Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25-03-19, 11:47PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58911
  • Total Topics: 1091
  • Online Today: 230
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Could pfs be next?  (Read 8286 times)

Penny

• VLH Supporter
  • alice
Could pfs be next?
« on: 25-02-19, 02:03PM »
Afternoon everyone,
I am not trying to scaremongering I am genuinely worried about my job.  Does anyone else think there is a chance they could close the kiosk and go pay at pump only? They seem to have cancelled the clock  machines we were meant to have installed. This also worried me.

Rick grimes

Re: Could pfs be next?
« Reply #1 on: 25-02-19, 03:05PM »
So because you's aren't getting new clocking in systems you think p.f.s might be going, stores are meant to be getting new stuff in but don't does that mean they are closing have a thought for one's that are actually being affected by the changes instead of just assuming things.

Penny

• VLH Supporter
  • alice
« Reply #2 on: 25-02-19, 03:46PM »
I do have every sympathy for what others are going through at the moment. I myself have been through it twice before so therefore know exactly what they are feeling. I was merely asking how others felt re pfs. I have just taken on a mortgage and I am very worried about my job as many others are in my store.

an_anon

« Reply #3 on: 25-02-19, 04:29PM »
To be perfectly honestly, I doubt anybody feels secure in whatever position they are in at Tesco anymore and I would consider all roles at risk of change or termination going forward.

rogersmart

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 25-02-19, 04:34PM »
I’m in PFS too.  What you fear, Penny, is always a possibility - the reality is that none of our jobs are ever “safe”.   However, it doesn’t seem very likely as things stand.  PFS sales are a big chunk of store turnover, and unlike Counters, the PFSs actually make a profit.  A big consideration is that Fuel Cards don’t work on Pay at Pump.  Also tobacco sales are important.  The way to keep PFSs open is for them to continue to be successful.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #5 on: 25-02-19, 04:44PM »
The things is would the savings out way any profit they may be making, Its not always about the profits.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 25-02-19, 05:40PM »
What school of economics did you go to!

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 25-02-19, 05:44PM »
Are most PFS 24hr ? And the ones that aren't  , are they closed at night or pay at pump only ?

barafear

« Reply #8 on: 25-02-19, 05:59PM »
I’m in PFS too.  What you fear, Penny, is always a possibility - the reality is that none of our jobs are ever “safe”.   However, it doesn’t seem very likely as things stand.  PFS sales are a big chunk of store turnover, and unlike Counters, the PFSs actually make a profit.  A big consideration is that Fuel Cards don’t work on Pay at Pump.  Also tobacco sales are important.  The way to keep PFSs open is for them to continue to be successful.

I work for Tesco - but not in PFS.....I'm assuming this stands for Petrol Forecourt Shops?

I was interested in the above quote and wondered where the info came from?

How do you know that PFS sales are a "big chunk of store turnover" and that they make a profit?
And that tobacco sales are important?

As I say - I don't work in PFS - but in my eyes I wouldn't have thought that the turnover was that much of a chunk......and I have no idea to the profitability. But I stand to be corrected if this information is available.

My only take on this would be that AFAIK Asda don't have PFS but do sell petrol.
I also know that it was fairly common knowledge/perception that supermarkets used petrol stations/low prices/promos as a way to entice people into the store (the main store....not the PFS).

Interesting debate - as as Roger does state - none of our jobs can be considered to be safe - with the NLW increasing faster than Tesco would have forecast their wages to increase (i.e. before the NLW was introduced) - more automation or cutbacks are the only way to achieve margins/profits.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 25-02-19, 06:41PM »
PFS.....petrol filling station

Yes there have been rumours instore that PFS may be in Dave's sights.....customer service manager to take over PFS.

I was informed many years ago by a very experienced SM that the profit from PFS is minimal, 1p per footfall. They keep them on as it draws shoppers to the store. So to go pay at pump would be a huge saving in terms of profit as footfall still remains and the PFS doesn't offer the instore promotions.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 25-02-19, 09:53PM »
With the rise in card payments and contact less technology will people in future still want to go in a kiosk to pay....

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 25-02-19, 10:59PM »
With the new electric/solar car PFS will only be in decline.

T2019sackallmanagers

« Reply #12 on: 25-02-19, 11:21PM »
Many asda petrol stations near me do not have a kiosk at all and it's unmanned. Just 8 petrol pumps! So much nicer than having to wait for the cashier in tesco pfs to accept it  8-)
May i add that Asda petrol local to me is 113.7p as opposed to tesco at 119.9p 1 mile between them! Asda for fuel and asda for grocery shopping! They may be on the decline as for sales but they are by far cheaper than tesco in every way!

