Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-05-19, 03:40PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 57056
  • Total Topics: 1008
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Superstore to lose 160 hours security guard cover  (Read 13319 times)

Prince of Darkness

• VLH Supporter
The SS I work in currently has 160 hours a week (it's a 24 hrs store) security guard cover from an external contractor. Essentailly that means we have one guard (no cover for their breaks) 24/7 except after midnight on Saturday and after closing on Sunday into Monday 0600.

From April 1st that will drop to nil. Nothing. Nada.

I'm a TS on checkouts and I've called the police three times in the past week. Once for a man threatening me and his partner (no, I don't know her) and twice for shoplifters, all incident reported. Our overall shrink is above the new, more challenging target and this is the answer - cut the guards to nothing. I could understand cutting back some hours (0000 to 0800, even 1000, for example) but no cover at all seems just absurd.

trolleyboy96

• Know All
Re: Superstore to lose 160 hours security guard cover
« Reply #1 on: 13-03-19, 02:38PM »
Not enough incidents logged by your current guarding team / duty manager, we lost ours 2 years ago was a very painful 9 months....all the known shoplifters just came in packs and walked out knowing the duty manager was solo and wouldn’t put himself at risk.

It took 9 months of logging everything, from memory we had so much trouble one month we had 1-2 managers out every day at court as the cases stacked up. We now have double our original guarding hours and rumours of gaining more as our guards and duty managers where told to log everything, seems to of helped us.

Good luck getting the cover back!

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #2 on: 13-03-19, 03:24PM »
Non of the Agency report anything at our store onto the system because they are not given a login nor are they told anything about it.

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 13-03-19, 03:55PM »
Ours do, there a specific login for them securityguard1@(storenumber) the compliance manager used to set them up......

With the hub, we were told incident reporting will move to the security podium so the guards can do it from where they work to speed up the reporting and video and pictures can be added to the incidents, the options you can see on a normal computer, so it’s coming,

Happy Hitman

« Reply #4 on: 13-03-19, 05:21PM »
So security have to take cuts as well as everyone else. Decision made by the clever people above on a computer that says no. Question is....how many colleagues need to get stabbed, a dig in the head and shoplifters backing vans up to the front door before the clever person is given a job in the shop so they can see what it is actually like.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 13-03-19, 05:26PM »
I am surprised security have not taken a hit before now to be honest especially Tesco guards, with all agency they can virtually do as they please with them give them targets to meet and change their hours daily if they want couple that with no holiday pay no national insurance to pay no holiday cover to organise and the ability to fine cordent should a guard not turn up for a shift.

As for the reporting from the podium, that would be great you get fed up of getting booted off the computer at checkouts because someone else needs to do something that very nanosecond.

Notorious3

« Reply #6 on: 13-03-19, 10:12PM »
109 hours being lost in our store. I am one of the 3 full timers about to go through a possible redundancy. All colleagues in our store from the top to the bottom have expressed great concern that we will be no more. We logged all our incident away and have a very high detection rate and continuous green shrink. However we have new classes as a “low risk” store. Seems like we are a victim of our own success. Same applies to noir current CCTV system. The core of it is 20+years old but yet all stores around us have been upgraded.

I invite the decision makers in head office to come into store and deal with the groups of teenagers intimating staff, the aggressive drunks being refused drink, the prolific shoplifters, the first point of contact for customers who are distressed from lost children, purse snatch’s, ATM shoulder surfers.

I give it 6 months and security will be back in my store as there is various sheltered accommodations within a stones throw from our front doors who are our frequent fliers. Even the local police force can’t get their head around it.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 14-03-19, 09:27AM »
Can't wait to see the negative press coverage that will no doubt come our way when something kicks off in a large store and they discover we have no security other than a camera.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 14-03-19, 03:22PM »

I invite the decision makers in head office to come into store and deal with the groups of teenagers intimating staff, the aggressive drunks being refused drink, the prolific shoplifters, the first point of contact for customers who are distressed from lost children, purse snatch’s, ATM shoulder surfers.

The thing is non of that is your job as security it is all the province of managers or customer services. If you read policy it states quite clearly as a guard you are there for nothing more than a deterrent and should anything happen you are supposed to inform the duty manager so they can deal with it.

Now what you do or dont do is down to you and your store but remember if anything happens to you while doing something you are told not to then Tesco will not accept and responsibility and will hang you out to dry, Dont believe me ask the guard who was stabbed by a hypodermic needle while trying to stop a shoplifter leaving. Tescos response was hard luck you should not have been doing that we told you specifically not to so you can forget any compensation.

As for being classified as low risk its probably because you are green on shrink.

Notorious3

« Reply #9 on: 14-03-19, 03:51PM »
We find it very hard to sit in our hands and let suspects get away, we feel like they are getting one better over us, not Tesco. We have been a self motivated and managed team for such a long time and have been dealing with various incidents without sometimes any influence or input from a duty manager, in the future the managers will find it difficult to deal with any issues.

But in dating that since we have been in for our brief and told we are at risk of redundancy we have took a step back and haven’t actively detected anything, on the off chance we have detected something we inform 2 of 15 managers who will act on our information.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 14-03-19, 05:23PM »
I completely understand what you are saying and I feel the same way however, After seeing a colleague get stiffed over for doing just that and having it drilled into us that we are not to get involved as it is not our job i have come to the conclusion that yea fair enough I wont.

We have been informed that its also company wide policy not to detain suspects any more and that is what is practised in our store, we were told the system is now a manager stops the suspect and asks for the item/s back if we get them back the suspect is barred and allowed to go on their way, if the suspect however says no and refuses to hand the item/s back they are allowed to go on their way with said items and we then review cctv and do a shop pack after reporting the theft.

