Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-09-19, 09:58AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60689
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Colleague discount card - redundancy  (Read 8486 times)

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
Colleague discount card - redundancy
« on: 13-02-19, 11:11PM »
Hello
Does anyone know if we are allowed to keep the staff discount card in the event of redundancy?  I suspect not, but thought it best to check. 

In the light of recent news of counter closes and redundancies, I'm thinking of volunteering for redundancy, though I don't work on the counters.

I've worked for Tesco for almost 8 years, and am past retirement age, so was intending to work until my planned retirement date in October 2022, which would entitle me to keep the discount card for the rest of my life. 

Pikachu

Re: Colleague discount card - redundancy
« Reply #1 on: 13-02-19, 11:30PM »
No, in case of redundancy we would lose the staff discount card after the completion of our last shift.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 13-02-19, 11:37PM »
be aware though, that shopping elsewhere can save you much more than 10% off your shopping bill.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 13-02-19, 11:42PM »
No, in case of redundancy we would lose the staff discount card after the completion of our last shift.

Aw, that's a shame.  Thank you.  Looks like I'll gave to stick it out.

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 13-02-19, 11:47PM »
be aware though, that shopping elsewhere can save you much more than 10% off your shopping bill.

Thank you.  Yes, for some things.  (I occasionally shop in Lidl, Aldi, and Home Bargains, and even Asda) However, I have a weekly grocery delivery which I pay for with my Clubcard vouchers, and I think our fruit and veg is far superior to other stores.  The occasional 20% is very useful too - I get very greedy and stock up. 

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 14-02-19, 12:04AM »
Does what you save on your shopping equate to more than your work expenses?

eg Time getting to work (if you assume minimum wage per hour)
Petrol
Lunch
laundry

etc
And who is to say that they will still have a club-card by next year, or the year after?
And what about your quality of life, will it improve dramatically if you leave tesco?
Can you afford to retire right now?
If you can afford to retire right now, would the lump-sum of redundacy make up for the possible discount that you get on your shopping?

Have you asked your family what they think?
I am not trying to get rid of you, I just think that keeping a 'possible' 10% discount, should be pretty low on the list of decision making criteria for deciding whether to take redundancy.
eg; what is the maximum amount that you would save in one year?

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 14-02-19, 08:40AM »
Does what you save on your shopping equate to more than your work expenses?

eg Time getting to work (if you assume minimum wage per hour)
Petrol
Lunch
laundry

etc
And who is to say that they will still have a club-card by next year, or the year after?
And what about your quality of life, will it improve dramatically if you leave tesco?
Can you afford to retire right now?
If you can afford to retire right now, would the lump-sum of redundacy make up for the possible discount that you get on your shopping?

Have you asked your family what they think?
I am not trying to get rid of you, I just think that keeping a 'possible' 10% discount, should be pretty low on the list of decision making criteria for deciding whether to take redundancy.
eg; what is the maximum amount that you would save in one year?

Some good point there, thank you. 
I quite enjoy the job, and it gets me out of babysitting my grandkids!  Nice to interact with colleagues too, many of whom have become friends.
Also I think my husband enjoys the peace and quiet and the chance to gain control of the remote control.
It's a 10-15 minute drive to work, but if I ever have to give my car up, and go by bus, I would definitely retire, as there isn't a direct bus (would entail a long walk, and 2 buses) but it's much too far for me to walk to and from work, especially bearing in mind my arthritic skeleton and the fact that I finish at 10pm.
Yes, I could afford to retire right now, but I can't make my mind up whether I want to or not.  I suppose it would depend on the amount of redundancy offered mainly.  Can't see it being much as I only do 11 hours per week.  Not even sure if redundancy payments still apply after retirement age.
After all that, though I quite enjoy the job, I would of course sooner stop at home, especially during the winter months!

