Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
26-08-19, 05:35AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8304
  • Latest: baldy69
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59996
  • Total Topics: 1063
  • Online Today: 121
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103

Author Topic: Sale refused  (Read 1253 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Sale refused
« on: 14-02-19, 11:05AM »
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/dad-refused-wine-tesco-because-2538294

A Tesco regular was refused a bottle of wine because he went in with his 17-year-old.

Karl Hall was also trying to buy chocolate at the Tesco Express branch, but staff said they had a reasonable suspicion he was buying alcohol for a child.

Karl, 48, says he was made to feel 'an inch tall' and 'like a criminal' in the confrontation with staff and later with the branch manager.

Yes, you can be in serious trouble for selling alcohol to an adult whom you are led to believe is buying it for a minor or passing it to a minor, however it has to be proved that it was reasonable for you to have that belief.  The defence is always that you had no reason(s) to have that belief.

It should also be remembered that legally parents can, [you]in their own home[/you], give their children alcohol to drink in the home .
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Victor

• VLH Supporter
Re: Sale refused
« Reply #1 on: 06-03-19, 07:44PM »
My girlfriend was ID'd when I purchased a monster in a different store. Shes 26, doesn't look under 25, nowhere near 16. The 'think 25' shouldn't even be applied to energy drinks. She had ID but it doesn't make up for her being a jobsworth.

That being said:
"The 48 year-old returned a week later. He said: "I asked to speak to the manager. But I was told the same thing, and was made to feel belittled and an inch tall." He went back to complain and when it was explained to him, he went crying to the press.
The guy is a idiot and I doubt anyone is anywhere near as bothered as he is.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Sale refused
« Reply #2 on: 06-03-19, 07:56PM »
@Victor, no-one being a jobsworth . Tesco themselves are sending people into stores to do test purchases , these people will be of legal age but in someone's eyes look under 25 . If you fail a tesco test purchase you will be given a let's talk and retrained . If you fail a police test purchase where the person sent in will be under age but look older you could face warning or a fine .
by the way I hope you never tell your girlfriend she looks her age 😂