Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-03-19, 08:09AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58767
  • Total Topics: 1087
  • Online Today: 166
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Can I change my contract, been with Tesco for 4 months.  (Read 2982 times)

hgrcafc2016

• VLH Supporter
Hi I've been working on checkouts for 4 months and I'm on flexi contract, any possibility I could get rid of Sat*rdays! Also move from checkouts? On 9.25 hours contract.
« Last Edit: 24-12-18, 02:12AM by hgrcafc2016 »

Redshoes

• Know All
You can apply for any internal vacancies.

captain

• Smart Arse
Oh dear,
Another one who doesn't want to work any part of weekend.
Why work in retail then?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Your chances are slim, given the low contract you're on...but ask, they can only say no!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

hgrcafc2016

• VLH Supporter
Oh dear,
Another one who doesn't want to work any part of weekend.
Why work in retail then?
your wrong my contract is 4 hours on sat and 6 on sunday. Saturday just seems to be pointless to work.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
What I think people are confused about is why you took the job on when its weekend work, you say 4 hours on Sat*rday is pointless but its obviously not pointless to Tesco or they would not have given you the job.

So your choices are to ask for alternative hours elsewhere which is unlikely to happen, you can apply for other jobs as they come up but I assume you are still a temp so your chances are slim to none of getting one and you can always blow off Sundays legally, do that though an I would not hold much hope of getting a permanent contract.

hgrcafc2016

• VLH Supporter
to be honest i guess the best chance is to get through the first 6 months and if they give me permanent contract then to start asking? But i acceot your point i can live with saturday but since i travel around the country alot to watch my team it's a but uncomfortable (football)

• Know All
You are on a flexi agreement. Wait until you are made permanent then ask. It is not "pointless" you are are only asking. Not wanting to work weekends is like a retail person not wanting to work Christmas. ;)

Walker

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
He should be on a permanent contract anyway. Temporary contracts really only apply for seasonal workers (i.e summer and Christmas).

Flexi is a different thing - it's still a permanent contract, it just means they can vary your noncontractual hours.

It will be hard to get a shop floor position in January as it's our quietest month but you can keep your ear to the ground and maybe make yourself known to other managers.

• Know All
make yourself known to the managers ;D

Walker

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Re: Can I change my contract, been with Tesco for 4 months.
« Reply #10 on: 25-12-18, 03:28PM »
Yep.

Sorry, you think most shop floor managers are going to pay much attention to someone working a few hours on the tills on the weekend or will even know you want to do some shop floor overtime unless you use your words?

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 27-12-18, 09:21AM »
Nobody in my store has dropped a Saturday in ages. There has also been a huge clampdown on managers refusing to work Sunday's. Very few are contracted so it tends to be an extra day. Managers are not allowed to refuse to work certain shifts, be they Saturday's, Sunday's, lates or earlies. It then all comes down the line.
If you are not prepared to work during the busiest trading times you should really find a job outside of retail. It will also really annoy your fellow colleagues if this is your goal. You will find loads of people in every store who feel that as they have been contacted to Saturday's for the past 5-10 years feel that if anyone gets a Saturday off it should be them. If you do manage to swing it and get your shift changed on a Saturday your fellow colleagues will notice and there will be a flood of complaints. If you do have a special event you would like to attend you could arrange a shift change or book a holiday but you need to restrict this to that special event.

Paulie

« Reply #12 on: 27-12-18, 10:11AM »
There's always a little jealously with staff who don't work weekends.  But it's nobody's business which shifts you do, if your contract does not include weekends, so be it.  There is plenty of valid reasons why you can't work, looking after kids, elderly etc

I personally have no problem in retail with everyone getting one day off on weekend has long as you work one of them whether its Sat*rday or Sunday.

Poolie Exile

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #13 on: 29-12-18, 02:02PM »
I was unhappy in one department so had a quiet word with one of the nicer managers. Yes there are some! Anyway he got me over to his section. So just ask around your store. Regards Saturday again just ask and explain your reasons you never know. I'd wait until you've been there a tad longer though or it won't happen. I saw a job internally on the wall in the office on the same department and exact same job  that I currently work which dropped Saturdays and I overheard that someone had let them down for those days  (so right place right time for once) so keep looking on our Tesco or around your store then apply. I personally had childcare issues and needed to drop Saturday so I applied and got the job on the same section which just changed some of my days and dropped a Saturday. You'll have to apply and go for an interview though so not a given. Good luck!