Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-01-19, 03:27AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6331
  • Latest: Mk
Stats
  • Total Posts: 75916
  • Total Topics: 1552
  • Online Today: 145
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 71
Total: 73

Author Topic: THAT TIME OF YEAR  (Read 5083 times)

Wearethehearts

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
THAT TIME OF YEAR
« on: 12-01-19, 03:35PM »
So lets hear  how the new cut back in hours available to cover sickness etc is affecting your stores, we have been told to remember its not an overtime ban, its just a realignment of resources we are told, my manager was told we  can do our job to the same standard with 20-25% less hours than the heatmap etc tells us lol I suppose the shelves fill themselves to help us

Same old Tesco same old SM that cant budget worth a damn , then they expect us on the front line to do the extra graft , its the same year after year

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
Re: THAT TIME OF YEAR
« Reply #1 on: 12-01-19, 03:50PM »
And how can anyone survive on the low hours which most are contracted on when they rely on overtime. I could see a lot of people leaving the company.

Wearethehearts

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #2 on: 12-01-19, 03:58PM »
exactly , not one bit of care for those on 7.5 hour contracts ,who were mostly  told yes there are loads of overtime, all the time only to get it pulled , when they need it most

zoozio

« Reply #3 on: 12-01-19, 04:06PM »
It's not good, and the managers say they understand but don't.  My job role is split between two departments, one being Admin.  The hours are meant to be fixed to that admin role, but they never correctly backfilled me on my other department, so it's always been overtime is used to fill it.  Now there's no overtime, I'm not really doing the admin role.  Which is fine, as to be honest, there's not an awful lot to do on there at this time.  But still it upset me, as it's the principle, and it's unfair that my colleagues miss out on hours due to this, when those hours should have been filled permanently anyway.  So I got upset at work, my manager comes looking to me, and I try to explain why I'm upset and all I get it how now they have to do their job and work on the shop floor, as the cull means they've got to graft a bit.  Which they won't, as I'll end up doing it all.  And I really had to bite my tongue not to say:  "You do get paid more than me." 
I've been with Tesco many years, and unfortunately as an ex-team leader I get put on and have always been to weak to say no.  I've strived my hardest and always have but my face doesn't fit, and today's been a horrid day.  And my manager didn't get at all how I was feeling, and I can't talk to anyone else as they all gossip and it gets back.  Sorry if this has drifted from the point.  I hate crying at work, I've embarrassed myself and when forced to try and explain why I was upset, I had no helpful advice given and just feel worse.  :'(

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 12-01-19, 04:12PM »
They are ruthless! No loyalties anymore to their long service employee! Don't give a dam!

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #5 on: 12-01-19, 05:31PM »
If you are under the impression that length of service matters to them then i'm afraid you could not be more wrong.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 12-01-19, 06:06PM »
Obviously!

trigger

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • yr aving it!!!
« Reply #7 on: 12-01-19, 07:15PM »
Pay negs are coming up in distribution.  I'm quite happy to go on strike 5%. :) salmon book sites.  duracell is a lot more clued in than me.
« Last Edit: 12-01-19, 07:20PM by trigger »
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 12-01-19, 09:06PM »
exactly , not one bit of care for those on 7.5 hour contracts ,who were mostly  told yes there are loads of overtime, all the time only to get it pulled , when they need it most

True  :thumbup:

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 12-01-19, 09:13PM »
Pay negs are coming up in distribution.  I'm quite happy to go on strike 5%. :) salmon book sites.  duracell is a lot more clued in than me.

Can't wait to reject it again. :)
Has This Been Briefed Out??

dataself

« Reply #10 on: 13-01-19, 01:29AM »
Lucky you, we dont get a choice to reject it, last time I lost out with the premium cuts, now the store does not have staff to cover tills, mostly managers run/fill and serve, usualy 3 managers and 1 ca on a average day.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #11 on: 13-01-19, 04:29AM »
Oh and no pay rise till next yr for stores.

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 13-01-19, 08:08AM »
Staff in my store who start before 10am have all been told they must multi skill on dot com picking, no excuses as it is a reasonable request, some long servers have already gone sick trying to avoid getting trained, which leaves us even more in the brown stuff.

With the no overtime rule at the moment they couldn't even cover people on holiday last week.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 13-01-19, 01:43PM »
Whole shopis expected to cover checkouts when team support or manager doesnt so I see no problem multiskiing the early checkout operators to this. Checkouts is the end of the line for the morbidly obese, lazy  or ones that cant be trusted anyway.

rayinski

« Reply #14 on: 13-01-19, 04:40PM »
Checkouts is the end of the line for the morbidly obese, lazy  or ones that cant be trusted anyway.

