Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-06-19, 01:55AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7869
  • Latest: Andii
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58295
  • Total Topics: 1023
  • Online Today: 133
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 84
Total: 87

Author Topic: Holiday refusal  (Read 6611 times)

balthazar

• VLH Supporter
Holiday refusal
« on: 14-01-19, 06:19PM »
A holiday form was handed in 10 days ago and the manager has signed and dated it saying the request hasn’t been approved but hasn’t spoken to the colleague about it or given the form back to them, they just left it laying around the office.. would  this mean the colleague can assume they have the holiday?

alf

• Know All
Re: Holiday refusal
« Reply #1 on: 14-01-19, 06:38PM »
By policy "If you have not had a response in seven days, you can assume your request has been authorised.".

But this whole finding it in the office sounds rather suspect, was it really just laying around in the office, or was it left somewhere specifically for the colleague.

balthazar

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 14-01-19, 09:14PM »
As far as I know it was alongside the holiday diary on the desk but not specifically left there for them to see

alf

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 15-01-19, 02:28AM »
Guess it depends on how much your colleague wants the holidays.

I would perhaps suggest your colleague forgets ever seeing the denied holiday request form, take the holidays, and if any comeback from management materialises, print out the policy and use that as defence.

Omg1

« Reply #4 on: 15-01-19, 09:25AM »
The policy is that the employee should be told if they cannot have a holiday and then a compromise agreed if possible. As suggested carry on as though the holiday is granted. Nobody told you that is was not !

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 15-01-19, 03:02PM »
If you need a holiday don't ask for it go sick.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 15-01-19, 05:16PM »
Clearly the holiday is yours as your manager shows a clear disregard for policy. Say nothing and wait for the form to be handed to you, when it finally does then explain the 7 day rule and say "if you don't reverse your decision I will appeal to the store manager". Watch them squirm.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 15-01-19, 05:20PM »
Yeah see how that works out for you.....

Ceetee

« Reply #8 on: 27-01-19, 12:52AM »
Seen this same situation happen in my store, unless the slip has been handed back to the employee within the 7 days, then you can safely assume that the holiday is yours to take. Policy is there for a reason, it works both ways.

Donna108

« Reply #9 on: 27-01-19, 12:53AM »
Yep 7 days to reply and explain if not given, so take it that it’s approved and a week before the holiday tell your manager you're off, see how they react.  But in future photo copy all requests and make sure dated when handed in, can’t get out if it.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 27-01-19, 12:55AM »
Expecting to take a holiday in 8 days time is totally unreasonable seeing as overtime and rotas should be done 3-4 weeks in advance.

Tinkibelle

« Reply #11 on: 28-01-19, 05:41AM »
If you look at the "new" holiday forms it now says your manager has 14 days to respond.  This has changed recently

Beetlebum

« Reply #12 on: 28-01-19, 10:23AM »
I've just downloaded a holiday form off the Our Tesco website and its still says 'Your manager will reply to your request within 7 days'.  Also I handed in a form on the 16th jan, manager is on a 2 week holiday due back early feb, there's a stack of holiday forms waiting for a response that were there at least 4 days before he went away,  i'm going to assume that the dates i have asked for will be granted because i can't wait for them to get back off holiday to be authorised.

« Reply #13 on: 28-01-19, 10:39AM »
Beetlebum

I'd be very careful if I were you with regards to this. You obviously know that your manager is on holiday and therefore is not able to  grant or refuse the request in the relevant timescales. In my store we always say that the 7 days starts when the manager actually receives the request.

DJL

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 28-01-19, 10:46AM »
As above, your manager needs to see the form to act upon it, you can’t assume it will be granted if he isn’t here, 7 days from his return

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #15 on: 28-01-19, 11:02AM »
Beetlebum

I'd be very careful if I were you with regards to this. You obviously know that your manager is on holiday and therefore is not able to  grant or refuse the request in the relevant timescales. In my store we always say that the 7 days starts when the manager actually receives the request.

Surely it is the responsibility of the person who is acting in the managers stead during their holiday, or is it that all their work is left undone until their return.  "Manager on holiday, better close the shop"  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Beetlebum

« Reply #16 on: 28-01-19, 11:40AM »
There were at least 8 or 9 holiday forms from other members of staff when I added mine also waiting for a response in a clearly marked file on display and that was  at least 4 full days before he started his holiday, surely these should have been actioned before he went away or left with another manager to deal with. The flight prices are creeping up all the time for the time I would like to have off so this will be costing me money the longer I have to wait. I don't think it's fair to have to wait 20 days for a response.

Scruff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 29-01-19, 08:10PM »
Managers are now trying to say a verbal reply to your from is sufficient as on USDAW about holidays only says they have 7 days to respond to you but doesn't say how

my argument to that of course is what's the point in having forms!

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #18 on: 29-01-19, 09:52PM »
Is there not a section to be returned to the employee with a consent or decline section ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

« Reply #19 on: 29-01-19, 10:49PM »
Yes, though I’ve only ever got it back once when the holiday was refused, every other time I got nothing back and it just appeared in the rota later on. Suits me, really  ;D

madness

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 30-01-19, 01:18AM »
Usually have to remind my guys and gals to think about birthdays, weddings, nights out, even reminded 2 of them when is your girlfriends birthday to remind them to book them off. Lol. The young guys on my department never think how important this is.  After getting wages right holidays are the next thing your staff want. Once those 2 are sorted a department is easy to run.

Victor

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #21 on: 30-01-19, 02:41PM »
Managers are now trying to say a verbal reply to your from is sufficient as on USDAW about holidays only says they have 7 days to respond to you but doesn't say how

my argument to that of course is what's the point in having forms!

give your holiday verbally lol

person7

« Reply #22 on: 07-02-19, 07:47AM »
Holiday form?

I had to ask verbally few times for Xmas eve off as  my mum passed away and it was my first Christmas without her and 99.9% my family all live in ireland so had to go to Ireland.

Then 2 weeks ago (while manager on paternity leave) I got asked "you have 3 unbooked holidays what dates do you want"

I had Monday jsut gone off.. Then got 2 lots off in March (so going Ireland 2 weeks again to help. Family decorate house)

I've had nothing in writing or any confirmation ever. I just check payslip as nd it shows as normal. With a holiday used up.

Are we supposed to Fill forms? I've never been asked to Fill. One or seen one

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 07-02-19, 07:55AM »
You are supposed to  sit down just before April and fill out your holidays for the whole year this includes what bank holidays you want off and your personal day,then your manager has a meeting with you to confirm them or tell you that you cannot have them so then you go away and change them.