Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25-05-19, 10:28PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 57181
  • Total Topics: 1009
  • Online Today: 156
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Embedded date codes  (Read 4173 times)

Jane doe

• VLH Supporter
Embedded date codes
« on: 03-03-19, 10:22AM »
Hi
Does any know how the embedded date code trial is going?
Thanks

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Re: Embedded date codes
« Reply #1 on: 03-03-19, 10:42AM »
If it is anything like the usual trial (-*-) I would imagine that it has sunk without a trace and will be fully rolled-out as is >:D Any snafu's will be fixed? in store as the roll-out continues.
One thing though. Will customers still be able to identify rtc stock?

Jane doe

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 03-03-19, 11:00AM »
Hi
Yep the r.t.c stock will still be labelled in the same way!
The embedded date code will be scanned and it tell them it's date and then
reduced in the same way!

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 03-03-19, 11:24AM »
Some years ago there was talk of a trail of electronic sel which would all but eliminate manually changing labels this was axed as to expensive to impliment, however i have seen it used on the continent but to my knowledge no date embeded bar codes are so far out there .
so the date embedded bar codes can anyone explain:
does the system give you a report of items going out of date,  if so do you then have to look for product
how about stolen items?

Jane doe

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 03-03-19, 11:46AM »
There is a trial being done , I don't know 
If there is a report!
Because you scan scan the code there and then .
I would presume not .

AnybodysGuess

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 03-03-19, 11:48AM »
Any more chat on the stock control trials currently going on?

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 03-03-19, 03:49PM »
Whilst embedded date codes may be possible on own label items, I fail to see why large multinationals would pay additional costs to embed barcodes when no other retailer is using them.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #7 on: 03-03-19, 04:39PM »
because it will probably become the norm rather than the exception.

Night Owl

« Reply #8 on: 03-03-19, 05:58PM »
I was informed by a manager who spoke to the team developing DEB earlier in the year, that Tes** aim to develope DEB, then patent the technology and sell it to others in the industry. The potential for it, if delivered right is massive. I would think ultimately branded products will carry them as well.
Thinking back 30 years, own label and branded products didn't use shelf ready packaging, now it is used industry wide and the savings in replenishment are massive.

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 03-03-19, 06:50PM »
i would say that there would need to be a report because customers mostly will not take short dated stock so some day date stock for a product will still be on the shelf possibly before store closes.
also if the reductions are done at the till the customer will not have a choice of to buy or not based on the reduced price also doing it at the till will cause issues with customers thinking the reductions should be larger.
also what happens when a product has not been delivered but system says it has or has been stolen.
i can see this not getting anywhere.

Pikachu

« Reply #10 on: 03-03-19, 07:10PM »
Our store have just started (Last week) a new system of doing PR scans. Instead of individuals being assigned an area (one would do Produce/Bread, the other would do Meat/Poultry/Meals) its now a "side by side" job where we do high risk areas first and work down to lower priority areas.

We were given a list of what the new order would be and told to crack on last week. Its a bit of a mess atm as typically three times this week duty managers have kicked off at PR scanners for talking to each other "as you shouldn't be on the same isle" even though the new directive says we have to work together.

General feeling is that when DEB comes in it could be a case of this two man job being scaled down to a one man job.

What is clear going on history is that when Tesco trial something its more often than not going to be forced through regardless of if it works. They will just tweak it until they get a forced result they can say is the new expected norm.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 04-03-19, 02:56PM »
Who would have thought eh, A duty Manger who does not have a clue about how things work and throws their weight about.

BlueBoo

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #12 on: 04-03-19, 10:53PM »
we just started using them in our store on a couple of mfp lines. they completely BSOD the self-scans if a DEB item is removed from the transaction before payment.

Jane doe

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #13 on: 04-03-19, 11:40PM »
Thanks for info ! 👍

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 05-03-19, 05:55AM »
lol I had to google what BSOD meant and it took me ages to realise the other one was date embedded barcodes.

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 05-03-19, 09:54AM »
I was informed by a manager who spoke to the team developing DEB earlier in the year, that Tes** aim to develope DEB, then patent the technology and sell it to others in the industry. The potential for it, if delivered right is massive. I would think ultimately branded products will carry them as well.
Thinking back 30 years, own label and branded products didn't use shelf ready packaging, now it is used industry wide and the savings in replenishment are massive.
Don't you find that quite a lot of the "retail ready" packaged products are either a. upside down, or b. back to front. I think suppliers are getting a little bit peeved at Tesco :-*

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 05-03-19, 01:38PM »
a and b sums up Tesco

Mungo

« Reply #17 on: 05-03-19, 04:16PM »
Our store have just started (Last week) a new system of doing PR scans. Instead of individuals being assigned an area (one would do Produce/Bread, the other would do Meat/Poultry/Meals) its now a "side by side" job where we do high risk areas first and work down to lower priority areas.

We were given a list of what the new order would be and told to crack on last week. Its a bit of a mess atm as typically three times this week duty managers have kicked off at PR scanners for talking to each other "as you shouldn't be on the same isle" even though the new directive says we have to work together.

General feeling is that when DEB comes in it could be a case of this two man job being scaled down to a one man job.

What is clear going on history is that when Tesco trial something its more often than not going to be forced through regardless of if it works. They will just tweak it until they get a forced result they can say is the new expected norm.
We were part of that trial a month or two before Christmas.

Found that we spent much more time wandering around as the order listed to scan doesn't match to the store layout very well. Also no accountability for an area so people naturally didn't try as hard as they would normally. Also chatting naturally will increase as you are on the same areas. So much for efficiency!

Foodfighter

« Reply #18 on: 14-04-19, 08:25AM »
What nobody seems to have asked is what happens if you are matched to a stock control job doing next day reductions. The DEB will be rolled out next year and the people matched may be at risk of redundancy again!

Lunamoonhare

« Reply #19 on: 14-04-19, 04:31PM »
So I have been successfully job matched and I’m staying on as an evening stocky doing Job14.
Heat map now has 3 of us on to apparently do a very thorough check. Given that DEB are coming and produce has many lines already with a pack code and horti with week numbers, I can’t see that there is work enough for two, let alone three.
Surely another cull  some point within the next 24 months is inevitable?

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 16-04-19, 11:42AM »
If/when other companies jump on the DEB bandwagon then I guess you might argue there'll be less need for people to complete date scanning routines.

As for RRP? It's fine when you can open the box in one go without it ripping into pieces and/or upside down or back to front  8-)