Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-07-19, 09:42AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58120
  • Total Topics: 1030
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes  (Read 781389 times)

King1999

Re: 2019 Structure Changes
« Reply #4925 on: 10-07-19, 07:21PM »
Before it collapsed it would be bought out by an American or Chinese company.
For 1p it's all legit    8) ;D

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #4926 on: 10-07-19, 07:47PM »
1.If Tesco did go bankrupt, most of the people that see Tesco as a career would get redundancy (It will be most of the new casual workers that won't or people with under 2 years service). which would definitly be enough to last them until they find a new job (not necessarily in retail). Add to that a significant number of current employees are holding out for redundancy, they want to quit but want something for their years of suffering.

2. Tesco pays 21p above the national living wage, some of the independents probably pay better, also the workload will be a lot less stressful, after all independents only account for 1% of the market share, so even if you're paid 21p less per hour, your workload most likely will be a lot less.

During bankruptcy the creditors get paid and generally there is no money for the staff. Think back to Woolworths and BHS. It was a bit different for BHS but bankruptcy means the pot is dry, no money to continue so no money for redundancy, not from the company anyway. Also, as far as I'm aware there is no redundancy for those with less than two years service, this was the case so if it has changed I have missed it but even if they did get it the amount would be very low.
I have known loads of people who have moved to other retailers over the years. A very high percentage have come back. The grass is not always greener. Most people who have moved round different stores see the reality. Not all stores are the same, we have good ones and bad ones. We have good colleagues and bad ones, same for managers. Life would be very dull if we were all the same amd different is good. We can agree or disagree, we are lucky to live in a country that allows this but it would see that some people find it harder to accept difference and tolerance of others and only see negative.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4927 on: 11-07-19, 11:06AM »
From a legal standpoint, staff are also creditors since we are paid in arrears - the company perpetually owes us money for our labour. What happened with companies like Woolworths and BHS is they announced insolvency on pay day (insolvencies are always announced to the markets on Fridays to minimise share price impact), meaning for that brief moment staff were not creditors as they had just been paid, thus eliminating them from any input to the administrative process and leaving them to collect their dues from the Government fund instead. Unethical perhaps but that’s the way it usually plays out.

I’ve also known people move to other retailers and come back, the grass doesn’t sound greener to me but in terms of both pay and conditions Tesco over time is definitely moving closer to being the same as those others - not long ago I overheard our SM saying the grass isn’t greener, it’s a different shade of brown ;)
« Last Edit: 11-07-19, 11:10AM by OvaSees »

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #4928 on: 11-07-19, 11:15AM »
Why has this thread turned into everyone thinking that tesco is gonna go bust?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4929 on: 11-07-19, 11:45AM »
Wishful thinking perhaps  ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4930 on: 12-07-19, 12:25AM »
Before it collapsed it would be bought out by an American or Chinese company.
For 1p it's all legit    8) ;D
i wouldn't touch the shithole with a barge pole >:D :D
« Last Edit: 12-07-19, 12:26AM by lackofinterest »

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #4931 on: 12-07-19, 09:25AM »
From a legal standpoint, staff are also creditors since we are paid in arrears - the company perpetually owes us money for our labour. What happened with companies like Woolworths and BHS is they announced insolvency on pay day (insolvencies are always announced to the markets on Fridays to minimise share price impact), meaning for that brief moment staff were not creditors as they had just been paid, thus eliminating them from any input to the administrative process and leaving them to collect their dues from the Government fund instead. Unethical perhaps but that’s the way it usually plays out.

I’ve also known people move to other retailers and come back, the grass doesn’t sound greener to me but in terms of both pay and conditions Tesco over time is definitely moving closer to being the same as those others - not long ago I overheard our SM saying the grass isn’t greener, it’s a different shade of brown ;)

Nope, it's now worse than the others except Icelands (from september it'll be better than Coop, Icelands and Morrisons until Morrisons get their pay review). They are the market leader, they should be paying leading rates.

