Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07-04-20, 05:09PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65751
  • Total Topics: 1142
  • Online Today: 201
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Merchandising Moans  (Read 175301 times)

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
Re: Merchandising Moans
« Reply #750 on: 20-06-17, 08:59PM »
Unfortunately Star69, common sense at Tesco is not so common any more. The person earning more money than you to create that merch plan has probably spent around 1% of the time you have spent actually trying to implement one.

Flatout

« Reply #751 on: 21-06-17, 10:52AM »
We've been told to follow the plan exactly on promo change, trouble is we get promo stock for ends and ladder racks we do not have!! used to be able to get it on an end as was on sale now we just have lots of backstock which has nowhere to go except for a single facing on the aisle. Also have stock that is still on plan where the cage spaces are!!

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #752 on: 21-06-17, 03:56PM »
Sounds like the SM and whoever is responsible for Space, Range and Display (whoever that is in your store due to the constant structure changes) are simply not using the floor planning system to ensure your plans are accurate - there's a cycle for this they should follow which would keep it up to date and accurate, resulting in your ability to implement the merchandising plans properly and deliver no space variation.

Fozzie

« Reply #753 on: 21-06-17, 08:01PM »
Our floor plan needs completely re-modelling from head office.  Half mods everywhere on H&B that we get generic (i.e full mod) plans for.  Obstructing pillars in other parts of the shop where a mod sits right behind it that is not even shoppable...you can't even move the shelves behind it cos you'd just be hugging the pillar - its one of those horrible wooden shelved cookshop mods aswell.  Also, we still have old W&S equipment where plans are standard level and not low level like we have.  Not only that, we get plans with New Zealand wine thrown in with the Italy wine mod when it clearly shouldn't go there...its been emailed in but NEVER corrected...every time there's a wine plan I know where they want us to put New Zealand wine, its bloody stupid.    Still, our space variation is just below 1% which is pretty impressive, though nearly every plan we visit these days "has issues". 

Does anyone elses floor plan for week 19 have everyday family cereals moving to the bottom of the aisle and with porridge/museli/on the go cereal moving to the top of the aisle to lead in with?!  Looking forward to emptying about 10 mods then just to flip the bloody aisle.  So much for range reset making future remerchandising activity easier to implement.  They are forever p**sing about with the flow!

We've been told to follow the plan exactly on promo change, trouble is we get promo stock for ends and ladder racks we do not have!! used to be able to get it on an end as was on sale now we just have lots of backstock which has nowhere to go except for a single facing on the aisle. Also have stock that is still on plan where the cage spaces are!!

You do promo changes aswell as events/seasonal and normal workload?  Dunno how you do it to be honest unless you're a superstore.  We can barely manage the workload without having to do promo change, no idea how we'd manage if we had to!  I also have no idea how all these extra stores are getting merchandising done in the twilight hours.  It just is not physically possible to flip aisles while customers are in the shop, i don't care what anyone says...its a major health and safety issue for starters since I guarantee people would have stock everywhere and then leaving it all over the floor while they assist a customer in need.  I wonder what the expectation is in this instance?  Do 1 mod at a time probably.  Pull the other one eh!  I dread the day we go fully from nights to day.   It'll be the end of completing any big moves to plan...space variation will probably be above double figures lol.

« Last Edit: 21-06-17, 08:16PM by Star69 »

Fozzie

« Reply #754 on: 21-06-17, 08:17PM »
dp. :(

TheMountain

« Reply #755 on: 27-06-17, 12:26PM »
We are a large extra store in the midlands. You lot are lucky you're doing any merchandising at all. Our night manager sems to just refuse that our department exists at all. Constantly taken off for filling aisles, doing little jobs around the store, any excuse other than to do our actual jobs.
Apart from promo changes PA1 changes etc, we've probably done 6 days of merchandising in the last 5 weeks. Even large changes are ignored and the new lines just pile up. Our manager is stupidly useless and never has the balls to stick up for us to the SM.
This week is turning out to be more of the same, to say we're disillusioned with the job is a massive understatement at the moment. All four of us are pulling our hair out!

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #756 on: 27-06-17, 12:54PM »
The night managers are just in denial the place needs ripped apart in prep for the twilight fill.

FlippinEck

« Reply #757 on: 30-06-17, 05:49PM »
9am-6pm for myself and my colleague. Large superstore, used to be on nights until they sc**pped the night team last year. Used to be 4 of us but 2 took redundancy and have not been replaced. Merchandising on days is a nightmare, more often than not plans do not get completed in there scheduled week. We do power aisle and seasonal moves, we do not do grocery/fresh/hardlines promo moves.

Good luck to those of you who might be merchandising on days soon, power aisles and big moves are often impossible and laughable during the day.
Was part of the reason I took the redundancy last year.

I spoke to one of the head honchos who came up from down south to speak to us about my concerns about merchandising on days and he said "there was a plan for it as it has been trialled down south".

