Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-10-19, 10:35AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61597
  • Total Topics: 1081
  • Online Today: 128
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 73
Total: 78

Author Topic: Could pfs be next?  (Read 15149 times)

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Re: Could pfs be next?
« Reply #25 on: 01-03-19, 05:40PM »
I don't think that anyone now believes they're untouchable, even in roles like chech-outs or dotcom they can always change or cut your hours but I think it's unfair to speculate about a particular role without any real evidence to back it up.
In Jan everyone thought managers would be cut , then it was bakeries closing . Ten when Tesco forced to make announcement it was neither and stock control and counters staff were told they'll be affected but without any real information. 
I work 10pm -7am in pfs , I don't really have any customers between midnight and 5.30am , my job is completely pointless but I was moved there due to heat map and if they close it that's fine . What I would hate is to be tuped to another company and that is why I feel it's unfair to single out departments and speculate.

Slave64

« Reply #26 on: 03-03-19, 11:13PM »
I was thinking TUPE'd after 35 years loyal service, I am still bitter.  I was never off sick, never late but got rid of without a chance of redundancy.  I am still bitter and hurt, I wish I'd been one of the bad ones always off and better thought of.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #27 on: 04-03-19, 02:53PM »
lol, yea it sucks of course it does but doing a good job is more about your own moral compass than anything else. Dont beat yourself up you would probably not enjoyed the job enough to stay 35 years otherwise.

pfsgirl

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #28 on: 07-03-19, 10:30PM »
Hi
We found out recently that our pfs has been sold to a developer to build flats. Tesco only told us after the news became available to residents & on facebook.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #29 on: 08-03-19, 12:09AM »
@pfsgirl can you give and general area this is in and if you've been told if youll be moved to store or face redundancy. 
Shocking way for you to find out , thoughts with you and your colleagues.

Penny

• alice
« Reply #30 on: 08-03-19, 09:22AM »
@pfsgirl that is shocking. What a disgusting way to find out. 😡

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #31 on: 08-03-19, 10:24AM »
What has happened to the much vaunted "lets talk"
So sorry to hear of such really shoddy work practices. But we shouldn't really be surprised as the petty bureaucrats up the food chain at Head Orifice still subscribe to the mantra of Knowledge is Power! >:D
Little do they know that they could be next :D >:( ;D

pfsgirl

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #32 on: 09-03-19, 03:24AM »
Outer London. Very busy pfs. Local residents very vocal about protesting but we were told land is already sold so have to wait & see what happens next.

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #33 on: 12-03-19, 08:35PM »
some of our pfs staff have had their job code changed to general assistant replenishment,I know our backdoormen have also been altered to this,no doubt due to whole store scheduler

Hazelgrif

« Reply #34 on: 28-09-19, 02:31AM »
Newbie here, any one know why pfs have to be manned now. I.e. A person sitting inside kiosk while it's closed. Started 25/09/2019

HildaHills

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #35 on: 28-09-19, 06:49AM »
We were told on Weds that someone has to be inside the PFS 24/7 due to new licence regulations from the Petroleum licence people. We were told it’s something to do with the huge amount of unmanned sites popping up mainly Asda and the petroleum  people don’t like it. I can’t see how it’s financially viable in some sites to pay someone to sit there when the overnight takings aren’t going to cover the electric wages heating etc. What’s next for the Pfs? Either they stop offering the overnight service, offload the whole operation to a franchise or they find some other solution like cameras direct to The hub?

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 28-09-19, 07:41AM »
It's a temp fix, for up to 12 wks. There is something on the way. For now it comes down to money. If it takes enough money it needs someone in kiosk who has done the training, if little money taken it can close. It's just cant be open to pay at pump with kiosk not manned. Kiosk is closed, can't take any sales of fuel or goods as has to be double manned for that. Has to be single manned for pay at pump. When nobody in kiosk pumps go to pay at kiosk only to prevent payment at pumps and cones need to go on entrance and exit to forecourt.
No idea what the fix will be.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #37 on: 28-09-19, 08:33AM »
Thanks for all replies. Seems everyone thinking same thing that garages next on hit list. Sad days for all the loyal staff.

Penny, never be loyal to an employer, it's nearly always unrequited and never, ever be loyal to Tesco,  I think that we PFS staff are safe for the time being.  In my area we have a large elderly population, who don't use pay at pump and who often need assistance.  Tesco want to keep bringing these people and their wallets into the store. 

