Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25-05-19, 05:55AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 57165
  • Total Topics: 1009
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes  (Read 651792 times)

Dougall

• Regular Pain
Re: 2019 Structure Changes
« Reply #4300 on: 15-05-19, 09:30PM »
Rebranding shift leader to manager would cost money and would be a backward step towards deputies which were removed.
Yes, and I’m saying that why would they do that after only getting rid of deputies 3 years ago, if that was the case they should’ve kept deputies and dual sited every store. Convenience is not consistent not all stores or areas are the same
They would have to do it due to the increased responsibility, with the diminished presence of a store manager (due to them managing other stores) it leaves more to be done, another reason is that they have to be competitive, Sainsbury's shift leader equivalent are managers and they're paid the same as low end Team managers at superstore anf this is with a full time SM present, this also needs to be differentiated from the whole Deputy SM to Shift leader situation as the circumstances are different, for one the DM role existed when there was a full time SM and Team Leaders present, now there would only be a part time SM and a bunch of ca's.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4301 on: 15-05-19, 09:41PM »
Shift leader is in charge when S.M not in, clearly some matters only an S.M or above can sort out so in that case S.M or another local one gets called in, but if Tesco got express store managers having a few stores, shift leader role would be left as is, just the shift leaders would not get so much direct supervisson.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

NightAndDay

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4302 on: 15-05-19, 10:32PM »
The thing is, if they go with the dual site or cluster manager approach, this would likely replace the SM role, that would mean redundancies and fewer cluster managers available. There wouldn't be a high enough level of governance if they left SL responsibilities as is (for example conducting investigations and attendance reviews for colleagues in different stores on the same cluster would be problematic) hence the need of SL's having more responsibility and a rebranding to reflect the increased level of responsibility.

Overworked1

« Reply #4303 on: 16-05-19, 02:39PM »
They've cut the staff in Express to shreds but Extra stores still have far too many Team Managers. The team managers into 10pm do nothing. The delivery, backstock and top shelf can sit all day unworked for the night crew which is dwindling. The new stockies are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. IMO the stock control payouts were just a way of getting rid of more full time contracts as where we had 2 at the most we can now have 3/4 to an aisle. Dave creams 4.6 million while people are struggling by to pay rent at a few £100. You are better on benefits than working at Tesco- rent paid, money in the bank, free clothing, free travel, no food costs and no longstanding health issues from trying to deliver unrealistic demands. What a ******* place it is!

tick tock

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4304 on: 16-05-19, 05:55PM »
They've cut the staff in Express to shreds but Extra stores still have far too many Team Managers. The team managers into 10pm do nothing. The delivery, backstock and top shelf can sit all day unworked for the night crew which is dwindling. The new stockies are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. IMO the stock control payouts were just a way of getting rid of more full time contracts as where we had 2 at the most we can now have 3/4 to an aisle. Dave creams 4.6 million while people are struggling by to pay rent at a few £100. You are better on benefits than working at Tesco- rent paid, money in the bank, free clothing, free travel, no food costs and no longstanding health issues from trying to deliver unrealistic demands. What a ******* place it is!
well said sir
I take my hat off to you.
I was made redundant last week and enjoying a whole month off ,then I start my new job.
Worked nights for 8 years but slowly getting my sleep pattern where it should be.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4305 on: 16-05-19, 06:41PM »
They wouldn't have to do anything. There's plenty of keen youngsters who'll be tempted by the dangling carrot and willing to step up and put in the extra hours for free. Tesc know this all too well!

Reminds me of the old Soviet term, "Useful Idiots"... 8-)

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4306 on: 16-05-19, 07:08PM »
The thing is, if they go with the dual site or cluster manager approach, this would likely replace the SM role, that would mean redundancies and fewer cluster managers available. There wouldn't be a high enough level of governance if they left SL responsibilities as is (for example conducting investigations and attendance reviews for colleagues in different stores on the same cluster would be problematic) hence the need of SL's having more responsibility and a rebranding to reflect the increased level of responsibility.

You do have a valid point, but what is to stop them training up some shift leaders to do investigations and attendence reviews, does it have to be done by someone with the title of manager, or can anyone do them if trained and validated to do so. Personally I think we are some way of cluster managers but then this is Tesco and if it saves a few quid no doubt someone in the office might already be working on it.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

NightAndDay

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4307 on: 16-05-19, 07:55PM »
There's a rough guideline on how much responsibility corresponds with having "manager" in the title by the work level system and other external standardised guidelines and systems (RACI charts etc) and unlike floor level staff, they can't take the mick that much because they're not as easily replaceable also roles with competitors that have similar levels of responsibility and workload will have a salary commensurate with it.

