Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 12:28AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60799
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 110
Total: 115

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes  (Read 836012 times)

Call me

• Know All
Re: 2019 Structure Changes
« Reply #4350 on: 23-05-19, 10:03AM »
We now tell our new starters , that the new look canteen is the room we go to , to cry in 

rogerthedodger

« Reply #4351 on: 23-05-19, 10:11AM »
You would imagine somebody would make the decision based on the limited facilities now available to reduce break times from the current 1hr 30 to a standard 30 Minute break for all colleagues managers and team supports.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4352 on: 23-05-19, 11:12AM »
Shift leaders only get paid breaks if no other shift runner or sm in during the duration of the shift leaders shift, one of the current checks the area team do on visits is review the shift leader rota to ensure SL paid breaks are kept to a minimum.

Yes, the area team try to make sure that shift leader paid breaks are kept to a minimum, but in busy expresses, that simply isn't possible, in my store the shift leaders get paid their breaks at least 4 out of 5 days in the week. This is due to resourcing issues.

How do they do that? By that i mean who decides for them if they do or dont get paid for a particular break? Seems a bit weird to me.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4353 on: 23-05-19, 12:25PM »
The rule is, if there are no step ups, other shift leaders or an SM in the shop or there are for less than 3 hours of the shift leaders shift. They get it paid.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4354 on: 23-05-19, 12:28PM »
SM is meant to ensure paid breaks are kept to a minimum but with holidays and sickness not to mention how few step ups are around and it’s not that easy.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4355 on: 23-05-19, 03:35PM »
You would imagine somebody would make the decision based on the limited facilities now available to reduce break times from the current 1hr 30 to a standard 30 Minute break for all colleagues managers and team supports.

Personally 30 mins is ample considering we don't get paid for them.......breaks feel more like a punishment now anyway the sooner shift is over and out the better.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4356 on: 23-05-19, 04:45PM »
If you look at it logically, 4 hours-5 hours 59 mins gets you a 15 min break.
6 hours - 7 hours 59 mins gets you a 30 minute break, 8 hours - 8 hours 59 minutes gets you a 45 minute break, then arbitrarily, 9 hour + shifts get you a 1.5 hour break.

It should be obvious that whoever decided this knew that it would mostly apply to shift leaders and they know that they can't take a 1.5 hour break unless they're in a cat 1 store. Other retailers such as Sainsburies give a 1 hour unpaid break for 9 hour shifts, Tescos approach is an underhand cost cutting exercise.

« Last Edit: 23-05-19, 04:47PM by NightAndDay »

uselessga

« Reply #4357 on: 23-05-19, 04:54PM »
The amount of break you have was always about having people in the building for longer without paying more, my new job I get 3 x 30 minute breaks for a 12 hour shift which is plenty to have a rest, food and drink....

Only 7 more days until we actually find out what our actual redundancy pay is.... Can't believe they couldn't tell us before we left the company!  8-)

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4358 on: 23-05-19, 06:45PM »
6 hours - 7 hours 59 mins gets you a 30 minute break, 8 hours - 8 hours 59 minutes gets you a 45 minute break, then arbitrarily, 9 hour + shifts get you a 1.5 hour break.

It should be obvious that whoever decided this knew that it would mostly apply to shift leaders and they know that they can't take a 1.5 hour break unless they're in a cat 1 store. Other retailers such as Sainsburies give a 1 hour unpaid break for 9 hour shifts, Tescos approach is an underhand cost cutting exercise.

a 6 hour shift (for the sake of 1 minute it can be argued that it is in fact a 6 hour shift) employment law gives you a 20 min break.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4359 on: 23-05-19, 06:50PM »
Tesco is at least compliant with that, in that they give a 30 minute break for a 6 hour shift, as for the 59 minute limiters, it may as well be ignored as Tesco only does shifts at either the whole hour or half an hour.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4360 on: 24-05-19, 02:25AM »
The amount of break you have was always about having people in the building for longer without paying more, my new job I get 3 x 30 minute breaks for a 12 hour shift which is plenty to have a rest, food and drink....

Only 7 more days until we actually find out what our actual redundancy pay is.... Can't believe they couldn't tell us before we left the company!  8-)
p**s up....brewery  >:( more time to rip you off???

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4361 on: 24-05-19, 07:25AM »

These breaks have been as set for over the last 20years that I know of...when the majority of staff worked full time, and the breaks were scattered over three sittings to accommodate the hour meal break, when the canteen was full of people having their cooked from scratch, heavily subsidised lunch.