The other issue with pay at pump only is someone has got to be there to supervise the forecourt, make sure that no one is smoking whilst filling, they're old enough to fuel a vehicle, clean up spills and just generally help people out, so if they've got to have one person there, they may as well have two. 

I really wouldn't worry about it, I'm not. 

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 28-09-19, 08:45AM »
It's a temp fix, for up to 12 wks. There is something on the way. For now it comes down to money. If it takes enough money it needs someone in kiosk who has done the training, if little money taken it can close. It's just cant be open to pay at pump with kiosk not manned. Kiosk is closed, can't take any sales of fuel or goods as has to be double manned for that. Has to be single manned for pay at pump. When nobody in kiosk pumps go to pay at kiosk only to prevent payment at pumps and cones need to go on entrance and exit to forecourt.
No idea what the fix will be.

It only needs to be double manned at night if mo night hatch available.  Our pfs is 24hr , it's one person between 10pm and 7am , the door is locked and the night hatch used . It's not busy but it's been that way for 16yrs .

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #39 on: 28-09-19, 09:00AM »
Welshie, what do you do all night?  I can't imagine being on my own in our place overnight.  I'd feel vulnerable and probably be bored out my skull.  What is the procedure if you do need to assist on the forecourt? 

Our place has been raided a few times, I wouldn't want to step out at 2am, on my own and deal with a problem.   

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #40 on: 28-09-19, 10:04AM »
 8-) Never heard of Netflix, YouTube, Facebook etc...
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Siwel123

« Reply #41 on: 28-09-19, 10:35AM »
Our petrol station has been told now they need 1 person manning it at night too. Unlucky for tesco, no petrol trained staff seem to want to do it and many people are against only 1 person being in it at a time.

Our petrol station is pretty busy even after 10pm as we're the only one that was open at night and close to the motorway but lately it has been fully shut down by 10 and that's annoying the store manager, oops.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #42 on: 28-09-19, 11:10AM »
Welshie, what do you do all night?  I can't imagine being on my own in our place overnight.  I'd feel vulnerable and probably be bored out my skull.  What is the procedure if you do need to assist on the forecourt? 

Our place has been raided a few times, I wouldn't want to step out at 2am, on my own and deal with a problem.

We are steady until midnight then again from about 5.30am , inbetween staff pack out , do newspaper returns , fill cigs , clean coffee machine .
The door is locked why would you feel vulnerable? If there is a forecourt issues we ring the store for someone to come down . Most nights break cover is provided by store but just like days that can be a fight .
I spend about 2hrs a night watching stuff on my tablet and I do it in full view of the cameras as I am still there to serve customers,  it's not my fault if they dont come lol

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #43 on: 28-09-19, 12:30PM »
As I said, we've been raided a few times and staff have been threatened.  Twice in the last couple of years our PFS has been broken into over night.  We're also quite well hidden from the main store.  Oh well, just have to wait and see how it all pans out. 

Penny

• alice
« Reply #44 on: 28-09-19, 10:10PM »
Are we to serve through the hatch for cigs etc  once it goes to pay at pump or is it just really for monitoring the forecourt?

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #45 on: 29-09-19, 07:49AM »
Who knows Penny?  I've found out more from this website than I have from my store.  They probably don't know what's going to happen themselves yet. 

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #46 on: 29-09-19, 09:20AM »
If your site has a night hatch then it would only make sense that you serve customers. It would be a way for them to see if its worth staying 24hr and keeping in manned rather than close altogether.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 29-09-19, 10:04AM »
A knowledgeable SM once told me that Tesco make about 1p per customer on footfall for shop sales.  I would think that depending on how competitive the area is on price matching per litre, and customer volume overnight would depend on whether they keep the station open or not.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

StinkyPoo

• Regular Pain
« Reply #48 on: 29-09-19, 05:57PM »
Is it honestly safe having a member of staff locked in pfs alone all night? What happens if they have an accident and can't get up to phone store for help? They could potentially die if it's a heart attack etc...

spacerman

« Reply #49 on: 29-09-19, 10:35PM »
Is it honestly safe having a member of staff locked in pfs alone all night? What happens if they have an accident and can't get up to phone store for help? They could potentially die if it's a heart attack etc...

Its not only not safe its against policy.