Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19-10-19, 11:26AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8508
  • Latest: sheryle
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61719
  • Total Topics: 1084
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Booking Holidays/Bank Holidays  (Read 2180 times)

£3MealDeal

Booking Holidays/Bank Holidays
« on: 07-02-19, 04:44PM »
Hello,
So last month my manager let me take my Friday and Saturday shifts off and use a bank holiday for each of them so I can get paid like a holiday.  I've just looked at my payslip and I've only been paid for one, so I text my manager and they have ignored me? I mean this doesn't actually bother me too much as it now leaves me with 2 bank hols instead of 1 to use, so I can now take off another weekend in March. The issue is, he never answers my holiday requests that I text him. I understand this isn't the official process to have a meeting/use forms, but in our store, there is never any forms, and I've been at Tesco 3 years and never had a holiday meeting! I always have to text and beg them so I have some kind of confirmation, I understand with the forms if they ignore them after 7 days you get the holidays anyway? I've asked my manager to get me some forms and he never did.
What can I do in this situation?
Last year I didn't say anything and I just ended up losing my holidays/bank hols that I had remaining.

Thanks

DJL

• Know All
Re: Booking Holidays/Bank Holidays
« Reply #1 on: 07-02-19, 04:47PM »
Put it in writing, a letter or email, with a date and providing your manager is in the business, they have 7 days to respond!

Don’t put up with this type of behaviour, I’m sure if they need holidays there isn’t this type of nonsense going on!

« Reply #2 on: 07-02-19, 05:24PM »
You can download the holiday forms from OurTesco. I don't know what format store you work at but we always have all of the necessary forms outside the Confidential Office.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #3 on: 07-02-19, 07:39PM »
Put it in writing, a letter or email, with a date and providing your manager is in the business, they have 7 days to respond!

Don’t put up with this type of behaviour, I’m sure if they need holidays there isn’t this type of nonsense going on!

Sorry I do not understand how the part I've underlined comes in to it as in any managers absence there should be a stand-in to deal with their responsibilities.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 07-02-19, 08:18PM »
Agree with you and there will be but if somebody’s is delaying asking their manager for a holiday, then that is wrong. 
Another manager would be able to review a holiday request for last minute things, broken boiler or washer that needs fixed in a couple of days time, but a person should really wait for their own line manager to review and authorise regular annual leave.
Would you say that was a fair assessment of what I meant Nomad?

£3MealDeal

« Reply #5 on: 08-02-19, 12:03AM »
I'll have a look on OurTesco now, see if I can find the form. I'll speak to him tomorrow but he will just say he will look at it, and never does! I only work two nights a week and because of this I never get anything sorted it's so frustrating. I get the managers have to see if a holiday is available, but considering they messed up and didn't pay me it last month and I'm willing to just take it unpaid and have it next month instead, you'd think they'd be a bit more helpful

£3MealDeal

« Reply #6 on: 08-02-19, 12:05AM »
You can download the holiday forms from OurTesco. I don't know what format store you work at but we always have all of the necessary forms outside the Confidential Office.

Forgot to add, there is a holiday form outside confidential, but it's for the yearly holiday meeting (which I never get) and doesn't really make sense for filling in single holiday requests, doesn't have the correct options to fill in etc

oldfashionedplayer

« Reply #7 on: 08-02-19, 02:45AM »
if there isn't a form there write it down and still pass it to your manager or any manager that is on the shift and make sure someone else sees, explain there isn't a form available so you've done it on paper, it will still count, they have 7 days from receiving it to get back to you, if they don't give you anything in writing within that timeframe confirming or denying then you'll have the holiday.

if you've got a problem with how they've not paid you for something you need to go through a pay query, again they need to respond with a timeframe of getting it sorted. negligence and stupidity isn't a valid "no"

jack_cohens_shame

« Reply #8 on: 08-02-19, 08:27AM »
As you rightly acknowledge, texting is not the way to get anything properly resolved. If the manager you are dealing with is unresponsive and/or if the equipment, paperwork etc. you need is not there then don't just give up on the issue. Badger the person or department responsible remorselessly face to face and if they are fobbing you off then go straight up the managerial chain. Don't be afraid to be politely confrontational if necessary as some managerial staff that operate by either ignoring problems or paying lip service simply require a shock to the system to become motivated.
« Last Edit: 08-02-19, 08:29AM by mac84 »

memberx

« Reply #9 on: 08-02-19, 05:12PM »
Holiday forms are also on ourteco to print off :) photocopy it when you give it in

Hello,
So last month my manager let me take my Friday and Sat*rday shifts off and use a bank holiday for each of them so I can get paid like a holiday.  I've just looked at my payslip and I've only been paid for one, so I text my manager and they have ignored me? I mean this doesn't actually bother me too much as it now leaves me with 2 bank hols instead of 1 to use, so I can now take off another weekend in March. The issue is, he never answers my holiday requests that I text him. I understand this isn't the official process to have a meeting/use forms, but in our store, there is never any forms, and I've been at Tesco 3 years and never had a holiday meeting! I always have to text and beg them so I have some kind of confirmation, I understand with the forms if they ignore them after 7 days you get the holidays anyway? I've asked my manager to get me some forms and he never did.
What can I do in this situation?
Last year I didn't say anything and I just ended up losing my holidays/bank hols that I had remaining.

Thanks

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #10 on: 08-02-19, 08:25PM »
Agree with you and there will be but if somebody’s is delaying asking their manager for a holiday, then that is wrong. 
Another manager would be able to review a holiday request for last minute things, broken boiler or washer that needs fixed in a couple of days time, but a person should really wait for their own line manager to review and authorise regular annual leave.
Would you say that was a fair assessment of what I meant Nomad?
:-\ I think so  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.