Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24-06-19, 10:15AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 57789
  • Total Topics: 1018
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Xmas hours  (Read 6544 times)

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
Re: Xmas hours
« Reply #25 on: 20-12-18, 06:21AM »
Payback for cutting our premiums . Ho ho ho.No extra hours.We have lives outside the stores.

Totot

« Reply #26 on: 20-12-18, 11:31AM »
 Will be worse in express, let see how many expresses closed in boxing day, whole day or partially, i know some will for sure.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #27 on: 20-12-18, 06:06PM »
Maybe they will try the pathetic stunt from last Christmas and try and guilt trip staff from local superstores into covering in express by telling them, that by not helping to keep the express shops open a customer might not be able to get the one thing they have forgot that is so important to their Christmas, and how would you feel knowing this. Yes this tactic was really used to try to get superstore and extra staff in our city to work overtime in the local express shops on Christmas eve, and boxing day.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #28 on: 20-12-18, 09:08PM »
The point I was making was a lot of the companies profits come over the Xmas Period. By refusing to do ANY extra hours, you could potentially be harming profits.

Of course everyone has a life outside of work, and has other commitments but doing a little bit extra once a year really isn't that bad.
That extra work once a year is fine but what if full time worker is expected to work 7 days a week for a whole yr?
At least I am in that situation. Constant asking week after week, can I work extra day next week.
I don't mind doing some extra shift but ....there is no reward for doing more.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #29 on: 21-12-18, 04:36AM »
BTW. Most stores need agency staff to cover Xmas period. What I seen, at least in our store they are being paid more than tesco workers. Up to £9 p/h with paid breaks. One agency paid over £8 and now we have other paying £9.  Yes they have no good benefits like work place pension, holiday etc but they are getting more than tesco staff if we just look at basic rate.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #30 on: 21-12-18, 08:06AM »
Yes headline pay rate is higher, but Tesco aren't liable for their holiday or sickness pay, and they don't get staff benefits.....So overall the actual cost to Tesco is probably less than a Tesco Employee.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #31 on: 21-12-18, 09:13AM »
The point I was making was a lot of the companies profits come over the Xmas Period. By refusing to do ANY extra hours, you could potentially be harming profits.

Of course everyone has a life outside of work, and has other commitments but doing a little bit extra once a year really isn't that bad.

Not even I'm arrogant enough to believe me not doing a Sunday shift would effect the company's profits 8-)

The last week or so before Xmas is a bloody nightmare for everyone on the shop floor, and produce gets hit harder than most. After years of watching people panic buy because the shop is closed for a whole day, I shudder to think how bad it will be if the worst predictions of a No Deal Brexit come to pass.

So after doing my 36.5, the last thing I feel like doing is working another shift on top during a Sunday when I could be lying in bed watching TV.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #32 on: 21-12-18, 09:16AM »
Maybe they will try the pathetic stunt from last Christmas and try and guilt trip staff from local superstores into covering in express by telling them, that by not helping to keep the express shops open a customer might not be able to get the one thing they have forgot that is so important to their Christmas, and how would you feel knowing this. Yes this tactic was really used to try to get superstore and extra staff in our city to work overtime in the local express shops on Christmas eve, and boxing day.

Dear God, are there people so dumb that actually worked on them?!

If a manager said that to me, I'd honestly be worried I might lose control of my bladder from laughing so hard. :D ;D

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #33 on: 21-12-18, 10:24AM »
Yes headline pay rate is higher, but Tesco aren't liable for their holiday or sickness pay, and they don't get staff benefits.....So overall the actual cost to Tesco is probably less than a Tesco Employee.
What we've been told by our night senior, tesco pay them from £18 to £20 pound per hour.
According to latest OECD data wage wedge in UK is 31% so  that means our £10 gross pay costs company £13.10.  It might be few % less or more (it includes all costs like nic, pension, bonuses, holidays, training etc) but that means tesco is loosing heavily on agency staff.

The-shelf-filler

« Reply #34 on: 26-12-18, 10:30PM »
What are the bank holidays for Xmas and new year ?

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #35 on: 01-01-19, 07:29PM »
On days its 25/26 1/2.  On nights its voted for.

• Know All
« Reply #36 on: 02-01-19, 12:44PM »
What we've been told by our night senior, tesco pay them from £18 to £20 pound per hour.
According to latest OECD data wage wedge in UK is 31% so  that means our £10 gross pay costs company £13.10.  It might be few % less or more (it includes all costs like nic, pension, bonuses, holidays, training etc) but that means tesco is loosing heavily on agency staff.

£20/hour for walking about giving orders leaving bonus aside. They don't even need to do that. TMs deal with holidays, return to work, investigations, disciplinary... In stores I've worked the Senior is just a clueless/unfit TM.

SlavesRus

« Reply #37 on: 09-01-19, 01:48AM »
What if one wanted to work on xmas eve/Boxing Day but the overtime was given to workers out of store(in house staff not asked if they would want the overtime) is there a policy concerning this as the store manager basically gave overtime to his mates from other store(express)?

madness

• Know All
« Reply #38 on: 09-01-19, 10:53AM »
Damned if you do damned if you don't

• Know All
« Reply #39 on: 09-01-19, 11:41AM »
What if one wanted to work on xmas eve/Boxing Day but the overtime was given to workers out of store(in house staff not asked if they would want the overtime) is there a policy concerning this as the store manager basically gave overtime to his mates from other store(express)?

It is not about being a hard worker at Tesco it is about who is sucking the hardest. Internals should always be asked before new staff and agency are brought in. The longer your service the less loyalty you get. No wonder people end up doing no overtime.