Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19-10-19, 11:12AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8508
  • Latest: sheryle
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61718
  • Total Topics: 1084
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Can the Union help a group of us? Please reply!  (Read 2964 times)

jassy1

• VLH Supporter
Can the Union help the small group of us nationally who feel the same :question::

I believe my job should be classed as Skilled (job code D) but it is not. I work in the cash office and get paid less than (for example) someone on the CSD.

What is the definition of Skilled Labour?
I ask because there is a significant amount of training that is required before someone can be allowed to work in the Cash Office. Furthermore, not everyone is successful in the training!

I feel completely let down by Tesco for not classing Cash Office Clerks as skilled workers and paying us accordingly.

Who feels the same?  :question:

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
Re: Can the Union help a group of us? Please reply!
« Reply #1 on: 23-03-19, 11:27AM »
PFS can say the same. The Three service areas all have big knowledge base they need to deliver role. PFS can also claim health and safety. Wages is higher pay, this is also a huge job and not customer focused. The CSD job is all customer focus and skill payment could be down to dealing with difficult customers. The same could be said for PFS as they need to handle customers who can't pay for fuel, put wrong fuel in car etc.
Other less customer focused jobs on shop floor have huge knowledge base too. Stock control, PI to name but two.
I think this should be a forum point.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 23-03-19, 12:35PM »
So this is where I stir up a hornets nest

PFA think they should have a skills payment to deal with people who put the wrong petrol in or have card declined.

Or the put it more accurately have to deal with customers stupidity

What tosh

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #3 on: 23-03-19, 12:36PM »
Skilled role, when a very limited number of the local workforce could step in and carry out your role at a few hours notice, be willing to accept the responsibility for all it entails, up to and including dismissal if they make a monumental c*** up.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Andymac1111

« Reply #4 on: 23-03-19, 05:33PM »
The union agreed with Tesco who gets the skilled payments so I wouldn't count on them helping

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 23-03-19, 06:34PM »
Captain , I'm not arguing over the skills payment point , it will never happen BUT pfs have to know a lot of legal stuff around fuel handling , vapours , disposal of contaminates and fuel spillage . They also have to deal with legal forms re;drive-offs and customer to pay and then like csd they deal with customers being stupid and refunds etc , there is a lot more to it than sitting there arming pumps .
 I do agree the same could be said of many roles within store   but if you don't do the job you just think everyone else's job is easy ! 

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 23-03-19, 07:10PM »
Agree welshie
A lot of jobs require more technical knowledge and skills than an unskilled person knows about.

But, as you say, skills payment were agreed by the puppy dog  union

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 23-03-19, 08:36PM »
Pay structure is f***ed up. And its mostly union fault. We have a new union rep since autumn 2017. That guy thinks that everyone should be payed same rate no matter what role/ workload etc....some people call him split face idiot who joined union only to do less not be a voice of the team.
So answer to the topic us , no union cant help.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 23-03-19, 10:09PM »
what is the relevant pay structure in ASDA and Sainsburys :question:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 23-03-19, 11:58PM »
Captain , I'm not arguing over the skills payment point , it will never happen BUT pfs have to know a lot of legal stuff around fuel handling , vapours , disposal of contaminates and fuel spillage . They also have to deal with legal forms re;drive-offs and customer to pay and then like csd they deal with customers being stupid and refunds etc , there is a lot more to it than sitting there arming pumps .
 I do agree the same could be said of many roles within store   but if you don't do the job you just think everyone else's job is easy !

PFS is probably the hardest area in Tesco, (speaking from experience) I worked at an Esso Alliance express fuel site, including fuel we took 700k a week, now for those in superstores that may not sound like much, but I will point out a few salient facts.

1. It was a 24/7 fuel site.
2. Unlike the hundreds of staff you get in superstore formats, we had 30 members of staff.
3. Because it's an Esso alliance store, there's no pay at pump technologies and no self service tills in store (only 6 tills in total).

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 24-03-19, 12:22AM »
The union agreed with Tesco who gets the skilled payments so I wouldn't count on them helping

It was more a case of Tesco telling the union what roles would get skill payments and the union said, oh ok that’s fine.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 24-03-19, 08:52AM »
Most roles in-store could put forward a claim to attract a skills payment due to knowledge or skills used to complete aspects of the role, however these extra payments would have to be paid for either by cutting more jobs or removing more benefits.

Ssdd

« Reply #12 on: 24-03-19, 12:16PM »
I work back-door, and I'm my eyes that should be skilled. Not everyone can operate the machinery and unload a double decker lorry safely, especially when it's been stacked by Goole distribution

Munchkin

« Reply #13 on: 24-03-19, 01:03PM »
I work backdoor part week and i agree with ssdd its also the biggest serious health and safety risk job in store even following training to the letter but lbh if anyone thinks the union will help any department get more money for skills etc they're asking for a miracle it would only happen if tesco thought it was a good idea and then probably only for a serviced based role as tesco are all about the customer **** the staff

Omg1

« Reply #14 on: 24-03-19, 02:44PM »
I would not trust the union to look after a pot plant. They have shown on what side they sit over the last few years. They will take your contributions but when you want help will find every loophole to avoid any challenge back to Tesco. Believe me I have seen a colleague unsupported after 28 years service and been a union member for that time. Nothing but a joke !

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 24-03-19, 03:42PM »
If USDAW is known the be the worst union there is (and it is), why not either join another union or leave the union altogether, you staying in the union is giving Tesco more power.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 24-03-19, 07:11PM »
From what I have been told...the S/C team are called on to support every department throughout the day....yet they never receive support to finish their routines as nobody knows how  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.