Basically if Shift Leaders get these responsibilities added on to what they already do, they'd have the same if not a greater workload and responsibilities as Team Managers in Superstore.
« Last Edit: 16-05-19, 07:58PM by NightAndDay »

Toscoboy

« Reply #4308 on: 17-05-19, 12:37PM »
Well I'm a shift leader working in Express and there is a rumour going around that our store will be closing within a year at the most 2 years. Our store only takes 45k a week and I believe our yearly profit is between 50k-75k, which is not alot. Where this rumour is sourced from is from someone from group lead team who has slipped their younger to certain people and then word spreads.... With our tenancy agreement up this year with the building as well which brings more uncertainty to ours jobs. If this does happen then it will not shock me to see Tesco go through profitable stores and just get shut of stores with pointless profit...

Watch this space...

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #4309 on: 17-05-19, 01:20PM »
No profit is pointless as long as its consistent. It's the non profitable stores that need to be worried.

Overworked1

« Reply #4310 on: 18-05-19, 08:18AM »
The way our night Grocery is structured they can't even fill a toilet roll aisle.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #4311 on: 18-05-19, 11:06AM »
Any thoughts on which will be the next departments to be targeted?
T2019. No scaremongering please. It's not big & it's not clever.
Would love to know what might be in store for us next in the way of cuts. Could do with m360 popping his head up :)

Confused  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Ryry1988

« Reply #4312 on: 18-05-19, 12:30PM »
I've been trying to figure out the post redundancy notice payment (penp) however I find it all very confusing, is it a good or bad thing? Can't work out if it's an additional payment or they just deduct more tax from your redundancy package.

If anyone knows what it means that would be very helpful I'd appreciate any insight.

bmon83

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4313 on: 18-05-19, 05:29PM »
Anyone know anything about the upcoming managers structural change. All managers vacancies are on hold ??

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4314 on: 18-05-19, 07:29PM »
No profit is pointless as long as its consistent. It's the non profitable stores that need to be worried.

That depends on whether they think they can get a greater return using the resources for that shop elsewhere, simply making a profit is not enough.

Trhendy

« Reply #4315 on: 18-05-19, 07:30PM »
Hi I’ve just tried to access payslips online,not there any more.
Not sure if issue with website or I have now been removed.Can anyone else check
As this is the only way we can check our redundancy payments 😡😡

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4316 on: 18-05-19, 07:31PM »
says its down for maintenance for me mate so i wouldn't worry.

Trhendy

« Reply #4317 on: 18-05-19, 07:51PM »
Thanks,forrestgimp.Will check tomorrow

auld reekie

« Reply #4318 on: 18-05-19, 08:20PM »
Hi I’ve just tried to access payslips online,not their anymore.
Not sure if issue with website or I have now been removed.Can anyone else check
As this is the only way we can check our redundancy payments 😡😡
I’m sure you still have access for 12 weeks after leaving the company.

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #4319 on: 18-05-19, 08:59PM »
backdoor staff told in my store today,they are no longer needed before 7am,because of new heat map,and are all now in consultation for changes of hours,night manager is furious as it means nights will now have to check off bread/milk ect

« Reply #4320 on: 19-05-19, 07:04AM »
Trhendy

Due to essential maintenance from 00:01 on Saturday 18th May to 23:59 on Sunday 19th May, the payslip website: www.payslipview.com will not be available.               

Overworked1

« Reply #4321 on: 19-05-19, 08:21AM »
backdoor staff told in my store today,they are no longer needed before 7am,because of new heat map,and are all now in consultation for changes of hours,night manager is furious as it means nights will now have to check off bread/milk ect

???

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #4322 on: 19-05-19, 09:10AM »
How long does it take to check off bread and milk? I really don't know and I'm asking a question. Saving hours is the thing and is it good value for money to pay a warehouse colleague two hours pay for this task and are they needed more at another time of day?  Size of store is the thing too. Deliveries pop up at all different times of day, big and small but the back door is not manned 24 hours a day. So this is a question, are the warehouse colleagues in during milk and bread delivery times but finished for when the grocery delivery comes in.  My store is in a residential area and we can't take deliveries before 7am anyway, of anything, milk and bread included. Bread used to be left at front door before the store was open but is now coming through the back door, interesting.

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4323 on: 19-05-19, 09:39AM »
When i was backdoor man on nights i checked all the direct deliveries in as well as clearing the floor and maybe filling an aisle. You can check bread in a matter of minutes as well as milk it's just a case of dragging it to the chiller which was usually over twenty dollies on a Thursday & Friday.

But some stores operate differently.

Has This Been Briefed Out??

Duff McKagan

« Reply #4324 on: 19-05-19, 10:53AM »
In our store we don’t have a night backdoor man and never have. The produce and dairy team are expected to unload and reload lorries (3 fresh deliveries a night in busy periods) and are still expected to fill the milk then work backstock and delivery on multiple aisles each by 7am.. One of the managers usually unloads the milk and bread deliveries, and depending on what company it is decides how long it takes...I.e Warburtons always takes longer to scan in than hovis.