So as I say you do what you feel is right I'm not going to tell you otherwise but please bear in mind you will without a doubt be hung out to dry and should it end up with you having health issues you will not get any kind of help or compensation.
« Last Edit: 14-03-19, 05:25PM by forrestgimp »

PowerAisleMan

« Reply #11 on: 16-03-19, 08:23PM »
Ours is getting cut to zero aswell. Absolute disgrace.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 17-03-19, 02:25AM »
looks like DL wants a lot of stock to go missing so the staff can get the blame >:(

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 17-03-19, 08:31AM »
Can't wait to see the negative press coverage that will no doubt come our way when something kicks off in a large store and they discover we have no security other than a camera.

Many retail companies don't have a security presence, but how may of them are 24 hour trading?

So much for USDAW's big banners "freedom from fear" ??? Surely this could be grievanced under " duty of care" for every store that has no security presence past 10 pm. The night shift crews are already easy targets for theiving, and being verbally abused by many of the low life in the area.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NorthWave

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 18-03-19, 03:12PM »
When do you understand that Tesco's policy is " Dividing to Govern "? When do you understand that while we are worried about our jobs and the indifference from the top to what is going on every day they know that we are busy with something and they keep doing what they are paid to do getting " £ " the most they can to cover the big money!
How dare you confronting your experience with they lack of will to assume reality and honesty?
They are moved by pride (sorry) arrogance not by humanism or intelligence but yes opportunism and sustenance of they position. Do you understand ?
You exist only to keep they status, your voice or experience it is only for they entertainment or pastime.
From the moment they can keep paying the big pays and they pay you are just a piece to move or eliminate. Who cares ?
They appreciate very much your  :-X

What’snext

« Reply #15 on: 19-03-19, 07:41PM »
I work in a critical store and we’ve just had over 100 hours taken away. Why not get rid of the STM and save money that way instead of taking guards away  >:(

Lost

« Reply #16 on: 19-03-19, 08:02PM »
They should just do away with 24 hour opening

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #17 on: 21-03-19, 05:48PM »

Many retail companies don't have a security presence, but how may of them are 24 hour trading?

So much for USDAW's big banners "freedom from fear" ??? Surely this could be grievanced under " duty of care" for every store that has no security presence past 10 pm. The night shift crews are already easy targets for theiving, and being verbally abused by many of the low life in the area.

Where have you got this idea that security is there to safeguard the staff from? That is not part of their job that is the responsibility of the management team security are not bouncers leaping in to get beaten up when someone kicks off and its about time the rest of you realise this securities sole purpose is to be a deterrent to thieves and if they happen spot someone concealing informing management so they can deal with it, same goes for banned people, drunks, junkies and any other undesirables you can name it is for managers to deal with it.

If a security guard does leap in and get themselves hurt they get hung out to dry by Tesco because they are not supposed to be doing that.
« Last Edit: 21-03-19, 05:50PM by forrestgimp »

DJL

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 21-03-19, 06:33PM »
I agree with your point however I would say that it is not my job as a manager to deal with these people, once upon a time I’d have done what I needed to do to stop a shoplifter, not now.  Im not going to get myself involved, nor would I want the security guard involved either. If Tesco must reduce hours in this area and somebody is nicking a tv, then so be.

The cameras can be used to review the footage then call the police to investigate, that’s about it, plus I can’t be doing with the whole going to court thing either!

To be honest, these people probably have more rights than we do, despite what they are up to; so if serious call police.

Rick grimes

« Reply #19 on: 21-03-19, 07:28PM »
I agree with your point however I would say that it is not my job as a manager to deal with these people, once upon a time I’d have done what I needed to do to stop a shoplifter, not now.  Im not going to get myself involved, nor would I want the security guard involved either. If Tesco must reduce hours in this area and somebody is nicking a tv, then so be.

The cameras can be used to review the footage then call the police to investigate, that’s about it, plus I can’t be doing with the whole going to court thing either!

To be honest, these people probably have more rights than we do, despite what they are up to; so if serious call police.

So who's job is it to make sure the staff is safe from drunk's and junkies if they kick off instore, surely that must be a managers responsibility to make sure the staff don't get abused.

DJL

• Regular Pain
« Reply #20 on: 21-03-19, 07:38PM »
Security prevent, managers back up but if it’s that bad then the police need called in!

Rick grimes

« Reply #21 on: 21-03-19, 07:44PM »
Security prevent, managers back up but if it’s that bad then the police need called in!

Forrestgimp said earlier it's not security's job it's the management team responsible for it so who is responsible for staff safety and by the time you wait on the police coming a member of staff could be seriously hurt. So someone is telling porkies.

DJL

• Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 21-03-19, 07:48PM »
And if it gets to that stage then I would like to think everyone available would help out then wait it out for police?!

Rick grimes

« Reply #23 on: 21-03-19, 07:52PM »
By the time that happens someone could be hurt, while the managers are sitting looking at the cameras or in the canteen getting a cuppa.

DJL

• Regular Pain
« Reply #24 on: 21-03-19, 07:57PM »
Yup, and yourself standing there asking where the managers are! Would you stand back and let a older female manager intervene just because ‘it’s her job’ or help out?

All I’m saying is the job of ‘security’ is for all however if the s*** hits the fan we need to help each other! Should somebody be stopped with a bottle of booze, yeah the manager along with security to stop and take them to other location, but in description above, it needs us all!

God forbid it does happen!!