Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
26-08-19, 06:59AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8304
  • Latest: baldy69
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59996
  • Total Topics: 1063
  • Online Today: 121
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 97
Total: 98

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes  (Read 822504 times)

Walker

• Know All
Re: 2019 Structure Changes
« Reply #1950 on: 13-02-19, 07:22PM »
My old store only did high-low and gap scans. It didn't work, not even in a small shop. Always getting the wrong stock...

emma070706

« Reply #1951 on: 13-02-19, 07:29PM »
A lot of information discussed around stock control. It's safe to say that when the trial that is in question (the trial that is not a trial because it will lauch regardless, that decision has already been made), of :

No LSI
Instant Gap reset of first scan
No full counts right across the board
No SRM
and only OSI on delivery overs.

In these circumstances as a GM stock manager then that is going to be a minimum of 50% cut in hours and head count.

Put that same light on food stock control as well and we are going to see a substantial amount of job losses. We are a store losing our entire counters, so we now have a scenario were all counters staff and 50% of our stock control face redundancy. or do they? lots of unknown. Those with 2 stock managers I think there will be a saving made there.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1952 on: 13-02-19, 07:31PM »
I remember the days when I was a stock controller where we had to count the whole warehouse and shop floor every morning then there was only me and the stock control manager he counted the shop floor and I counted the warehouse  then downloaded them all by 11.am and we started at 5 am that’s when you had job 1 and job 3 and you could adjust shelf capacities using job 4.No need for mismatches then just accurate counts .

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #1953 on: 13-02-19, 07:43PM »
No, I’ve made sure all my team have completed, and I’ve got as many of the store to complete also.  To be honest, there has been no hiding from it at our shop, the management team are old school, so these changes that have been brought in over the Drastic Years, have been well voiced in WMTY, and we continue to feedback via this method

Shame on the SM that decide to pull the survey due to these changes, obviously their integrity is not important to them!

WMTY is a complete and utter waste of time anyway. Just another box-ticking exercise thought up by some head office REMF to justify their non-job.

I just treat it as an extra 10 minute break. ;)

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #1954 on: 13-02-19, 07:57PM »
Any1 else’s store completely “forget” about the WMTY? Lol hasn’t even been mentioned in our store and it finishes today. Prob scared of the results it would throw up.
not mentioned in our store either, well not to night crew anyway!

Cuddlypup

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1955 on: 13-02-19, 08:02PM »
Colliedog, my friend has heard nothing since, she’s thinking of using the email address supplied to ask what’s going on. Our store have been told canteen goes in week 10 and they are having new hot and cold water machines but nothing else.

Colliedog

« Reply #1956 on: 13-02-19, 08:12PM »
Thanks Cuddlypup...

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1957 on: 13-02-19, 08:17PM »
I have friends who work in the staff canteen, so I'll be sorry to see them close. But it was only a matter of time before this happened. Tesco is only legally required to provide staff with a microwave and a place to actually eat their meals. Staff canteens were an easy target.

Somehow, I don't see Lewis or the rest of the board eating microwave burgers at head office... 8-)

You can access the head office menu for the week....unbelievable .....no spread of beige for them :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

AnybodysGuess

• Know All
« Reply #1958 on: 13-02-19, 08:44PM »
Any1 other stock control managers on here have any ideas on how stock controls hours will be distributed? All 3 departments rolled into one and the criteria sorted against each staff member or just cut fresh by watever hrs, grocery and non food the same??

Pikachu

« Reply #1959 on: 13-02-19, 09:17PM »
Any1 other stock control managers on here have any ideas on how stock controls hours will be distributed? All 3 departments rolled into one and the criteria sorted against each staff member or just cut fresh by watever hrs, grocery and non food the same??

Im just a general SC member, not a manager, however looking at it is seems the bulk of the hours lost with stock control will be from the over stock investigation. In my store we have 3 full timers doing the ambient and non food side of this Mon-Fri. On the fresh side, we seem to get it done between other jobs between the evening staff (with quite a lot of our stock investigation for the week being boxed off on a Sunday).

I assume we will all be rolled into one from week 4 however my current understanding is that those members of staff that currently do the jobs that are still needing to be done (PR scans, daily counts, Date coding, Gaps) would potentially be slightly ahead of those that have been doing the things like OSI due to having more "active" job skills in those areas, assuming that their current performance is good.