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 26-02-19, 12:52AM »
We were told at a PFS conference that Lidl take the same money as our PFS. It s big business. There are high overheads but still profit to be had.
A trial was done in a store down the road. They closed the PFS kiosk and had pay at pump only and not only did the fuel sakes to down but so did the store. This was only a couple of years ago and the PFS opened again.
As far as the clocking machine goes I assume it's just down to cost. There was a huge debate about when do you start work. That was the reason for clocking machine. Most stores have a PFS not far off but there are a few that don't. I'm told of one where the PFS is a mile from the store.

jeff2102

« Reply #14 on: 26-02-19, 04:32AM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

I’m unsure of the profitability of the PFS I was under the impression fuel is considered a loss leader and that it brings people to the store. Yes you’ll have a huge turnover but how much if that is profit? Fuel duty is currently levied at a flat rate of 57.95p per litre for both petrol and diesel, while VAT at 20% is then charged on both the product price and the duty. This means that with petrol at £1.20 a litre, the government gets nearly 82p from every litre sold.  The sales of tobacco and confectionery is the profit.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 26-02-19, 07:22AM »
Many asda petrol stations near me do not have a kiosk at all and it's unmanned. Just 8 petrol pumps! So much nicer than having to wait for the cashier in tesco pfs to accept it  8-)
May i add that Asda petrol local to me is 113.7p as opposed to tesco at 119.9p 1 mile between them! Asda for fuel and asda for grocery shopping! They may be on the decline as for sales but they are by far cheaper than tesco in every way!
This. ASDA customers seem to be well accustomed to it, but only because they are getting the cheapest fuel around as the payback - if ASDA fuel was not at a lower pirce point, I think they would suffer sales and customer loss at PFS and store in exactly the way the Tesco trial did. The problem at Tesco is that its policy is, I believe, only to be 'competitive' within a 2 mile radius and not to be the cheapest hence why the trial didn't work - customers will take advantage when you are the lowest price as ASDA have demonstrated. Tesco going entirely pay-at-pump would therefore be a purely cost-cutting exercise, wouldn't rule it out for that reason alone but this would be highly speculative.

Penny

• VLH Supporter
  • alice
« Reply #16 on: 27-02-19, 06:55PM »
Thanks for all replies. Seems everyone thinking same thing that garages next on hit list. Sad days for all the loyal staff.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #17 on: 28-02-19, 01:37AM »
@Penny did you read the replies ?? Because to me most people are saying NO the pfs brings sales to store . This is how rumours and scaremonging  starts  .

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 28-02-19, 08:01AM »
Yes it may be speculating but remember Dave has to make cost savings every year. With a lot of the fat gone from stores, there isn't many places left to look.

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 28-02-19, 08:32AM »
I don't think anyone can or should sit back and think they have a job for life. Costa machines were put in all kiosks and this might all be to do with profit margins. The car washes were upgraded too. Two people are paid to man the kiosk and if you feel you don't have enough work to do you could be under threat in the future, on the other hand if your kiosk is busy with a steady stream of customers I would worry less. The PFS does bring in a lot of money but it could be more of a case of cash in the till. I don't know anything, nobody does.

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 28-02-19, 09:43AM »
Yes it may be speculating but remember Dave has to make cost savings every year. With a lot of the fat gone from stores, there isn't many places left to look.
Could always take a look the executive team could easily simplify the team. Think of the money that would be saved there. 
Has This Been Briefed Out??

NightAndDay

« Reply #21 on: 28-02-19, 09:53AM »
The problem with trying to streamline departments which require knowledge or skill that isn't easily acquired is that (i) unless the person making the decision has enough knowledge of the processes and impact of whatever department they're cutting back, they could risk organic growth and legal compliance down the line (resulting in million pound fines). (ii) unlike shop floor staff, these teams can't be replaced as easily, the supply of people that can do the departments job role is 100 fold smaller than the supply of people that can work on the shop floor.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #22 on: 01-03-19, 08:57AM »
What school of economics did you go to!

The one that says if for the same investment elsewhere you can get higher profits then its probably worth while shutting manned PFS's down.

So you see making a profit is not the only thing to take into account.

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 01-03-19, 09:55AM »
There is the theft side of things too. If a customer drives off without paying it is different to stores as can't happen with "pay at pump" only. we opened 1st Jan. We are not a big PFS and as such we mostly take about £20,000.00 a day. We took £5,000.00 on the 1st but only £300.00 cash between two tills. Some people who paid by card came into the kiosk but most just paid at the pump.

Less people carry cash now and cards are used so much more, on the back of this the vast majority of those paying by card don't visit the kiosk. Huge trade from taxi, ambulance, police, council and other people at work. They do come into kiosk, have to, and often buy the coffee and sandwiches too. As we are in Scotland the kiosk is not open when the store is closed so does not make the extra trade on Sunday's.

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 01-03-19, 04:57PM »
Bottom line is Dave could cut anyone's job, any employee who thinks they are untouchable needs to wake up.