Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
11-12-19, 02:36PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62838
  • Total Topics: 1104
  • Online Today: 147
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 118
Total: 121

Author Topic: Received Final Warning  (Read 8555 times)

ichigo

• VLH Supporter
Received Final Warning
« on: 17-01-19, 06:21PM »
Hi guys I need your advice urgently I've received a final warning

The reason behind it was "Vaping in the work place"

The first meeting I had they said I was vaping in store we had to review the footage. I entered the lobby had a puff and then enter the store they said I had another puff in store but I clearly didn't then we had to review The footage again because manager did not see the first time went to see the second time clearly shows I was not vaping in the store but he still was adamant I was. then he said he had to send it for review again by senior team.

A week later had another meeting with 2 senior team, me and my rep they reviewed the footage on the CCTV to see if I actually was vaping in store the person leading the investigation clearly said I wasn't it just look like I was. Now I clearly admit I had a puff in the lobby before walking in store in the meeting I did say that there have been numerous times where senior managers, managers and members of staff have smoked in the lobby and nothing has been done about that, now my understanding was that it is not part of the in-store so I thought it was OK.

I'm going to appeal the decision because I believe it's unfair.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you .

person7

Re: Received Final Warning
« Reply #1 on: 17-01-19, 08:59PM »
where i work the tesco is an individual store, theres no smoking aloud at all within 50ft of the store if in uniform. (staff have to walk RIGHT down road and around the corner) and not at all one side as its near shopping center, and law states you cant smoke or vape near or at/in any shops or shopping "quarters"

if this lobby is indoors, its not allowed, if outdoors, it depends on local council laws..

THAT SAID, if you have seen other staff vape in the lobby, i would challenge this straight away. say it cant be one rule for you but another rule for others.

of course every tesco/rules/laws may vary, i dont smoke or vape anyway but be interesting to hear if its same in other tescos

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 17-01-19, 10:46PM »
The warning was in my opinion justified as u potentially broke the law & that in turn could have seen Tesco Prosecuted.

You could appeal if you feel the investigation was incomplete or biased, or if it is a widespread practice for people to smoke in your lobby and you were the only one disciplined.

Aunt sally

« Reply #3 on: 17-01-19, 11:34PM »
There is currently no law about vaping indoors in this country, Tesco policy state it should only be in designated areas, but if management do it it becomes common practise and if they have no footage of you vaping in store from my point of view it’s a let’s talk

stackintheshelves

« Reply #4 on: 18-01-19, 07:20AM »
they could probably have you for not smoking / vaping in the designated area, but straight to a final seems a little bit harsh. A verbal, i would have said take it on the chin and move on

jack_cohens_shame

« Reply #5 on: 18-01-19, 09:44AM »
You should be sacked, yes. I'm sick of having to walk through the thick clouds of smoke at business premises doorways, where the selfish users of these devices congregate. Same goes for standard cigarette users. A costly, pointless and laughable hobby in both cases.
« Last Edit: 18-01-19, 09:50AM by mac84 »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #6 on: 18-01-19, 11:01AM »
mac84, no matter what means of transport you use to get to the business premises you visit you will have caused pollution to the planet and therefore people on it.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 18-01-19, 11:04AM »
we had a customer thrown out by the security gaurd for vaping on the shop floor whilst shopping,he complained that he had been harrased by the gaurd and needed to vape to calm his nerves,he was banned

Dorothy C

« Reply #8 on: 18-01-19, 11:16AM »
You should be sacked, yes. I'm sick of having to walk through the thick clouds of smoke at business premises doorways, where the selfish users of these devices congregate. Same goes for standard cigarette users. A costly, pointless and laughable hobby in both cases.

I think that was a  little bit judgemental. I bet you get on a lot of of peoples nerves for being a bit of a k**b?

MarcHop

« Reply #9 on: 18-01-19, 12:50PM »
Judgemental, yes. But was he or she wrong? No, at least in my opinion. The vape clouds don't look good and aren't pleasant. Isn't that all that matters at the end of the day?

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 18-01-19, 01:10PM »
Smoking inside a public  building is illegal, so if the case was proved yes you could well have been dismissed. If you did the offence be grateful you kept your job. If you didn't do it or feel others have not been punished appeal.

jester21

« Reply #11 on: 18-01-19, 01:52PM »
I dont smoke or owt but i thought Vapes were legal in public places>?

We dont have any signs at my store that vapes are not allowed etc!

