Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 12:34AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61624
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 106
Total: 111

Author Topic: Could pfs be next?  (Read 15163 times)

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Re: Could pfs be next?
« Reply #50 on: 30-09-19, 07:56AM »
Any pfs with a night hatch can be single manned at night and many are . What if someone had a heart attack in the cash office or a secure warehouse when in there alone ?? I honestly do not see what the fuss is about !
Personally I feel safer alone in the pfs at night than I ever did in store when we traded 24hr .

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #51 on: 30-09-19, 07:58AM »
@spacerman , where is this policy ? There is policy about single manned sites that we do as part of training , not opening door without another member of staff there , what issues to call store for etc

just curious

• Smart Arse
« Reply #52 on: 30-09-19, 09:33AM »
Is it honestly safe having a member of staff locked in pfs alone all night? What happens if they have an accident and can't get up to phone store for help? They could potentially die if it's a heart attack etc...

And suppose they got to the phone to phone store for help / explain a situation .
Would the store answer the phone in a timely manner if at all ?.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #53 on: 30-09-19, 11:24AM »
Yea because they know they have to , phone duty phone or sick phone , they answer , it's not like you're waiting for csd to answer between customers. 

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #54 on: 30-09-19, 01:13PM »
Welshie you must be in a minority of stores where the duty manager actually answers the phone. Lots of times in our store when you ring duty they dont answer, then when you question them they look at the phone & say 'oh I've forgotten to log on as duty'.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #55 on: 30-09-19, 02:56PM »
And that's probably true in our store the rest of the time but they know that someone is on their own in pfs between 10pm and 7am and know they have to answer . I've had occasions when their phone has been dead but I just phone sick phone .
I usually only have to phone to check what time  I'm getting break cover , it's really not busy enough to have many issues .

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #56 on: 30-09-19, 09:44PM »
Welshie you must be in a minority of stores where the duty manager actually answers the phone. Lots of times in our store when you ring duty they dont answer, then when you question them they look at the phone & say 'oh I've forgotten to log on as duty'.

Happens in my store all the time you keep phoning them to let them know youll be off sick and the duty doesnt answer. Then they have the cheek to pull you for failing to report an absence.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #57 on: 01-10-19, 08:55AM »
You just show them your log of calls to the duty phone, that should be end of conversation!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #58 on: 01-10-19, 04:39PM »
nobody can be forced to work nights if they haven't got a night contract. tell them to ask lewis and his buddies to do it!!

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #59 on: 01-10-19, 06:34PM »
You just show them your log of calls to the duty phone, that should be end of conversation!
When we dot.com drivers return from an evening run we are supposed ring the duty manager.  However, no mention of actually having to have talked to them so if they do not answer then we have still fulfilled our obligation.   (-*-)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #60 on: 01-10-19, 07:09PM »
Reading on trustpilot about cases of deliveries being cancelled due to no drivers being available, though there are no stand alone review sites for Tescos delivery service, it would be safe to assume they are the worst received out of all their competitors, this along with the Express Shift Leader staff turnover problem I'd imagine would be next in Tescos structure changes (either pay commensurate with the responsibilities and demand for the roles, more staff or a devolvement of responsibilities by expanding the structure.)

Civil-ladies

« Reply #61 on: 09-10-19, 11:37AM »
I work in a PFS that years ago was single manned between 8pm and 11pm. Then there was a sudden change that single manned was not a allowed and we had to change shifts so that there was 2 people in at any 1 time and we closed at 8pm with Pay @ Pump open to 11pm. Now all of sudden overnight (last Wednesday) we get a message to say that the PFS was to be manned at all times until midnight. Our manager and store manager have agreed to open 8pm-12pm single manned. currently opening with overtime available. We are a rural store, our nearest supermarket with filling station is 10 miles way. There are 2 other petrol stations with in 3 miles of us. We have been given no info as to why the sudden change or the urgancy to recruit temps to cover the late shift. All these changes and a possiblity of having to change my working hours is not doing my anxiety any good.

Anyone else having these changes with in their PFS?

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #62 on: 09-10-19, 11:47AM »
When we dot.com drivers return from an evening run we are supposed ring the duty manager.  However, no mention of actually having to have talked to them so if they do not answer then we have still fulfilled our obligation.   (-*-)
I honestly hope that is in jest

Penny

• alice
« Reply #63 on: 09-10-19, 11:55AM »
Yes civil-ladies think it’s a nationwide thing. There has been a change in law as far as I’m aware and we can’t trade unmanned. We are covering with overtime also 8pm till midnight but door is locked, so really just there to keep an eye on pumps. It’s not been explained to us why the sudden urgency either.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #64 on: 09-10-19, 12:49PM »
You can't exactly follow the AWOL process if contact has been attempted to be established from the person calling in.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #65 on: 09-10-19, 01:36PM »
You can't exactly follow the AWOL process if contact has been attempted to be established from the person calling in.

The addition of  (-*-) and the way it was worded made me read the post as if it meant phone duty but hang up before they answer but if questioned you can show you did ring.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #66 on: 09-10-19, 03:33PM »
Civil-Ladies, it's the same for us too.  Our PFS shuts at 10 pm as usual but someone is there from that time until 5.45 am when the next day shift begins, they don't serve but have been given a lot of cleaning to do.  All we've been told is that this is for twelve weeks until they can get security cameras put up, that cover the forecourt and can be monitored from the store although I wonder who's going to be monitoring them.  Nothing has been explained to us but then we're used to that, we're like mushrooms over in our place.   

Just a job

« Reply #67 on: 09-10-19, 09:07PM »
When our store ceased being 24hrs a couple of years ago  we lost our overnight p@pump also .we now close at 9pm till 6am each day .we had cameras fitted but the fire officer was not happy with the way they were being monitored overnight so we have stayed closed.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #68 on: 09-10-19, 09:33PM »
Civil-Ladies, it's the same for us too.  Our PFS shuts at 10 pm as usual but someone is there from that time until 5.45 am when the next day shift begins, they don't serve but have been given a lot of cleaning to do.  All we've been told is that this is for twelve weeks until they can get security cameras put up, that cover the forecourt and can be monitored from the store although I wonder who's going to be monitoring them.  Nothing has been explained to us but then we're used to that, we're like mushrooms over in our place.   
they can't force anybody who has a day contact to stay overnight. they can only ask!!!

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #69 on: 09-10-19, 11:20PM »

The addition of  (-*-) and the way it was worded made me read the post as if it meant phone duty but hang up before they answer but if questioned you can show you did ring.
Sorry if you inferred that.  What usually happens on these occasions is the call rings out.  I try twice and if it goes unanswered twice then that is it.
« Last Edit: 09-10-19, 11:23PM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Civil-ladies

« Reply #70 on: 10-10-19, 11:36AM »
Thanks Penny, Talihad and Justajob. It's good to know it's not just us. The nearest Tesco is 12 mile away and they are a 24 hr store and PFS and have been single maned over night for a long time. So this is a new and confusing situation to us.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #71 on: 10-10-19, 04:39PM »
Administrator Comment Post in wrong thread.