Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19-10-19, 10:39AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8508
  • Latest: sheryle
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61717
  • Total Topics: 1084
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Smoking in vans.  (Read 2444 times)

Tikoloshe

Smoking in vans.
« on: 10-12-18, 11:42AM »
As an ex smoker I had a hard time reporting a van once. It had been out all day then back in for reloading then parked in a bay. It stank. Really bad. An hour in i had a headache and my stomach was doing backflips.

It honestly smelled like someone sat and chainsmoked in it all day then stomped the fags out and had them stuck to their boots. the steering wheel REEKED as did my hands.
Reported  reluctantly due to 1) original driver leaving van spoke to me but was acting suspiciously off and 2) my eyes were streaming and I wanted to heave out the window 

Wasn't your mate was it? Opening a window doesn't stop fag tar, chemicals and toxic shiz sticking to everything in the cab.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Smoking in vans.
« Reply #1 on: 10-12-18, 02:10PM »
Once took over a van at lunchtime to find it had been left with doors wide open in the vain hope that would dispel the smell of cigarettes.  By and large smokers do not realise how much they stink as their filthy habit has affected their sense of smell.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 10-12-18, 07:48PM »
With all the PC nowadays, Twould seem the smokers ( lepers ) in our community are fair game  ??? Seriously, would you be so hostile if a colleague has a bad case of B.O.?? I think not, indeed the few we have in our workplace are never approached, despite constant complaints, because the managers don't know how to handle it...and are reluctant incase a grievance put in....breaking wind in the company of others, laughed off, but hey....you're a smoker?? Cue helicopter arms...tutting.... unwarranted comments of "filthy habit" etc....seriously..get off your high horses, in my experience smokers are least likely to go to the docs, incase they get sent to hospital and can't smoke....they pay a high tax on their LEGAL purchase of habit of choice. Have you ever thought how much more pollution goes into the environment with petrol fumes, yet I suppose that is different?? Check out next time you see a child in a pushchair, their faces are in direct contact with the airflow of car exhausts, whilst being pushed about :-X :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 10-12-18, 09:08PM »
 :thumbup: couldn't have put it better myself :)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 11-12-18, 12:39AM »
As I suffer from asthma the last thing I need is selfish smokers polluting my airspace.  Yes, there are other issues which can affect air quality but smoking in the workplace is one which *has* been tackled and anyone who breaches the rules on this deserves all the vitriol going.

jack_cohens_shame

« Reply #5 on: 11-12-18, 09:25AM »
Smokers stink, it's a disgusting habit and the activity should be confined to their own private habitat where it will not impact on anybody else. They should also use strong odour combating spray before seeking the company of others. Just because it's legal and they pay for the right to get horrible diseases and shorten their lives, does not make smoking and it's after effects socially acceptable to others. I'm surprised anybody with common sense takes up smoking or continues with it nowadays but thankfully, smokers are literally a dying breed.
« Last Edit: 11-12-18, 09:33AM by mac84 »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #6 on: 11-12-18, 10:18AM »
mac84 & others, do you condemn in the same manner those who over-eat while doing little exercise and thereby create considerable problems for themselves and society in general ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 11-12-18, 10:24AM »
I must confess I do grumble when I get into a van driven by one of my larger colleague if it has one of the "bouncy castle" seats which are a pain to adjust to make them as stable as possible.

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 11-12-18, 12:19PM »
It’s quite ironic that in the interests of protecting others, smokers are pooled into designated areas, which realistically compounds most of the issues people have with smoking.

10 smokers smoking in the same place compounds the smell as apposed to 10 smokers in different areas smoking.

As for Smoking in vans, it’s actually illegal, by law you cannot smoke in a shared enclosed workspace. Hefty fines per instance for individuals and the company.

https://www.gov.uk/smoking-at-work-the-law

I,m surprised it happens still, particularly with how vocal some “professional drivers” can be about what their legal obligations are.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

AmazingWizard

« Reply #9 on: 11-12-18, 01:09PM »
I got in a van the other night to move it as it wasn't being used and was taking up a loading bay. It stank of smoke. I was in it 2 minutes, and all I thought was thank god this isn't my van for the night.  I saw the manager 5 minutes later and told him to check it out. As posted before, it's illegal and disrespectful to others who have to use the work space. I couldn't care less if you smoke, each to their own. Just do it outside the van. Many friends and family smoke, so personally doesn't bother me if you smoke, but none of them just light up inside their work, they go outside. Just because it's a van doesn't change that. I'd say the same about leaving litter lying around and making a huge mess without cleaning it.

Personally, I've no idea how someone can have the time to smoke while doing deliveries at my store. Lucky if I have a minute to get a drink. Maybe that's why they're smoking in the van as they drive. But plenty other drivers who seem to manage smoke outside of the van.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 11-12-18, 05:36PM »
Indeed gomezz, smoking inside ?*has*? been tackled, and the smokers have abided to it, the amount of pubs closed and lost to the local communities, and the jobs with them, when quite honestly having a zoned off area for smokers (old days snug), to let people make their own choice, could have saved a lot of pubs and jobs.

mac84..I would be suprised if anyone sought out your company, if you are as self opinionated (boorish) as you sound on everything you disagree with. Perhaps YOU'RE not so socially acceptable as YOU think.... :-X :-X

The whole reason of my post, was to highlight how some non smokers, deem themselves superior to a smoker?? They act so self righteous in actually screwing up their noses in disgust, and feel they are free to loudly voice their opinions of "filthy habit" etc....directly at the smoker. Don't think they would be so keen to approach a drug addict, and express their disgust so quickly though ???

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 11-12-18, 06:06PM »
Smoking in a shared van is illegal.....End of no it's or butts.

If you feel the need to smoke do it somewhere it's legal to do so.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 11-12-18, 07:02PM »
Correct londoner83...and anyone not abiding to the rules deserve a reprimand, especially if they leave their butts  ;)

So my point in layman's terms.....if you worked with a person who smelt would you state loudly..."you stink!!" Whilst wafting your arms in the air and screwing your nose up in distaste  ??? ???

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 11-12-18, 07:43PM »
That question was not directed at londoner83  8-) 8-)

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 11-12-18, 07:54PM »
anyone know anybody who smokes, has b.o, and farts a lot?  ;)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 11-12-18, 10:14PM »
So my point in layman's terms.....if you worked with a person who smelt would you state loudly..."you stink!!" Whilst wafting your arms in the air and screwing your nose up in distaste  ??? ???
I may well do if had to work in a confined space like the cab of van with that stink.