Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24-06-19, 10:55AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 57793
  • Total Topics: 1018
  • Online Today: 171
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Xmas hours  (Read 6545 times)

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Xmas hours
« on: 17-12-18, 12:17PM »
Is it true that if I work Xmas Eve then I don't have to work Xmas Eve? Some at my store think it is,but seeing as my manager can't be ar**d doing our Xmas hours I've no idea

leopard

Re: Xmas hours
« Reply #1 on: 17-12-18, 01:26PM »
I work nights and we've been told we're got to work Christmas eve this year ?

Does anyone know the rules about being made to work Christmas eve ?

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 17-12-18, 01:42PM »
Xmas eve is a normal day not a bank holiday.

Adz3d

« Reply #3 on: 17-12-18, 01:59PM »
If it's not your contract day then you don't have to work it.

oldfashionedplayer

« Reply #4 on: 17-12-18, 02:00PM »
Correct it's a working day, but you could use your personal day for it, as it states In the handbook that you can use your personal day between December and January, if you want to use it later than that you need to agree it with your manager.

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 17-12-18, 02:40PM »
Christmas hours ;D

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 17-12-18, 04:39PM »
does the person/persons who decided to open our store on boxing day and new years day fancy doing my shifts, because i know one person who won't be doing them  :-X :D

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 17-12-18, 04:57PM »
Is it true that if I work Xmas Eve then I don't have to work Xmas Eve? Some at my store think it is,but seeing as my manager can't be ar**d doing our Xmas hours I've no idea
If it is your normal contracted hours ie you normally work Monday then you have to work said hours on Christmas eve.

You could try, shift swap or requesting holiday/personal day but don't be surprised if they get turned down.

Oh the joys of retail

On a slight tangent nobody can be forced to work boxing day, just imagine if EVERYBODY refused to work said day then the shop would not open

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 17-12-18, 06:03PM »
Administrator Comment Post deleted for unnecessary bile. Nomad

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #9 on: 17-12-18, 08:05PM »
If you work nights, the nights you are off at Xmas and new year should be agreed beforehand with the staff.
I don't suppose that always happens, tho.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 18-12-18, 07:08PM »
If it is your normal contracted hours ie you normally work Monday then you have to work said hours on Christmas eve.

You could try, shift swap or requesting holiday/personal day but don't be surprised if they get turned down.

Oh the joys of retail

On a slight tangent nobody can be forced to work boxing day, just imagine if EVERYBODY refused to work said day then the shop would not open

Remember one year that nearly happened in a store, S.M got all managers together in front of the S.D who happend to be on a store visit, and told them to "f***ing sort it or expect a red review, and anyone who has a problem with knows full well where dole office is"  followed by "This matter is up for no debate, you've had your warning now sort it" Sadly a lot of weak staff who had previously said no to working it then got bullied into doing so very quickly.

Pardon the swearing but that is word for word what got said.
« Last Edit: 18-12-18, 07:09PM by penguin »
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 18-12-18, 07:32PM »
That happened in ours, a good few years back old structure just team leaders and managers worked, store hasn’t opened on a Boxing Day since.

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 19-12-18, 01:34AM »
Similar happened in a place I worked. Overheard the SM taking the p**s about it with a Lead saying "surprise surprise you'll never guess who's phoned in sick today"

emx279

« Reply #13 on: 19-12-18, 03:29PM »
I work nights and this year at our store no night workers are going in, it was the same last year too.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 19-12-18, 07:06PM »
Years ago, my manager got very annoyed when I refused to work the Sunday before Xmas week. She told me she, "Expected all her staff to work overtime in the run up to Xmas".

I pointed out that what she expected and what I was contracted to do were two very different things.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 19-12-18, 07:29PM »
You are right but surely you see how this could work both ways. Are there not times when you would like a day off you normally work and your manager would give it to you?

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 19-12-18, 07:32PM »
If you work in retail surely you should be willing to do some extra hours at our busiest/most profitable time.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 19-12-18, 08:11PM »
You are right but surely you see how this could work both ways. Are there not times when you would like a day off you normally work and your manager would give it to you?

She had a bad attitude. I responded in kind. My current manager is much more flexible, and as such I'm perfectly willing to do him favours in return when he asks.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 19-12-18, 08:12PM »
If you work in retail surely you should be willing to do some extra hours at our busiest/most profitable time.

Jog on. I don't owe tesco a damn thing. If I work extra hours, it's because I want to. Not because some manager, "expects" it.

And don't call me Shirley. ;)

Cuddlypup

• Regular Pain
« Reply #19 on: 19-12-18, 08:15PM »
No extra hours for anyone in our local store, agency temps filling 12 hour shifts every night this week and Xmas temps by the bucket load in the day.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 19-12-18, 08:18PM »

Not often I'll say this but I'm in total agreement with Vlad. I never ask for overtime, so don't expect to be asked to do overtime. Many I know, rely on the overtime, but in the run up to Christmas this year, all overtime has been allocated to the temps, without any offer to the usual staff.

On the sad occasions when Xmas Eve is my contracted day, I have worked the busy morning, then as usual once the veg, last bits rush is over the store becomes quiet by about midday.....then all the managers start patting each other on the back (usual didn't WE work well ) off they go for lunch, then all go home with a bottle of fizz from the SM, probably paid for from petty cash or other dubious means. Lucky if we get a thanks on the way out.

As for getting a day off when needed, most managers have selective memories, a request is usually met with, "can't have unpaid, use a days holiday if there's no one else off!!"
« Last Edit: 19-12-18, 08:21PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 19-12-18, 11:55PM »

Years ago, my manager got very annoyed when I refused to work the Sunday before Xmas week. She told me she, "Expected all her staff to work overtime in the run up to Xmas".

I pointed out that what she expected and what I was contracted to do were two very different things.
spot on vlad :thumbup:

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 19-12-18, 11:59PM »

Jog on. I don't owe tesco a damn thing. If I work extra hours, it's because I want to. Not because some manager, "expects" it.

And don't call me Shirley.:thumbup: :D

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 20-12-18, 05:56AM »
The point I was making was a lot of the companies profits come over the Xmas Period. By refusing to do ANY extra hours, you could potentially be harming profits.

Of course everyone has a life outside of work, and has other commitments but doing a little bit extra once a year really isn't that bad.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #24 on: 20-12-18, 06:03AM »
Not that bad if you've a 12hr contract but if you're full time it would be . As you've your own Christmas shopping to do and why have the few days you have off to spend with your family spoilt because you're exhausted doing overtime .