Its no given but on a personal POV, I know my PR scans are the highest, score wise, out of everyone else in the department. I also do two of the five fresh gap scans that get done in our store during the week. If it came down to interviewing for any new role or matching for best skills I would be promoting both those facts in my favour. I would hope the fact that I currently do those jobs would push me to be seen as a more suitable candidate than a fellow stock controller who works during the morning doing OSI.

I said it in a past thread but I would suggest to anyone who gets asked to fill in an availability sheet to do so if you wish to improve your chances of getting a job. My intention is to pretty much mark every hour as available (bar the one and a half days I can not work due to other commitments). I don't really want to start at 5AM in the morning, however I'd do it if the other option was not having a job. On the flip, if you want to improve your chance of redundancy then giving very limited availability or refusing to do a new sheet may be better for you.

What I did hear from a couple of staff following the Monday meeting was that some didn't (or couldn't due to cost) want to lose hours, however at the same time are saying they would not work past X time.... I get why you wouldn't want to get unsociable hours etc, but again, consider if its better than no job.

As general staff here we are getting shafted. I don't think any of us have been treated nicely or with respect in this. However, ultimately I still want my job so as much as I'm not happy with whats going on and feel I shouldn't have to do certain things (like agreeing to work a shift I don't want, filling in forms or going to meetings on my days off), if this is what I have to do to give myself the best possible chance of keeping it I am going to do it.

If at the end of the day I get made redundant then at least I can say I went down fighting and gave myself the best possible chance to avoid the axe. In the meantime I am now actively looking for work elsewhere and will be looking to depart the company the second I can get a secure permanent job elsewhere. No point however in giving up on keeping this one until I have something else lined up however as I don't wish to be unemployed.

maisie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #1960 on: 13-02-19, 09:36PM »
Cupcake we are with servest.

Lunamoonhare

« Reply #1961 on: 13-02-19, 09:42PM »
Do we think that individuals stats eg percentages on PR scan will be taken into account for who is kept on?

I know my figures are good, but Im not available 24 hours a day like the younger guys new to the department are.

I’ve had managers begging me and other stockies to do PR on their department rather than the youngsters as they just don’t care and miss loads.

If they stay and are doing gaps...god help the store. It will be a shambles.

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #1962 on: 13-02-19, 09:48PM »
I am sure performance reviews, warnings/disciplinary and length of service will be part of the criteria.

Cuddlypup

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1963 on: 13-02-19, 10:01PM »
Maisie, at your one to one did they not give you your redundancy calculation? Our store manager seemed sure the tupe Staff will get the Tesco payment and some staff have spoken to the union and had it confirmed.

Pikachu

« Reply #1964 on: 13-02-19, 10:08PM »
Do we think that individuals stats eg percentages on PR scan will be taken into account for who is kept on?

I know my figures are good, but Im not available 24 hours a day like the younger guys new to the department are.

I’ve had managers begging me and other stockies to do PR on their department rather than the youngsters as they just don’t care and miss loads.

If they stay and are doing gaps...god help the store. It will be a shambles.

Nothing is set in stone, however my view is it can't hurt you if your figures are good. Like yourself, the department managers prefer (or say so to me) to have me do their scan than the others and I know if it came down to being interviewed for any job I would promote the fact that my scores show I deliver the standard the company wants.

To me this is what I would assume is "job skills". I can point to 20+ years experience at the company, 15 of which is on stock control, 10 of those doing PR scans. I would be selling myself to my manager in interview saying "You know what you get with me, you know my time keeping is good, you know my performance is good, you know I know how to do the job, you know I know how to deal with potential issues (For example if you have 300 sacks of potatoes going out of date the day after tomorrow, I would put half on the PR scan and feed that back to the Produce dept so they could reduce some early the next day if they deem right - others doing the PR scan don't care or think to do this) and you know I am more than flexible to cover others shifts or change mine when needed"

I would hope that the above there, along with good availability - I'd pretty much move my shifts to whatever - would push me towards the top of the list. We have 4 long serving members on our stock team, however the other 3 all do the OSI side of things in the morning, whilst I do the late PR/Gaps side. I have no doubt in the ability of the other 3 on my department to be able to also deliver a good job if they were to then do the PR and Gaps, however the fact that I actively do those roles now and do them well would hopefully put me in a slightly more favourable position.