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 14-02-19, 08:59AM »
If of right age retirement is offered as an option but there is a difference to lump sum. I'm not 100% and happy to be corrected but I think retirement lump sum is taxed and redundancy only taxed if over 30,000.00 so untaxed for the majority.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 14-02-19, 09:59AM »
Spent 7 years at Tesco, was a step up for 3 years before they really started taking the p**s, I transferred to a different store and got promoted to shift leader as there was no justification for me staying a step up, they made me a part time shift leader, 1 year later i resigned as shift leader as i managed to find a new job as a Technology consultant for the HMRC, but i managed to stay at Tesco 1 day a week, they haven't been able to replace me since i resigned, the new SM isn't aware that i was a shift leader nor that i have a new job, which in Tesco WL terms is higher than that of SM. I'll be resigning once we get our bonus. Despite me working 1 day a week (Sundays only for 8.5 hours, 7.75 hours pay) when the SM called me into the office to do a WMTY, he asked me if i could run some earlies for him, he explained to me what deputising pay was and that it was £1 an hour on top, at this point i was tempted to tell him that not only was i a shift leader, but my new job pays a lot more than an SM's salary, but i held my tongue as i'm not going to be there for much longer.

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 14-02-19, 10:08AM »
I do believe that the discount card for life in a redundency situation is as follows: you must have worked for tesco for 10 + years and your service and age needs to add up to 80

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #10 on: 14-02-19, 11:20AM »
I do believe that the discount card for life in a redundency situation is as follows: you must have worked for tesco for 10 + years and your service and age needs to add up to 80

Ah, thank you, that makes sense.  Looks like I'll have to wait until October 2021 to get the discount card after retirement.  By that time, I will have worked for 10 years, and my age plus service will add up to 80.

Oh Gawd, I feel so old!

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 14-02-19, 11:22AM »
If of right age retirement is offered as an option but there is a difference to lump sum. I'm not 100% and happy to be corrected but I think retirement lump sum is taxed and redundancy only taxed if over 30,000.00 so untaxed for the majority.

Thank you.  Don't want to pay any tax if I can avoid it! 

« Reply #12 on: 14-02-19, 11:43AM »
Hello
Does anyone know if we are allowed to keep the staff discount card in the event of redundancy?  I suspect not, but thought it best to check. 

In the light of recent news of counter closes and redundancies, I'm thinking of volunteering for redundancy, though I don't work on the counters.

I've worked for Tesco for almost 8 years, and am past retirement age, so was intending to work until my planned retirement date in October 2022, which would entitle me to keep the discount card for the rest of my life.

Can you volunteer for redundancy?

Fred T

« Reply #13 on: 14-02-19, 12:20PM »
If your age plus length of service add up to 80 years you will keep your discount card with retirement or redundancy. Think you also need at least 10 years service to qualify.

jeff2102

« Reply #14 on: 14-02-19, 04:35PM »

Thank you.  Yes, for some things.  (I occasionally shop in Lidl, Aldi, and Home Bargains, and even Asda) However, I have a weekly grocery delivery which I pay for with my Clubcard vouchers, and I think our fruit and veg is far superior to other stores.  The occasional 20% is very useful too - I get very greedy and stock up.

Sorry I beg to differ I’m an Aldi shopper I’ve got three very nearby. I’m disgusted with the total disregard to the cold chain I see working nights. I would never buy frozen or chilled from my store. Also the generally cleanliness in store  :( I’m sure incidents happen at Aldi Lidl ect but I don’t see it.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 14-02-19, 05:10PM »
Spent 7 years at Tesco, was a step up for 3 years before they really started taking the p**s, I transferred to a different store and got promoted to shift leader as there was no justification for me staying a step up, they made me a part time shift leader, 1 year later i resigned as shift leader as i managed to find a new job as a Technology consultant for the HMRC, but i managed to stay at Tesco 1 day a week, they haven't been able to replace me since i resigned, the new SM isn't aware that i was a shift leader nor that i have a new job, which in Tesco WL terms is higher than that of SM. I'll be resigning once we get our bonus. Despite me working 1 day a week (Sundays only for 8.5 hours, 7.75 hours pay) when the SM called me into the office to do a WMTY, he asked me if i could run some earlies for him, he explained to me what deputising pay was and that it was £1 an hour on top, at this point i was tempted to tell him that not only was i a shift leader, but my new job pays a lot more than an SM's salary, but i held my tongue as i'm not going to be there for much longer.
Do you currently work in an express or a superstore/extra? Why if you are on at least 30k would you spend an extra day working for minimum wage and a 1/4?

