Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-11-19, 06:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62503
  • Total Topics: 1104
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 117
Total: 121

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes  (Read 871666 times)

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
Re: 2019 Structure Changes
« Reply #4275 on: 14-05-19, 09:05PM »
That will cost a fortune I know at lest 20 bakers done 30 plus years

T2019sackallmanagers

« Reply #4276 on: 14-05-19, 09:14PM »
Redundancy pay is capped at 20 years ao i doubt it'll be much cost to them.
Tesco and it's cronies are still on a massive cull so watch this space. More years of cuts and redundancies too come people. Get out now!

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #4277 on: 14-05-19, 09:18PM »
T2019. No scaremongering please. It's not big & it's not clever.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4278 on: 14-05-19, 09:24PM »
Considering the amount of re-structuring that has taken place recently, I would not advise anybody to get to 'comfortable' in their present employment.

Agreed. All our coats are on a shoggly peg. I had to point that out to my manager, who seems to be in denial about the whole situation. He thinks that now that counters and rest bite have been closed down, everything will go back to, "normal".

To quote a man who, unlike senior management, did understand a thing or two about leadership,

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it may be the end of the beginning".

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4279 on: 14-05-19, 10:26PM »
Well DL said he has 5 yr plan. 5th year will be next year.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4280 on: 14-05-19, 10:42PM »
Considering the amount of re-structuring that has taken place recently, I would not advise anybody to get to 'comfortable' in their present employment.

Agreed. All our coats are on a shoggly peg. I had to point that out to my manager, who seems to be in denial about the whole situation. He thinks that now that counters and rest bite have been closed down, everything will go back to, "normal".

To quote a man who, unlike senior management, did understand a thing or two about leadership,

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it may be the end of the beginning".

There are factors that need to be considered, DL can't streamline express anymore except by the potential move of increasing the responsibility of SMs by having them cover multiple stores (I think it's a bad idea but it would save money at the cost of lower motivated staff and lower quality service and presentation). I personally think next logical step would be looking at underperforming Metro formats and closing them down, my nearest Metro takes between 200-250k a week (You have express stores with 5 x less staff which take 100k a week less) and streamlining them as they are the most bloated in terms of resources. Superstores have plenty of room for streamlining, an observation I'd make is that some of the roles  that come with the title "manager" can be done by shift leaders.

One factor that works in our favour is the logic that the more DL strips away, the worse service will become and the less we can offer. This logic doesn't apply to loss making parts of the business but there aren't many of those left, plus DL knows the importance of the loss leader strategy.

The one factor that draws ever closer which will result in the redundancy of everyone is technology, it is fast advancing and will make us obsolete.

« Last Edit: 14-05-19, 10:44PM by NightAndDay »

Wandy

« Reply #4281 on: 15-05-19, 05:58AM »
It’s time everyone wised up the only profit made is purely on getting rid of staff, period.  Lewis is doing irreparable damage and the union should hang their heads in shame bunch of useless (yeah we agree to that) at the expense of real people and that's another constant.  We will see what the loss of hours looks like tomorrow when it all kicks off.  Harsh nope, sick of people trying to do their best and being shafted for it.

Agree 100% with the above. With the 5 year plan coming to an end next yet (DL words not mine!) where in earth is going to be hit next?

tick tock

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4282 on: 15-05-19, 08:00AM »
It’s time everyone wised up the only profit made is purely on getting rid of staff, period.  Lewis is doing irreparable damage and the union should hang their heads in shame bunch of useless (yeah we agree to that) at the expense of real people and that's another constant.  We will see what the loss of hours looks like tomorrow when it all kicks off.  Harsh nope, sick of people trying to do their best and being shafted for it.

Agree 100% with the above. With the 5 year plan coming to an end next yet (DL words not mine!) where in earth is going to be hit next?
DL would have done all the damage he could and than make himself redundant.
Wouldn't that be a lovely redundancy package.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #4283 on: 15-05-19, 08:34AM »
Shift Leaders in Express are alot more hard working than Team Managers in Extras.

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #4284 on: 15-05-19, 08:39AM »
I honestly believe the next round of redundancies will be on the departments next across all stores with the most full timers, irrelevantly of whether or not its right for the customer.

There seems an undertone of getting all the full timers out and off the premises...

Whether Drastic has sat there in the past and looked at the figures and percentages in stores of the full time allocation across all the stores and then decided what departments will go, only a few will ever know.....

blablabla

« Reply #4285 on: 15-05-19, 09:44AM »
More self scan and scan as you shop in larger formats will get rid of plenty of checkout staff.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4286 on: 15-05-19, 10:52AM »
Redundancy pay is capped at 20 years although I doubt it'll be much cost to them.
Tesco and it's cronies are still on a massive cull so watch this space. More years of cuts and redundancies too come people. Get out now!

I'd love to go now but not walking out with nothing!!!

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #4287 on: 15-05-19, 11:45AM »
Looked on Tesco careers last week & within a 50 mile radius of my store there were 502 positions listed, 3 of which were full time.

Fair play

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #4288 on: 15-05-19, 12:35PM »
Redundancy pay is capped at 20 years although I doubt it'll be much cost to them.

I'd love to go now but not walking out with nothing!!!
I’ve been made redundant this time around and redundancy is capped at 25years .
My opinion I think counters will close completely this time next year .
One full timer was kept, which really surprised me but very friendly with top management. It did not go down well with other members of staff 🤷???

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4289 on: 15-05-19, 02:28PM »
I honestly believe the next round of redundancies will be on the departments next across all stores with the most full timers, irrelevantly of whether or not its right for the customer.

There seems an undertone of getting all the full timers out and off the premises...