And I suppose that those of us on checkouts, who *want* to help shop-floor when the till are quiet but are told by our managers to stay put don't exist! Oh and lets not forget the £1000's in cash we handle every day.

I work on checkouts only because when my store shutdown, it was the only job available, I'd love to get a job on shop-floor, away from the verbal abuse from customers, and take my breaks when I want, pop the loo without asking permission first.

Zalko103

« Reply #15 on: 13-01-19, 05:36PM »
Tell me about the low hours.... ugh. What's worse is our store has a bunch of new workers in on the "flexi-contracts," and instead of giving us a choice to do overtime, they force it all on them without even asking them and so there's none left for anyone else. That being said they all seem to be kids who would rather have a life than be in Tesco nearly every single day of the week, so maybe some of them will leave soon.

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 13-01-19, 06:37PM »
Staff in my store who start before 10am have all been told they must multi skill on dot com picking, no excuses as it is a reasonable request, some long servers have already gone sick trying to avoid getting trained, which leaves us even more in the brown stuff.

With the no overtime rule at the moment they couldn't even cover people on holiday last week.

Dot Comedy should be abolished. It's worthless.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 13-01-19, 06:42PM »
Checkouts is the end of the line for the morbidly obese, lazy  or ones that cant be trusted anyway.

And I suppose that those of us on checkouts, who *want* to help shop-floor when the till are quiet but are told by our managers to stay put don't exist! Oh and lets not forget the £1000's in cash we handle every day.

I work on checkouts only because when my store shutdown, it was the only job available, I'd love to get a job on shop-floor, away from the verbal abuse from customers, and take my breaks when I want, pop the loo without asking permission first.
You know fine well there are always exceptions but in general my post is true.

Wearethehearts

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 13-01-19, 06:43PM »
misuse of power or position ,in the bullying definition on our tesco says it is bullying,to set someone up to fail, so to expect us to do the work they themselves say takes more hours than they give us is a form of bullying because how can we possibly achieve this  ???

ctid

« Reply #19 on: 13-01-19, 09:27PM »
Oh do stop bleating! It's been the same every year as long as i can remember. Surprisingly, we always make it through. Yes it's a pain, yes we've been screwed over for pay rises and things could be better, but look to the union that sells you out constantly. Take a look at how many staff aldI or Lidl run on. Look at the companies that have disappeared from the high st, then carry on whining about the company that does exist,and pays you a wage.

trigger

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • yr aving it!!!
« Reply #20 on: 13-01-19, 11:37PM »
I'll instruct the reps...on our behalf ...5%..they're a great bunch of boys...see what happens.
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

zoozio

« Reply #21 on: 14-01-19, 05:31PM »
Can anyone tell me if they've also had their contract hours taken from one department they work on to over another.  I work on one department for the majority of my weekly hours and I do 10% on the new admin role.  There isn't much to do on there at the moment, so I've been put back on the deli for most of the admin hours too.
When the admin job came in, as with other colleagues, the hours I left the deli for should have been contractually given to someone, but this never happened and has always been done via overtime.  Now there's no overtime this situation has occurred, that despite being assured by my people manager wouldn't it did. 
I'm not saying it matters as to be honest my admin role doesn't hold many tasks, although I always have things to do.  But from a principle point of view it doesn't seem fair.  The colleagues who back fill me, should have been given those hours permanently, instead some of those hours have been wasted on shifts on departments we don't even need. 
Has any other admin colleagues had the same happen to them?  Does anyone think the admin job is a shortlived idea and will taken out?

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #22 on: 14-01-19, 06:08PM »

You know fine well there are always exceptions but in general my post is true.

Why are we abusing each other? Surely this is about sticking together, And Madness if you think your job couldn't be done by a half trained monkey think again. This is retail not quantum physics.

Omg1

« Reply #23 on: 15-01-19, 09:30AM »
We have just had a colleague leave as they have not enough hours so got another job. They have been told they are no longer flexible so to choose which job she wanted. They want it both ways , no overtime but don't work anywhere else in case we might need you. They spoke to union but they are all “ looked after “ by the manager to keep things sweet. When do we get the next what matters to you ?

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #24 on: 15-01-19, 10:47AM »
"don't work anywhere else in case we might need you" that is a very unreasonable and restrictive practice and should be looked at by an employment authority.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.