Administrator Comment Both posts are off topic.

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #16 on: 14-02-19, 05:52PM »

Ah, thank you, that makes sense.  Looks like I'll have to wait until October 2021 to get the discount card after retirement.  By that time, I will have worked for 10 years, and my age plus service will add up to 80.

Oh Gawd, I feel so old!

From OurTesco; it's only 5 years service ......if you retire or get made redundant.....but your service plus age needs to equal at least 80.

To be considered for a Colleague Clubcard for Life your reason for leaving Tesco must be Redundancy,  TUPE, Retirement or Death in Service.

If you have left due to one of these reasons AND you also have 30 years’ continuous service OR a minimum of 5 years’ continuous service and your age plus service is 80 years or more then you qualify for a Colleague Clubcard for Life.

As someone else said - what makes you think that redundancy is a possibility? Do you work on Counters or Stock Control?

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 14-02-19, 08:08PM »

Oh Gawd, I feel so old!

From OurTesco; it's only 5 years service ......if you retire or get made redundant.....but your service plus age needs to equal at least 80.

To be considered for a Colleague Clubcard for Life your reason for leaving Tesco must be Redundancy,  TUPE, Retirement or Death in Service.

If you have left due to one of these reasons AND you also have 30 years’ continuous service OR a minimum of 5 years’ continuous service and your age plus service is 80 years or more then you qualify for a Colleague Clubcard for Life.

As someone else said - what makes you think that redundancy is a possibility? Do you work on Counters or Stock Control?

Oh no, I didn't think that i would be forced into redundancy, but was thinking of volunteering if it would save someone else's job who really needs it.  Can't see it happening though, as I only do 11 hours, on the checkouts.

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 14-02-19, 08:10PM »
Hello

Can you volunteer for redundancy?

I was thinking of doing, if it would help someone to keep their job, but it would have to be beneficial to me too.

specialgravy

« Reply #19 on: 14-02-19, 09:36PM »
i quit a few weeks ago, i haven't been in a tosco since but my o/h has...discount card still working ;D

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 14-02-19, 09:51PM »
Pretty sure you can't volunteer yourself for redundancy, tesco don't really want to pay out redundancies, they'd rather staff leave off their own backs (natural wastage) which they can achieve by cutting hours and forcing colleagues to have to look elsewhere for work that pays what they want

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 14-02-19, 11:03PM »
exactly
most of the problems with redundancy could be solved it tesco 'officially' offered bumping as an alternative, all of the pain and uncertainty could be over very quickly. Unfortunately tesco are not just content with the future cost savings that they can make through the restructuring, they are also obviously concerned about making a quick buck out of the misery that forced redundancy or forced resignations cause.expect a lot of misinformation from your store managers and reps to the above end. After all, you would think that the first thing that a union that cared about its members would do, is negotiate voluntary redundancies first.Very cold tesco.and usdaw
« Last Edit: 14-02-19, 11:04PM by optout »

tarzanboyo

« Reply #22 on: 15-02-19, 02:50AM »
I know people who left over a year ago and their "family" or second card whatever you call it still works.

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #23 on: 15-02-19, 06:34AM »
I know people who left over a year ago and their "family" or second card whatever you call it still works.

That's very interesting! 

MonkeyPudding

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #24 on: 15-02-19, 06:37AM »
i quit a few weeks ago, i haven't been in a tosco since but my o/h has...discount card still working ;D

That's interesting!