Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-01-19, 05:49AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6290
  • Latest: yoyo123
Stats
  • Total Posts: 80460
  • Total Topics: 1686
  • Online Today: 96
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

Author Topic: Stock levels  (Read 4614 times)

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
Stock levels
« on: 04-01-19, 10:49PM »
I'd like to think any structural change would include closing Centre and making everyone who, "works" - I use that word in it's loosest possible sense - there redundant. We are currently drowning in stock because these morons are too lazy and stupid to do their pathetic, worthless non-jobs correctly. One of the biggest mistakes Tesco ever made was centralising stock control. In the old days, Fresh Managers were allowed far more control over what stock came into their departments.

If Tesco needs to trim the fat, Centre should be the first to go under the knife. Won't happen, of course. Expecting the board to do the right thing is like expecting the government to deliver Brexit.

m360

• Regular Pain
Re: Stock levels
« Reply #1 on: 04-01-19, 11:55PM »
You do know any retailer does need a head office to run the business?

Would the stock appear without someone to buy it?

Would the checkouts run without someone to implement the IT?

Interesting theory that because your store has too much fresh stock, the person in charge of buying BWS, or the person running one of the IT systems, or someone in finance who organises payment of tax should lose their job?

Not saying I don’t agree with you that headcount could be reduced - this may indeed be in the pipework......

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 05-01-19, 01:23PM »
We managed to get the correct amount of stock into stores before Centre existed. Now, we're drowning in stock we can't sell because some idiots sitting on their fat backsides in a nice warm office somewhere are too incompetent to do the job they're(over)paid for.

Here's just some of today's highlights,

- 4 full cages of salad. In the first week of January. That includes two dozen cases of a single line of salad.

- 70 boxes of loose apples.

- 2 full dollies of carrots.

- 2 full dollies of Mushrooms. Again, one of them is made up of a single line.

- And a Partridge in a Pear Tree... 8-)

So yeah, whoever is responsible for this Omni-Shambles should lose their job. No redundancy, just kick them out. They can sell the Big Issue; that's obviously the limit of their abilities.
« Last Edit: 05-01-19, 01:25PM by VladPutin »

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #3 on: 05-01-19, 03:57PM »
I blame a lot of it on technology, this sort of stuff happened but normally it was c**k up by one of the stock control people and a one off but since we went to the computer deciding what we want it seems to be a daily thing.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4 on: 06-01-19, 08:36AM »
Same here. Few lines in bulk (produce). Few lines piling up in chillers/warehouse and few dozen lines not coming at all. Its bad, very bad. Too many lines missing and  too many being reduced to clear due short dates. I am wonder who is going to deal with it especially that overtime budget been slashed!.
Thursday morning 3Q financial results should be released  and i bet it wont anything amazing.

Witch69

« Reply #5 on: 06-01-19, 09:48AM »
M360 do you think the stores who  still have a night shift will be next to go this year

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 06-01-19, 09:52AM »
Indeed the produce ordering seems to have gone awry over the last six months or so. Bagged up produce free to staff on numerous occasions, many thanks to that person who c**ked up ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 06-01-19, 01:06PM »
I blame a lot of it on technology, this sort of stuff happened but normally it was c**k up by one of the stock control people and a one off but since we went to the computer deciding what we want it seems to be a daily thing.
To err is human - to screw things up completely requires a computer ;)

madness

• Know All
« Reply #8 on: 06-01-19, 02:38PM »
Produce levels are a mess right now. People talk about healthy eating after new years but so few do it you do not need a cage of broccoli, peppers and 6 different types of salad on offer.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 06-01-19, 03:03PM »
I think they forgot to turn off the Xmas settings also no one has any money left after Xmas to stock up I don’t know about anyone else I only buy what I need which is about half what I was buying way before Xmas.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #10 on: 06-01-19, 03:50PM »
To err is human - to screw things up completely requires a computer ;)

Love it  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #11 on: 06-01-19, 06:50PM »
Garbage in, garbage out.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 06-01-19, 07:04PM »
Computer will only order what it is pre programmed to do, depending on the information fed into it. Despite what some people assume it does not randomly send in huge amounts of mushrooms for example. Someone somewhere has told the system to over order and then force it out to stores.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 06-01-19, 11:12PM »
Same here. Few lines in bulk (produce). Few lines piling up in chillers/warehouse and few dozen lines not coming at all. Its bad, very bad. Too many lines missing and  too many being reduced to clear due short dates. I am wonder who is going to deal with it especially that overtime budget been slashed!.
Thursday morning 3Q financial results should be released  and i bet it wont anything amazing.

Good point; not only are we getting too much of lines we don't need, we are also not being supplied with lines that are going off sale. At this time of the year, we shouldn't be getting three cages of bagged salad for every half dolly of carrots...

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 06-01-19, 11:13PM »
Computer will only order what it is pre programmed to do, depending on the information fed into it. Despite what some people assume it does not randomly send in huge amounts of mushrooms for example. Someone somewhere has told the system to over order and then force it out to stores.

And that someone, somewhere, should lose their job.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #15 on: 07-01-19, 05:56PM »

The point was that the system is now centralised and any influence has been taken away from the stock control people.

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 07-01-19, 06:17PM »
Exactly. Our stock control team is as baffled and hacked off by this as the rest of us.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 07-01-19, 09:05PM »
I agree the fault is not the stores stock control teams, however the fact is somebody in the head office has told the system to force this stock into stores, be it the person(s) who first programmed it or those who have been using it since and telling it what to do, and the people involved should be made to account for this farce, store I'm in has had silly amounts of produce sent in since Boxing day, the only saving grace is most of the unsold stuff went to the local food bank to help those in need.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 07-01-19, 09:45PM »
My store has so much fresh critical stock, Produce, Meat, Poultry and Dairy have stopped doing PR off the system. We reduce everything by 75% at the beginning of the day. There's simply too much stock to reduce it any other way.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 08-01-19, 08:07AM »
Suspect the plan to centralise stock control was sold on basis they could prevent overstocks and cut waste, however one size does not fit all.

Excess Fresh stock not only impacts profits (by having to sell it reduced) but also harms customer perception around freshness when whole ranges are on display with only 1-2 days life; not to mention the cost in time/equipment spend reducing it multiple times.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 08-01-19, 11:53AM »
Last week was hell input fresh department, lots of stock being forced in in pre Christmas quantities and no extra hours to manage stock correctly, result being lots of bargains for customers and lots of free stock for staff.

This week seems to be back to normal

• Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 08-01-19, 12:12PM »
Our stock levels are a mess. Promotion stock piling in when items are no longer on promotion. End result a lot of bargains and food waste. So much for zero waste.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #22 on: 08-01-19, 04:23PM »
The system only works if it has the correct data . A lot of our capacities are wrong in fresh but if you tell anyone they just shrug and do nothing . I don't see stock controllers so it's probably not passed on . It only works if everyone does their jobs right and that's never likely to happen .

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 08-01-19, 04:31PM »
Stock control, in spite of the name, cannot alter the amount of fresh stock that is forced in by centre. They can only count it and pass on the information. But the fault is solely with Centre/Head Office. They are the ones responsible for this omni-shambles.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 08-01-19, 06:00PM »
The system only works if it has the correct data . A lot of our capacities are wrong in fresh but if you tell anyone they just shrug and do nothing . I don't see stock controllers so it's probably not passed on . It only works if everyone does their jobs right and that's never likely to happen .
Capacities do not matter on produce. Can't remember about dairy or bread but I suspect they are sales based as well.