As for terms and conditions, full timers working 9 hour shifts get a 1.5 hour unpaid break (the policy regarding breaks has changed but most SMs still take off 1.5 hours in a 9 hour shift). A 9 hour shift at Sainsburies gives a 1 hour unpaid break.

In short the only thing Tesco has that's worth anything in comparison with the other retailers is its Sunday Premium and Bank Holiday Premium (though even that is not much better than the competition).

It's only worth working at Tesco as a part time job while looking for something better/ studying, other retailers pay a higher wage and a higher salary for management positions.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #4932 on: 12-07-19, 11:05AM »
I have always believed that companies that pay 4 weekly should be made by law to pay basic pay 2 weeks in arrears and 2 weeks in advance, fairer all round.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4933 on: 12-07-19, 11:07AM »
OvaSees...good to see you back  :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Biggal

« Reply #4934 on: 12-07-19, 02:28PM »
I heard in store today that SM has big meetings next week with week 23 being DDay for a structure change which will be complete after Xmas new year

beentheredoneit

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #4935 on: 12-07-19, 03:47PM »
Week 24 SMs have a big meeting.
Very much TOP SECRET
beentheredoneit

tick tock

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4936 on: 12-07-19, 03:59PM »
Made redundant  back in May after 27 years.
I'm already 1 month into new job and love it.
I sometimes go onto VLH to catch up with what's happening in TOSCO and it seems nothing has changed ie more restructuring and screwing colleagues over left n right.
Will anything ever change, I seriously doubt it.

Ssdd

« Reply #4937 on: 12-07-19, 08:49PM »
All I see is people saying week 22, 23 or 24 this... and no actual information. Just wait and see what's announced is 2-3 weeks time

Pnoom

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4938 on: 12-07-19, 09:12PM »
I work nights on Grocery in a large Extra, and it looks like the Scheduler is going to be implemented next month. Management, as you might expect, are being close-mouthed about the whole thing, apart from a few thinly-veiled threats about a "big shakeup" and some staff "getting a rude awakening".

From the little I've managed to glean from one of the few managers who isn't a pre-programmed Tesco android, it's an updated rehash of the last fiasco - no time allowed for dragging the stock from the warehouse, no time for splitting mixed cages, no time for decarding the aisles, etc, etc...

So, I'd like to ask those who are already labouring under the new regime, how does it work in your store? Are any adjustments being made for the real-world situations we face every night, or are the management sticking to what appears to be a Utopian ideal? Any disciplinaries arising from it?

Morale is rock bottom already, and this seems to be calculated to send it plummeting to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. If I was of a paranoid turn of mind, I'd say this was just part of a long-term plan to get rid of nights and replace us with a bunch of younger and cheaper Twilight staff. I'm wrong - aren't I?...

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #4939 on: 13-07-19, 12:59AM »
I was told that the new way of working is days do back stock a d we do delivery between us across the store splitting will. Be done when we come in except one which will be do e by one of the team we will see.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4940 on: 13-07-19, 09:33AM »
From what pnoom says it sounds a lot like the delivery scheduler from when dot com was opened all those years ago. We have a river runs through out town and it just thought it was a blue line on a map and would give you a 5 min slot to go from one deliver to another which was doable if the delivery vehicle was james bonds lotus and could submerge otherwise it was a 20 mile trip.

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #4941 on: 13-07-19, 12:38PM »
I work nights on Grocery in a large Extra, and it looks like the Scheduler is going to be implemented next month. Management, as you might expect, are being close-mouthed about the whole thing, apart from a few thinly-veiled threats about a "big shakeup" and some staff "getting a rude awakening".

From the little I've managed to glean from one of the few managers who isn't a pre-programmed Tesco android, it's an updated rehash of the last fiasco - no time allowed for dragging the stock from the warehouse, no time for splitting mixed cages, no time for decarding the aisles, etc, etc...