Have spoke to the poor sod doing merchandising when I went in to the shop a few months later and he says its an absolute shambles.

They wanted me to do 4pm til 12am. Told them to bolt.

Fozzie

« Reply #758 on: 03-09-17, 02:14PM »
This week :

homeshop (range reset) - 27 mods in our store
Cook and dine (range reset) - 35 mods in our store
baby (range reset) - 29 mods in our store
vitamins and medicines (not range reset but its always a c**p move even if its just a medium plan)..
power aisle 1 change (13 mods)
power aisle 2 change 8 mods)
grocery seasonal aisle christmas capsule (15 mods)

No idea how all this is gonna get done.  Homeshop has a few easy mods like pillows and duvets but everyhing is moving so its gonna be hard to get all those mods in one night.  Cookshop is a 2 night move in itself.  Then, well the power aisles and gsa need about 6 people at least to do in one night as that's extra work.  H&B ain't getting done, no chance.  No idea how they come up with this idea. This week's merchandising requires 180 hours of work my boss said, we have just over half those hours contracted.

Out of interest, anyone reading this whose merch team has already moved to the 4pm - 12am ideal schedule (no idea how that is ideal but apparently that is the new format for merchandising thats being rolled out everywhere), how on earth are you going to get even 25% of this work done? Cos if your stores plans are anything like ours, 70% of cook and dine is moving location, and about 40% of homeshop moves location too.  How on earth do you logistically achieve not only this workload while customers are around you, but even begin to contemplate it.  I've no idea how you could even get one plan done really that doesn't move.  Only way we can do it is by having mugs off sale for a day, but we're lucky we still do merch on nights so we can at least work with having stock everywhere around us.  How can you do it while customers are around you I've no idea. And how is this even considered the "ideal schedule" to do merchandising while people are everywhere?!

« Last Edit: 03-09-17, 02:24PM by Star69 »

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #759 on: 03-09-17, 02:40PM »
You have a seperate department "team" for the xmas launch,seperate for the power aisles and seasonal aisles and another seperate one for the normal merchandising. None of which communicate with each other with regards to workload. I asked once at a space range and merchandising road show tesco did. They have not got a clue.

Mitch636

• Know All
« Reply #760 on: 03-09-17, 02:44PM »
My store hasn't had its hours changed (yet) but everyone will agree that the workload for this week is an utter joke. Even the two weeks before and after aren't light to give an opportunity to get ahead or play catch up, we still have work outstanding from last week because of two people on holiday, will be a fun week.

Yorkshire dave

• Know All
« Reply #761 on: 03-09-17, 04:58PM »
How do you know 4pm-12am is being rolled out EVERYWHERE? Or is this just scaremongering

billandben

« Reply #762 on: 03-09-17, 08:53PM »
we have had no non food range changes since June as we were getting a refit/refresh in July, then Aug, then Sept now told it will be Jan next year so these will have to be done

BrownEyedGirl

« Reply #763 on: 03-09-17, 09:12PM »
Work load is just a joke I am by myself this week, will do what I can but I wont get everything done that's for sure.

I would seriously love to meet the person who plans in all these moves week by week what planet are they living on, I'd give them a right boot and toe up the arse.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #764 on: 04-09-17, 05:18AM »
Think the space team at head office should be made to do feet on the floor in weeks such as this; so they actually are made to go into our biggest stores and see how their planning is implemented

Yorkshire dave

• Know All
« Reply #765 on: 02-10-17, 11:34PM »
Anyone have sh8t plans for xmas aisle?

Mitch636

• Know All
« Reply #766 on: 03-10-17, 09:27AM »
I have sh8t plans for everything mate  :D

just curious

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #767 on: 03-10-17, 11:10AM »
we have had no non food range changes since June as we were getting a refit/refresh in July, then Aug, then Sept now told it will be Jan next year so these will have to be done

You can probably forget about a refresh in January next year to - Several years back i think it was the the large Abbeydale Road shop in Sheffield that was supposed to get a make over / refresh with portacabins and workmen all on site waiting to start work which was halted and not gone through with at the very last minute  :o :o . Even new stores have been built a few years ago then Tosco decided not to open the stores once built , so don't raise your hopes of having a refresh and a bit of new equipment / second hand passed on goods from another store ?.  :-X :-X

stockrotateman

• Smart Arse
« Reply #768 on: 03-10-17, 05:14PM »
 :thumbup:

TheMountain

« Reply #769 on: 01-04-19, 05:37PM »
Big talk over the last few days on Instagram etc by the head beer buyer from Tesco about a new range of craft beers launching today (1/4/19) and seemingly quite a few disappointed customers going in to stores and finding nothing.
Maybe if there wasn't two power aisles and a grocery promo change this week we might have stood a chance. Earliest I can see it happening in my store is probably Weds evening, for launch on Thurs now.