signed and attached and stored in locker or staff fringe

Walker

• Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 27-03-19, 07:00PM »
Could you provide a link, please?
« Last Edit: 27-03-19, 07:03PM by Walker »

gazzbazz

« Reply #6 on: 27-03-19, 07:01PM »
I'd like to see the policy.  It doesn't exist in the People Policies section of Our Tesco. Perhaps you could forward a link

Munchkin

« Reply #7 on: 27-03-19, 08:03PM »
Gazzbaz it seems the staff purchase policy has been pulled I can't find it either I have done a few meetings over this issue so I was quite familiar with it when in work tmo I will try and find my printed copy and do a bit of digging as to why its no longer available etc and update but it appears no longer a policy which opens up a bit of a can of worms for people just making up their own minds but no policy no rules 

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 27-03-19, 08:40PM »
Remember seeing pretty much what @Munchkin said, a few years ago in a document connected to details of 'the hub' going on-line.
Biggest culprits are managers (by-far) including store managers, especially when it comes to reduced wines and spirits, or frozen turkeys at Christmas.
Be on the look out for managers doing it, and report them. ;)
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 27-03-19, 08:48PM »
Managers in our store hang about the colleague shop waiting for things to arrive then put them on one side until they finish. Hardly ever anything decent left for shop staff. Also the managers tell us we can't take anything from colleague shop until after we've clocked off but yet it's ok for them to take things & hide them.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 27-03-19, 09:05PM »
Maybe its time to start finding the things that they have hidden, and put them back where they are supposed to be. A bit like hunt the Easter egg, only not. (-*-)

CLEARERskies

« Reply #11 on: 28-03-19, 12:30AM »
Can anyone clarify what the policy is? and WHERE the policy is?

I’m quite interested in where the policy is too.
My entire store was given a letter to sign a few weeks ago where we agreed not to store anything or buy anything during a shift (excluding breaks).  ???

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 28-03-19, 09:16AM »
Why would anyone think that shopping during working hours would be allowed.  If you are looking, putting things aside you are shopping. I have seen staff shops come and go over the years, they have been revoked due to abuse. I resent those who abuse this benefit as they are putting it at risk for the rest of us. Also, if you are working on the shop floor it's easier to go and see what is available but those at checkouts or on the desks can't. They can only shop during breaks. Should be fair to all, not just a few.

bobbywm

• Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 28-03-19, 09:27AM »
I've seen me at times ( as I'm twilight,  and the store closes before I finished), if I'm working away, and I have a few things I've to buy, say tatties,  so I'll grab a bag of tatties for example and put them under my blue top,  and any other bits I need,  then near closing time,  quickly go buy them..   is this not allowed.

Plus if I happen to go past the baked goods reduced trolley and spot,  say doughnuts for 24p,  and it's not break time yet,  I'll put them under my blue top,   then go buy them at break, I don't always go purposely look.  Is this not allowed,  surely us low paid staff should be allowed a bargain if spotted.
Keep on Rockin' in the free world

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #14 on: 28-03-19, 10:10AM »
Do you not think that as you are putting things aside, under your trolley that you are at an unfair advantage to others. If you worked on checkouts you would not be able to do this. You would have to use your break. If you are putting aside reduced items you are then taking them to a till and putting them through, flaunting your bargains in front of fellow colleagues who are unable to benefit in the same way as you. If the checkout colleague is on until end of day (non 24 hr store) they need to ask to pop off to get that bottle of milk they need for breakfast or buy during break but see you gather bargains.

bobbywm

• Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 28-03-19, 01:53PM »
So,  because some people choose to work checkout,  the rest of us have to miss out on a cheap treat at break,    even if i didn't put it aside for say 30mins before break,  and then went on my break,   am i still not allowed to go buy reduced items.   Just in case someone at checkouts got upset that i got the cheap fancy piece and they couldn't,  I'm sorry,  and don't want to sound mean,   just stating a point of view,
No disrespect to anyone on checkouts.

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 28-03-19, 02:50PM »
Firstly I am pretty sure that storing reduced items for  pay/collection later is against company policy for so many reasons :
1.Depriving the customer of an item that has been reduced.
2. potential to over reduce
3. using work time to hunt out reserve items.
4. arguments with staff/customer who may have wanted this.
Although it is not in any rule book any more should a manager catch someone saving reduced items it could still go down to a disciplinary I'm sure.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 28-03-19, 03:38PM »
If it's not in the rule book, then you can't be disciplined for not breaking a rule ???