So, I'd like to ask those who are already labouring under the new regime, how does it work in your store? Are any adjustments being made for the real-world situations we face every night, or are the management sticking to what appears to be a Utopian ideal? Any disciplinaries arising from it?

Morale is rock bottom already, and this seems to be calculated to send it plummeting to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. If I was of a paranoid turn of mind, I'd say this was just part of a long-term plan to get rid of nights and replace us with a bunch of younger and cheaper Twilight staff. I'm wrong - aren't I?...

From an unfair dismissal perspective, if disciplinaries and documentation arise from not meeting the targets established by the tablet, would the performance targets set by the tablet pre disciplinaty be noted on the disciplinary documentation? If so and you propose to either the investigation manager or the judge of the tribunal that the targets imposed aren't possible to achieve (and knowing Tesco they won't be) how would the judge go on about determining the truth about the attainability of these tablet metrics?

King1999

« Reply #4942 on: 13-07-19, 04:18PM »
Surely if we are working to targets from these tablets there needs to be a change to contracts.....just a thought.

msl1791

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4943 on: 13-07-19, 07:27PM »
Surely if we are working to targets from these tablets there needs to be a change to contracts.....just a thought.

And what makes you think that with contracts? Could be a right mare with that....

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #4944 on: 13-07-19, 07:50PM »
As they currently stand the ones launched in the next month it’s just a scheduling tool and pretty pointless to be honest, yes there’s a viewable  heat map on them and additional hours compared to working in money like we did before.

The tablets have no targets or measures or anything, completely useless and pointless to be honest a complete waste of time and they eat up far too much time with prep and adjusting schedules.

Good points? As a manager you can automatically see a colleagues availability, forces managers to actually book holidays, you can see flexible  colleagues and plan shifts in. Other than that a complete waste of time and money,

DJL

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4945 on: 14-07-19, 07:42AM »
There are no targets on the tablets, they are just an expensive bit of paper where department schedules are produced!

The manager feeds in information based on their resource for a certain week, overtime is asked for; then confirmed by SM, and they schedule their team into the shifts needed to cover the routines, that’s it, nothing more exciting and not worth making things up about!

It won’t change anything instore, it won’t reduce or make staff redundant. It’s purely a scheduling tool that, one day, will be linked to the overall IT system so people can look at their shifts, confirm overtime, book holidays ect but with the ongoing technical issues that is still a long way away!

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #4946 on: 14-07-19, 10:02AM »
Tesco IT is shockingly bad....reduction printers that don’t connect, having to sign in 4 times to get to one thing you used to sign in once, and then it doesn’t load, we have pushed so much behind the storeapps it just refuses to work, I’ve said before I can spend half my week logging in/out of screens to get something I used to get within 2 mins.

The tablets are just another burden to the system and pretty pointless and time consuming! I write a schedule put it on the wall takes 10mins, colleagues sign off the flexible shifts, let me know if they can’t do it, I rewrite schedule end of the week it’s done!

On the tablet? Well I’ve wasted about 3hrs this week...checkout manager hasn’t put it down all week....

King1999

« Reply #4947 on: 14-07-19, 07:54PM »
And what makes you think that with contracts? Could be a right mare with that....

just a thought, you know how this company operates now they've pretty much destroyed stock control, counters, security and the massive issue of staff morale, which they will never get back.  Reinvent,reinvent, it's just a shop lower prices end of.

msl1791

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4948 on: 14-07-19, 08:01PM »

just a thought, you know how this company operates now they've pretty much destroyed stock control, counters, security and the massive issue of staff morale, which they will never get back.  Reinvent,reinvent, it's just a shop lower prices end of.

I see your point...morale is like you say...complete bottom. The day Lewis leaves this company the day I raise a glass... He's completely distroyed morale

Tooter1

« Reply #4949 on: 14-07-19, 08:01PM »
With regards to food stock control I've heard rumours that the manager will go soft structure. What can this even mean? Surely if they have lost half their department hours and colleagues their job will not exist so wouldn't that be redundancy?