Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 12:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60799
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: D.L. leadership  (Read 4805 times)

Wearethehearts

• Regular Pain
D.L. leadership
« on: 21-03-19, 02:16PM »
Serious question, has any structure change, policy change or anything done under his tenureship been done professionally , efficiently and in a Tesco values led way, asking for a few friends, both  past tesco workers and present

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
Re: D.L. leadership
« Reply #1 on: 21-03-19, 03:10PM »
Professional in the sense of following a set process, at least on paper. Efficiently most likely not. Though Tesco is a registered FTSE 100 company, they have the worst rated score for Corporate Governance out of the FTSE 100, what this means in laymans terms is that there's very poor distribution of accountability, responsibility, and reward criteria (the effects of this is in real world terms is that hard work is unrecognised, failures at the upper levels go unpunished, no oversite on following process and inappropriate remuneration packages for corresponding work levels). This will also likely mean that at the lower levels, it's unlikely that consultation and redundancy processes will be followed correctly

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #2 on: 21-03-19, 03:38PM »
lOL @ Following procedure.

Just today I had a guy come in from another store one of those trouble shooter people and tell me to do something that is strictly prohibited according to policy, when I mentioned that he just shrugged his shoulders and carried on like I didnt say a word.

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 22-03-19, 08:43PM »
Playing Devil's advocate, DD was brought in to clear up the f**king mess. You can't really blame him for going to America, the accounting scandal, or the pensions deficit. 

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 22-03-19, 09:20PM »
Yes DD was brought in to clear up the mess but scratch the surface and he's just creating yet another one. He's not even trying to make money - say what you want about phil Clarke  but at least he tried to build a business. The concept of destination stores with Giraffe, Harris & Hoole may have failed in execution but he didn't asset strip. DD  has isn't a retailer and it's showing.

« Last Edit: 22-03-19, 09:23PM by tescopleb »

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 23-03-19, 03:25AM »
Lewis was always going to trim the fat and make the business lean, it was something that needed to be done but the way it's been done has been disgraceful. I don't think he realised just how many people would take redundency if it was offered to them.

He's changed the executive commitee to fast and now it has become bloated (I understand I have commented about this a few times now) with director's stepping on each others toes to make sure they look significant.

Time to pick a successor and pack up. Thanks for trying.
Has This Been Briefed Out??

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 23-03-19, 08:33AM »
Our Dave was heralded as "the coming of the Lord" when he was brought in to sort Tesco out. Arrived as the hatchet man, after his reputation on turning the business around. Difference being the last business he turned around was not a supermarket. It didn't rely on footfall, customer loyalty, or a presence on the factory floor as no unauthorised person got past the security barriers.

Yes we carried too many lines of same product and that needed stripping back. Yes there are too many uneccesary routines that overlap one another, but they should be streamlined and those GA hours put on day replenishment to provide the actual service to customers with feet on floor.

How many staff are visible during the day, apart from checkouts, counters and bakery?? Some stores' shopfloors are like the Marie Celeste most of the time. We're getting targeted and robbed left, right and centre, not just with odd items but with trolley loads of tagged high value. The amount of times I have heard the door alarms go off and witnessed nearby managers not even look up :-X That's our profits, that's our bonus' gone out the door by the truckload.

The warehouse is full of stock, as not enough staff to put it out, and the few left are usually supporting checkouts, or dot.com. It's just an never ending " robbing Peter to pay Paul" scenario. I have never seen so much waste, and discontinued lines piled up in the warehouse, as there is now on a regular basis. The GA spends approx 2hours reducing lines by 10%, then later to 25% or whatever......being paid more per hour than what the sale would bring....put them all at half price first off and move to sale area straight away, then work  the stock piling up in the back before that goes out of code aswell.
« Last Edit: 23-03-19, 08:40AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Charlie Harper

« Reply #7 on: 23-03-19, 09:44AM »
Absolutely spot on lucgeo. Everything you've said is exactly how it is in our store too. Your thoughts on theft also echo my sentiments on the matter. Do they not understand/grasp that the cost of every item (or trolley load) stolen is clear profit chipped off the end of year total!

Omg1

« Reply #8 on: 24-03-19, 02:39PM »
Dave has done what he needs to do to get his bonus !. He has surrounded himself with people who say yes to everything he says, anyone who challenges has gone. This has then cascaded down to the shops, any challenge is seen as you are negative or unsupportive. No successful business will survive without any internal supportive challenge. Some of us near retirement might see out the DD reign but Tesco will never recover without looking at its internal politics that currently lack any integrity and asks why the colleagues have lost all trust.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #9 on: 27-03-19, 05:27PM »
Have to agree with lucgeo, looking around the store this morning there can't have been more than 5 people on the shop floor, with a few dot com people floating about, 1 person on the tills and 1 on S/S.  It's unreal it's like no one works there any more.

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #10 on: 27-03-19, 06:15PM »
Our store manager reckons we are losing £350 a day down to theft......no staff,thieves paradise.Dave and his mob haven't got a clue Tesco fairy land the saga continues.

jonty

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 29-03-19, 03:40PM »
I overheard a conversation this morning between the night manager and store manager in my store. Night manager says he's regularly witnessing thieves stealing alcohol to order.

Happy Days

« Reply #12 on: 29-03-19, 04:38PM »
The store that I work in is bad for theft as well.  But that's what you get for not having security in Mon and Tues.  So it's a thieves paradise where they literally fill their boots with goodies.  They won't pay the wages yet we had more bottles of spirits missing than you you could poke a stick at. Bottles missing on Tue that were there Mon.  Penny wise pound foolish.
« Last Edit: 29-03-19, 04:40PM by Happy Days »

Omg1

« Reply #13 on: 31-03-19, 08:42PM »
My manager has told us that we need to stop the theft as the store is not hitting its budgets for loss.
Joke, cut security , less guards, more theft, and then blame the staff
Everything is the staffs fault these days

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 31-03-19, 09:39PM »
Then your manager is telling you to do something that is against Tesco policy by asking you to stop theft, all anyone can do is what is in the training and incident reporting.