Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-01-19, 02:42AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6331
  • Latest: Mk
Stats
  • Total Posts: 75916
  • Total Topics: 1552
  • Online Today: 145
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 89
Total: 92

Author Topic: Overtime cancellation  (Read 3027 times)

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter
Overtime cancellation
« on: 29-12-18, 04:27PM »
Hey, what’s the rules around cancelling overtime shifts? We’ve had people come in to work them only to be sent home mid way through. I was pretty sure there was a minimum 24 hours notice that has to be given for this?

• Regular Pain
Re: Overtime cancellation
« Reply #1 on: 29-12-18, 05:03PM »
They should contact you before the shift starts. In my place it has never happened. The managers struggle to get people in and ask the impossible of those on shift. Tell them if they can't have the decency to inform you prior to shift start you'll not be doing them any more favors. When the store manager walks through the store and asks them why the place is a shambles they'll be wishing they hadn't messed you about.

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 29-12-18, 05:07PM »
Thanks for the response. Is this a contractual requirement to contact before the shift or just common courtesy?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 29-12-18, 05:09PM »
They can ask you to finish earlier, but they can't tell you.....if a manager sends you home you should be paid for the whole shift, same as in any other contracted shift. Same as when you agree to do an overtime shift, it gets classed as a normal contract shift if you call in sick ......unless of course, the rules have drastically changed and USDAW has allowed the partnership agreement to erode even more ???
« Last Edit: 29-12-18, 05:12PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

m360

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 29-12-18, 09:43PM »
Lucgeo, overtime sickness is not classed the same as a contracted shift sickness.

If you have agreed to an overtime shift and are sick, they still ask you to phone in and they should do a RTW meeting on your return  to check you are fit, however this won’t be included in any absence % and you won’t need an attendance meeting

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 30-12-18, 11:34AM »
Thanks m360....I am somewhat out of the loop since no longer a rep....however I had been led to believe that overtime sickness was now the same as contracted, indeed it is what has been happening in my store....obviously some managers unsure or just making it up as they're going along, possibly to restrict sick calls on overtime  ???

« Reply #6 on: 30-12-18, 03:55PM »
m360

I always believed that overtime wasn't included in a colleague's absence percentage but a couple of months ago all the managers went on a new course regarding sickness, etc, and all of them have since said that they were told at this training session that once a colleague agrees to an overtime shift it becomes part of their contract and should now be used in the absence calculation.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 30-12-18, 04:25PM »
if thats the case then everybody should tell them to stick the overtime up their f***in arses!!! >:(

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 30-12-18, 04:27PM »
and people are going in new years day. f***ing insane if you ask me. let lewis and his cronies do it >:(

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 30-12-18, 04:58PM »
m360

I always believed that overtime wasn't included in a colleague's absence percentage but a couple of months ago all the managers went on a new course regarding sickness, etc, and all of them have since said that they were told at this training session that once a colleague agrees to an overtime shift it becomes part of their contract and should now be used in the absence calculation.

Flexi contracts only, as it forms part of there contract when flexed up, fixed hour contract the rules remain the same not taken into account, but continuous sickness on overtime can be dealt with as conduct, as your taking a shift or shifts others may want.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #10 on: 30-12-18, 05:07PM »
It used to say, on the Welcome Back form, that overtime absence was not included in the %age.
Has that changed and/or do they have different WB forms for flexi & contract workers?

« Reply #11 on: 30-12-18, 06:35PM »
m360

Flexi contracts only, as it forms part of there contract when flexed up, fixed hour contract the rules remain the same not taken into account, but continuous sickness on overtime can be dealt with as conduct, as your taking a shift or shifts others may want.

In my store approximately 95% of colleagues are on a flexi contract.

m360

• Regular Pain
« Reply #12 on: 30-12-18, 07:30PM »
Below is from sickness absence policy on OurTesco - you made me doubt myself!  ;D

6. What happens if I am sick on an overtime or flexi shift?
If you are ill when you are due to work on overtime or flexi shift (stores) you must still call in to tell us you won’t be coming into work. Your absence will still be recorded and you’ll still have a return to work meeting, however it won’t be included in your absence review level.

m360

• Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 30-12-18, 07:34PM »
If any manager tries to take you through a formal process for overtime/flexi shift absence, let them crack on with it, then appeal/grievance it at the end.