"Potential to over reduce??" This, I take it, is when a reduced item is stashed, then taken back for further reduction at end of shift?? That would be something along the lines of depriving the company of profits, which would be gross misconduct for the stasher and any colleague that abetted by further reducing. That, IMHO, would be the only case worthy of investigation and disciplinary.

As for the argument of fairness to other departments....that went out of the window when they let nights have everything left for nothing. Not only are they in receipt of premium rates, (for now) so earn more, the majority are still working full time hours. Some mornings when I arrive, the same ones are going out the door with bags full of free food. But I don't begrudge them it, I just put it down to " right time right place", however this may not be the feeling towards them from some low hour contracted staff, who are scraping by and praying on a bit of overtime to help pay the bills.  Yes it's illegal to sell those items after midnight....but it's still hard for some to see.

So people like bobbywm, and others who are paying for the reduced stuff are at least putting money back in the coffers. Who's to say if they didn't buy them, that the stuff wouldn't end up going free at midnight ???
« Last Edit: 28-03-19, 03:55PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

bobbywm

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 28-03-19, 04:22PM »
Agreed,  and when I set something aside,  a few times I've lost out further reductions,  but I would never take it back and ask to be further reduced,    as far as the staff shop free food thing,   yes its unfortunate for some,  but at least its going to be eaten,   and not thrown in the rubbish.

just curious

• Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 28-03-19, 04:40PM »
Do you not think that as you are putting things aside, under your trolley that you are at an unfair advantage to others. If you worked on checkouts you would not be able to do this. You would have to use your break. If you are putting aside reduced items you are then taking them to a till and putting them through, flaunting your bargains in front of fellow colleagues who are unable to benefit in the same way as you. If the checkout colleague is on until end of day (non 24 hr store) they need to ask to pop off to get that bottle of milk they need for breakfast or buy during break but see you gather bargains.

Working checkouts used to put the check out operator at an advantage over shop floor staff a few years ago - as they used to get a £50 reward for retaining stolen / forged / cancelled bank cards and returning them back to the banks to prevent any further use of the cards , were the shop  floor staff not treated fairly and equal back  then ?

Out of curiosity do check out staff / team leaders get the reward still for retaining a wanted bank card ?

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 28-03-19, 04:55PM »
I've worked at Tesco since 2012 and never heard of such a scheme.

Policies on lost bank cards differ from employer to employer, Southern Rail for instance, hold it for 1 hour and then destroy it, Tesco keeps it in lost property until someone claims it once they've proved their identity (I'm guessing they destroy unclaimed cards after a month or so, everyone claims it back before then though.)

Little Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #21 on: 28-03-19, 06:42PM »
Thank you to all who have replied, it is very interesting to hear everyone's point of view. It seems then there is currently NO ACCESSIBLE POLICY....What the flip? This is crazy then???

And a MASSIVE can of worms (Munchkin's point). So where does that all leave us now then? And it sounds like colleague shop is also becoming a real issue with people also hoarding stuff..I wonder can stuff that was suppose to be reduced get held back/hidden to then become colleague shop-so even better then reduced-people get it for free!!. An even more Super MASSIVE can of worms now.

The most I get out of this is that there seems to currently be no policy accessible, and if it is not accessible, then it must be open to wildly different interpretations, and all stores operating differently?

I have heard of the checkout staff getting the reward of £50, its ages old tho, and who knows if it still is the case?

I would be interested if any one else can describe if storing of reduced items is common practice in their stores, and especially by managers too!! 
« Last Edit: 28-03-19, 06:44PM by Little Bird »

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 28-03-19, 08:06PM »
I am by no means certain, but my recollection is that at the time of the hub going live, we were asked to sign a document relating to this and this also contained a paragraph or two on staff shopping, details (pretty much) as mentioned above. It may not be in the policy, BUT, you may find that you have signed this document at some stage and it (or a copy of it) may be in your personnel folder.

I am not certain what weight to attach to this doc vs policy etc, others will know better.

Just in-case peeps are lulled into a false sense of security re this issue and get into trouble.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 28-03-19, 09:07PM »
Staff shop is a total can of worms.

Walker

• Regular Pain
« Reply #24 on: 28-03-19, 09:54PM »

I have heard of the checkout staff getting the reward of £50, its ages old tho, and who knows if it still is the case?

It isn't.