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 18-01-19, 03:36PM »
where i work the tesco is an individual store, theres no smoking aloud at all within 50ft of the store if in uniform. (staff have to walk RIGHT down road and around the corner) and not at all one side as its near shopping center, and law states you cant smoke or vape near or at/in any shops or shopping "quarters"

if this lobby is indoors, its not allowed, if outdoors, it depends on local council laws..

THAT SAID, if you have seen other staff vape in the lobby, i would challenge this straight away. say it cant be one rule for you but another rule for others.

of course every tesco/rules/laws may vary, i dont smoke or vape anyway but be interesting to hear if its same in other tescos

Ah that old chestnut  defence, the I saw other people do it why don't they get punished.  Always used when guilty and looking for a desperate out.

amigaboi

« Reply #13 on: 18-01-19, 04:24PM »
Why were they monitoring you on CCTV?

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 18-01-19, 06:28PM »
Tesco's policy on smoking:

A smoke free workplace means that it’s illegal to smoke within an enclosed workspace e.g. any of our offices, stores or distribution centres. This is to ensure that non-smokers aren’t exposed to toxic second-hand smoke.

We also don’t allow smoking or vaping in any of our vans or lorries, even if the driver is alone.

We apply similar smoking restrictions and actions to e-cigarettes as cigarettes.

Many e-cigarette users choose to vape as a means to give up smoking. Where possible, you will have a designated space to vape that is away from the smoking area and out of view of customers.

So I think it's all about the "designated" space - seems unlikely the "lobby" is that space.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 18-01-19, 09:13PM »
Judgemental, yes. But was he or she wrong? No, at least in my opinion. The vape clouds don't look good and aren't pleasant. Isn't that all that matters at the end of the day?
As an asthmatic I may be hyper-sensitive but I can smell a vaper firing up from the other side of the pub.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 18-01-19, 11:45PM »
The warning was in my opinion justified as u potentially broke the law & that in turn could have seen Tesco Prosecuted.

You could appeal if you feel the investigation was incomplete or biased, or if it is a widespread practice for people to smoke in your lobby and you were the only one disciplined.

Company can’t get prosecuted as laws don’t cover vaping at present however businesses are allowed to implement there own rules around the use of vaping which Tesco have clearly set down so I agree the warning was justified as they have same rule in place for all smoking so had it been someone with a cigarette they would have expected a final or dismissal and as the rule governs all there should be no reduced warning for vaping as its same policy

Miss Piggy

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 20-01-19, 04:37PM »
they could probably have you for not smoking / vaping in the designated area, but straight to a final seems a little bit harsh. A verbal, i would have said take it on the chin and move on

Agreed. I would appeal on the grounds that a final written is excessive. Also I would state that there reason of doubt.

ichigo

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 20-01-19, 07:59PM »

Agreed. I would appeal on the grounds that a final written is excessive. Also I would state that there reason of doubt.

Hiya Miss piggy, Can you please elaborate on reason of doubt?

I'm off for 2 weeks now on holidays.

Why were they monitoring you on CCTV?

Because they actually thought i was vape in store and the security manager does not like me in my store in london to be honest

Rmp18

« Reply #19 on: 20-01-19, 08:01PM »
In my opinion if you have been caught smoking inside the store then this is at least a final written if not dismissal. As the Tesco policy states you could even be fined for this offence, so I feel you have got off lightly with this. I think the appeal would be pointless.

ichigo

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 20-01-19, 08:11PM »
In my opinion if you have been caught smoking inside the store then this is at least a final written if not dismissal. As the Tesco policy states you could even be fined for this offence, so I feel you have got off lightly with this. I think the appeal would be pointless.

I totally agree with you on this point if I did smoke in store then that warrants a final warning.  But I didn't that is my whole argument. 

Rmp18

« Reply #21 on: 20-01-19, 08:33PM »
You stated that you had a puff in the lobby which is part of the store.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #22 on: 21-01-19, 11:04AM »
I do believe it is not within Tesco's power to issue fines, nor can you face a fine under UK law.  However any property owner has the right to ban vaping inside their property and take action against those who ignore that ban, an employee can be censored a customer could be banned.

blu.com The vaping rules for the united kingdom

If you see Manager(s) vaping in the lobby in the future put in a grievance and request a review of the CCTV, nothing more satisfying than a bit of justice  8)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

BakerBum

« Reply #23 on: 22-01-19, 06:40PM »
Must have a new quota for sacking people, the store where I work they vape on shop floor and manager vapes in warehouse.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 22-01-19, 07:40PM »
It's January