As to availability - the better yours is, in my opinion, the better your chances, but I'd also weigh it in with circumstance and time at the company. For example, would the management look at someone who has worked for the company for 10 years, is in their mid 40's, no longer in education or development for a job outside of the company as a better fit for them than an 18 year old at Uni who has worked for the company for a year and is planning to go to Uni in the summer. On a personal POV, I'd rather keep the 10 yr serving member of staff as the 18 yr old will soon be departing anyway and has more chance of securing employment elsewhere - plus any potential redundancy would be a lot less.  Like you hinted above, the younger ones at times just see this job as a stepping stone whilst in education and some don't show the same care if something isn't done right (Note, I appreciate not all of young staff fit this). We also don't know if job hours may change so in some stores PR's may go to morning routines etc.. in which case any students may see themselves unavailable for selection due to education....

The way I see it, it doesn't hurt to try sell yourself in the best possible light here if you want to keep your hours and job. If you have experience in the role, use that to your advantage when having one to ones and in any interviews to show what you know. Little things like being able to deal with the reps, being able to map shelves, being able to do customer orders, being able to schedule counts, or lead a team (Im the same rank as everyone on a Sunday but have defacto A for the department as in the younger staff come to me with issues/problems etc...)... all these things can do is strengthen your case as to why you are a valuable asset that the company would wish to keep.

Lunamoonhare

« Reply #1965 on: 13-02-19, 10:18PM »
Thanks Pikachu...

We were initially told interviews would be held but now its a case of availability matching up against hours on the heat map and the mystery criteria to determine who gets a position.

I’d love the opportunity to sell myself at interview but fear I won’t get the chance.

Pikachu

« Reply #1966 on: 13-02-19, 10:23PM »
My understanding is if there are plenty of good candidates all open to work the shifts required it could well go down to interviews. The heat map will show availability and if only one person shows they are available for that shift then more than likely they will get it.

Say for example I put down I could work until 10PM on a Monday, and only one other person also said that in our store. It is then decided we need two members of staff to do a scan on a Monday night. Well, chances are me and that other person would be offered that. On the flip 5 people can work until 10PM on the Tuesday. Theres only two jobs on offer - it may then be down to interviewing those 5 to see which two are better suited etc...

Sadly it looks like we are going to lose hours and jobs in the department, so if everyone currently wants to keep theirs then some of the new roles will have more than one person going for them. Best fit may see some jobs go to some, however I would expect for a fair process that most, if not all people, will be asked for an interview to help in the process.
« Last Edit: 13-02-19, 10:26PM by Pikachu »

Munchkin

« Reply #1967 on: 13-02-19, 10:34PM »
If someone works for example on stock control evenings doing job14 and that role still continues under the new structure they cannot be made redundant and that role given to someone who currently does os investigations on another shift the fact you all work under the heading of stock control is not the relevant factor its about the role you currently
 perform and if that remains even in a slightly altered form your job is not at risk of redundancy in the same way if you work on counters and only work on the days your stores counters are going to open under the new structure you will not be an option for redundancy

Jane doe

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #1968 on: 13-02-19, 11:44PM »
Thank you for the info you have just given,
Regarding j-14 .
You've answered nearly my questions in this
Post snd it's much appreciated !🙏

pete6872

« Reply #1969 on: 14-02-19, 06:11AM »
I think this is no more than a cull on full time workers
It may not be and I hope it's not for everone that's involved  in this round of cuts
But if you look at sc what is left to do
No full counts big part of the job on fresh
So let say Tesco cut hours by 45% or even 30%
I cant see any full time hours giving out
As Tesco can take on 2 part time staff and have cover when one is off
If a full time job is to be giving out that is most of the hour left after the cut in hours are gone

« Reply #1970 on: 14-02-19, 07:39AM »
Our place is a tip staff keep leaving, no overtime unless sick calls and a recruitment freeze. SM nowhere to be seen and TM filling all shift and still handing over delivery to get it back next shift. No holiday cover on aisles either so when you return after a few days the place is a bin.

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #1971 on: 14-02-19, 09:33AM »
Don’t know if this has been posted before, sorry if it has been.

It’s taken from Moving Hours Policy.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #1972 on: 14-02-19, 09:53AM »
DJL - any idea how you validate training on departments like stock control where bronze/silver is no longer used?

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #1973 on: 14-02-19, 10:08AM »
It will be whatever you are trained to do within current role, as well as what areas you are multi skilled in.  So are you signed off on all e-learning modules, as well as the old KYS frameworks

Shafted

• Know All
« Reply #1974 on: 14-02-19, 10:17AM »
Global Moderator Comment See earlier post. Reply #1979.