Whether Drastic has sat there in the past and looked at the figures and percentages in stores of the full time allocation across all the stores and then decided what departments will go, only a few will ever know.....
Then nights would have to go. We have 8 full timers on nights in our store. Not many more on days. Lack of full time workers is forcing people to fill different aisle every day. I do 20 nights and I am filling at least different aisles in that period. I am fed up and burned out and without will to work. Sometimes I spend 2 hours finishing one cage on some aisle and facing up, that is it.  Other guy is so fed up that he can spend 2.5h filling one cage of cakes plus capping shelves.
Low morale is not good for a business.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #4290 on: 15-05-19, 03:05PM »
The SM in my store is not interested in having anyone on contracts over 30 hours.  A few people who work 1/2/3 days have asked for 4/5 shifts and have been told they'll have to find another store or a job as a shift leader in a corner shop. It doesn't help moral when the same people are finished aisles early an others are stuck lifting Produce, Drinks or BWS all shift. It is the same people doing the light areas pacing out delivery and taking hours on a face up. Best thing they could do now is team fill every aisle with at least one manager on the shop floor at all times to help out.

PS I can't even fill my capping shelf because it's f***ed. Don't worry though Dave still managed to swindle get 4.6million.
« Last Edit: 15-05-19, 04:54PM by Nomad »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4291 on: 15-05-19, 05:45PM »

There are factors that need to be considered, DL can't streamline express anymore except by the potential move of increasing the responsibility of SMs by having them cover multiple stores (I think it's a bad idea but it would save money at the cost of lower motivated staff and lower quality service and presentation). I personally think next logical step would be looking at underperforming Metro formats and closing them down, my nearest Metro takes between 200-250k a week (You have express stores with 5 x less staff which take 100k a week less) and streamlining them as they are the most bloated in terms of resources. Superstores have plenty of room for streamlining, an observation I'd make is that some of the roles  that come with the title "manager" can be done by shift leaders.

One factor that works in our favour is the logic that the more DL strips away, the worse service will become and the less we can offer. This logic doesn't apply to loss making parts of the business but there aren't many of those left, plus DL knows the importance of the loss leader strategy.

The one factor that draws ever closer which will result in the redundancy of everyone is technology, it is fast advancing and will make us obsolete.

S.M having two shops in express is already underway, in selected areas one S.m runs two cat a stores, meant to spend half the working day in each store, but does not usually work out that way. Just my own opinion but it would not at all shock me if the dual site role becomes more widespread in express over the coming years.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

jeff2102

« Reply #4292 on: 15-05-19, 06:16PM »
Looked on Tesco careers last week & within a 50 mile radius of my store there were 502 positions listed, 3 of which were full time.

It almost look like discrimination of an individual who wants to work full time.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4293 on: 15-05-19, 07:51PM »

S.M having two shops in express is already underway, in selected areas one S.m runs two cat a stores, meant to spend half the working day in each store, but does not usually work out that way. Just my own opinion but it would not at all shock me if the dual site role becomes more widespread in express over the coming years.

I know this is done in some areas. But as far as i'm aware as a temporary measure until an SM is hired at either store. What I meant is it being recognised as a seperate job role, I can see the SM Position in Express being made redundant and replaced with cluster manager which has a 5-10k a year salary increase for the extra responsibility, this would also imply that the shift leader role would need rebranding to something with manager in the title due to the lack of SM presence, which would also be commensurate with a salary (team manager would be a logical rebranding).

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4294 on: 15-05-19, 08:11PM »
No it is a job role title is "dual store or dual site manager" and has been in place since 2016. This is an official Tesco job role, not a local thing and was signed off at head office level prior to being rolled out to the selected shops.
« Last Edit: 15-05-19, 08:14PM by penguin »
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Dougall

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4295 on: 15-05-19, 08:40PM »
Rebranding shift leader to manager would cost money and would be a backward step towards deputies which were removed.

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #4296 on: 15-05-19, 09:02PM »
Would love to know what might be in store for us next in the way of cuts. Could do with m360 popping his head up :)

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4297 on: 15-05-19, 09:04PM »
Rebranding shift leader to manager would cost money and would be a backward step towards deputies which were removed.

They would have to do it due to the increased responsibility, with the diminished presence of a store manager (due to them managing other stores) it leaves more to be done, another reason is that they have to be competitive, Sainsbury's shift leader equivalent are managers and they're paid the same as low end Team managers at superstore anf this is with a full time SM present, this also needs to be differentiated from the whole Deputy SM to Shift leader situation as the circumstances are different, for one the DM role existed when there was a full time SM and Team Leaders present, now there would only be a part time SM and a bunch of ca's.
« Last Edit: 15-05-19, 09:08PM by NightAndDay »

Nightworker23

« Reply #4298 on: 15-05-19, 09:20PM »
They wouldn't have to do anything. There's plenty of keen youngsters who'll be tempted by the dangling carrot and willing to step up and put in the extra hours for free. Tesc know this all too well!

Dougall

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4299 on: 15-05-19, 09:30PM »
Yes, and I’m saying that why would they do that after only getting rid of deputies 3 years ago, if that was the case they should’ve kept deputies and dual sited every store. Convenience is not consistent not all stores or areas are the same
They would have to do it due to the increased responsibility, with the diminished presence of a store manager (due to them managing other stores) it leaves more to be done, another reason is that they have to be competitive, Sainsbury's shift leader equivalent are managers and they're paid the same as low end Team managers at superstore anf this is with a full time SM present, this also needs to be differentiated from the whole Deputy SM to Shift leader situation as the circumstances are different, for one the DM role existed when there was a full time SM and Team Leaders present, now there would only be a part time SM and a bunch of ca's.