Wastes their time and serves them right for not knowing the process.

Took me 2 minutes to check that.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #14 on: 31-12-18, 12:32PM »
I think you are expecting a little too much re managers knowing policy. We had recently a person on produce who forgot to clock in on her overtime shift, she was intercepted and just forgot.

Anyway she did the shift and spoke to her manager about the non clocking and get this reply..............

He told her it was classed as misconduct not to clock in however he would be nice and not take her down the disciplinary route it was enough that she had worked a 7.5 hour shift which she would not be getting paid for but she needed to make sure she clocked on in the future as he would not be so generous again......

It was only when she was asked by the lead manager why she was upset and she told him that

A....The line manager was told he was a bellend

B...She got paid...

Now if she had been a youngster and anxious she would have let it go thankfully she didnt but thats not the point.

That is the kind of people you have working in management, then they wonder why moral is at an all time low.

m360

• Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 31-12-18, 12:55PM »
Disgusting.

cityboy

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 31-12-18, 02:54PM »
forrestgimp, please report this"manager", even anonymously, as he sounds like a lot of mind f*** managers I have met over the years. We let them get away with it, especially on our young colleagues, if we don't help. She deserves better.

In the store where I work, the flexi-contract workers are bullied into shifts and then cut to the bone in January, but I just grumble about it. A manager where I work told those on flexi-contract on nights they had to come in 01/01/2019 "lie", as it was a bank-holiday,"lie", 31/12/2018 was our BH on nights. He bent the truth to put pressure on these mainly young people. I will report him without adding my name, but if no action, then I need to grow a bigger set. This is nearly 2019, bullying is abhorrent in this day and age.

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 31-12-18, 11:24PM »
I have witnessed all of the above. It is about time more people stood up to these clowns.

m360

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 01-01-19, 12:35AM »
People shouldn’t be afraid to take out a grievance.

Ties up management time with investigations, and maybe just maybe the person who is behaving completely out of order might get dealt with

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #19 on: 01-01-19, 08:52AM »
forrestgimp, please report this"manager", even anonymously, as he sounds like a lot of mind f*** managers I have met over the years. We let them get away with it, especially on our young colleagues, if we don't help. She deserves better.

In the store where I work, the flexi-contract workers are bullied into shifts and then cut to the bone in January, but I just grumble about it. A manager where I work told those on flexi-contract on nights they had to come in 01/01/2019 "lie", as it was a bank-holiday,"lie", 31/12/2018 was our BH on nights. He bent the truth to put pressure on these mainly young people. I will report him without adding my name, but if no action, then I need to grow a bigger set. This is nearly 2019, bullying is abhorrent in this day and age.

I cant the lady in question just wants to forget about it and in all honesty my reporting it even to the protector line would make no difference.

The over ridding thing for me is how the lead manager although the outcome for the lady was ok in so far as she got paid as far as I am aware nothing other than being told he is a bellend happened to the line manager, This is the worst he has done but it is by no means an isolated incident.

We used to have a personnel manager who was very good at reigning in loose cannon egotistical line managers but they were deemed surplus to requirements and now the line managers are left to run amok. 
« Last Edit: 01-01-19, 08:54AM by forrestgimp »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 01-01-19, 09:57AM »
Oh indeed, some managers in our store think it's open season on the temps and low hour flexi workers....one manager told a flexi colleague he HAD to work Boxing Day and New Year's Day as they were his contracted days....and was insistent until I told the lad to bring in his contract with the highlighted section that NO colleagues HAVE to work Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day...didn't stop the manager ranting on at him and saying that there would be no overtime available to him in future  :-X :-X

It's also become common practice that when colleagues give over a weeks notice that they are unable to work an overtime shift that they have put down to work, that THEY have to find someone to cover the shift or work it  ???
« Last Edit: 01-01-19, 10:01AM by lucgeo »