It really should be looked at again, especially as now the canteen facilities are no longer there. All the "benefits" that seem to keep being mentioned in every pay deal, just no longer exist. They no longer provide free newspapers, the vends are no longer filled with subsidised sandwiches, the contents being replaced with single confectionery packs which can't legally be sold for less.

The vastly reduced shopfloor staff, are no longer there to "serve the customer" if they are having to take an hour lunch break. A fair few of the full timers ( pre cull ) negotiated with their managers to drop an hour from their contracted day, and just take a thirty minute break, which most of the common sense managers agreed to, as it enabled the team to finish their routines within the window, and the staff didn't lose any money or hours, and got to go home earlier, or come in later.  :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Rednose

« Reply #4362 on: 24-05-19, 07:33AM »
Any idea why manager moves have been put on hold until September!

auld reekie

« Reply #4363 on: 24-05-19, 08:23AM »

These breaks have been as set for over the last 20years that I know of...when the majority of staff worked full time, and the breaks were scattered over three sittings to accommodate the hour meal break, when the canteen was full of people having their cooked from scratch, heavily subsidised lunch.

It really should be looked at again, especially as now the canteen facilities are no longer there. All the "benefits" that seem to keep being mentioned in every pay deal, just no longer exist. They no longer provide free newspapers, the vends are no longer filled with subsidised sandwiches, the contents being replaced with single confectionery packs which can't legally be sold for less.

The vastly reduced shopfloor staff, are no longer there to "serve the customer" if they are having to take an hour lunch break. A fair few of the full timers ( pre cull ) negotiated with their managers to drop an hour from their contracted day, and just take a thirty minute break, which most of the common sense managers agreed to, as it enabled the team to finish their routines within the window, and the staff didn't lose any money or hours, and got to go home earlier, or come in later.  :thumbup:
Excellent post.

rogerthedodger

« Reply #4364 on: 24-05-19, 09:34AM »
Fantastic post hopefully somebody in power is listening would certainly be a bit of a moral boost for all.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4365 on: 24-05-19, 09:35AM »

Going back 25+ year we did have a canteen that served fresh meal for bargain prices and we did have full time colleagues but full time contracts have never been easy to come by. Bakers tended to be full time and then there was one or two in depts but the vast majority of colleagues have always been part time. I have friends with 40 years service so can go back a long way. I'm full time myself but I have worked long and hard to get the hours. I did not join on FT and I have taken on bad roles with awful hours to up my hours. I worked evenings and weekends as at that time that's what parents of small children did. I still work evenings and weekends as it seem that now parents of small children want days. I prefer working weekends, I love the buzz of a busy store and quiet days off where I can make appointments or go into town.
I'm just saying that FT has always been hard to come by. The stance used to be that we had a few FT in for continuity. These people trained new, they were more committed to job as if things not resolved today they would come back into problem tomorrow. They stayed with company but often moved round depts so had broad understanding of store, could and did support other areas to cover sick etc. I have seen all FT having to work wknds but then all not due to the Saturday premium but that did not last long and changed back to having to work wknds. Since that time it has been an unwritten rule that if you worked FT you worked Saturday's. It as part of the price you paid for getting the hours. I have seen less and less getting FT over the years but it has never been in abundance, in my experience.
Managers moved too, they never stayed in job role for more than about two years with the exception of checkouts, they tended not to move.
I have worked in five stores but I can only talk to my experience in one store all those years ago. Each store has its own ways and follows policy in its own way, and then things change too.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4366 on: 24-05-19, 10:17AM »
Any idea why manager moves have been put on hold until September!

What manager roles hun???  I'm unaware of any manager moves

express whizz kid

« Reply #4367 on: 24-05-19, 10:40AM »
I'm currently on my team manager placement and my sign off is within the next few days, I've successfully passed an interview for a team manager role in another store however now I'm being told potentially I could be still in this role for at least another 10 weeks even if I pass my sign on.

Has anybody got any idea's what's actually going off?

rogerthedodger

« Reply #4368 on: 24-05-19, 11:03AM »
All gone very quiet regarding Manager structure changes, I would imagine something has to happen

dilligaf293

« Reply #4369 on: 24-05-19, 11:51AM »
How does the Payment protection work?  I have no clue how it is worked out !!

TrolleyDolly78

« Reply #4370 on: 24-05-19, 12:14PM »
With regards to breaks, can they get you to increase your break allowance with no increase in hours? Asking because one of my friends is going through RHRP, they are asking her to start her shift half an hour later (not a problem) but finish 1 hour later, no increase in pay etc they just want her to increase her break from 30mins to 60, are Tesco allowed to do this and is my friend able to fight it in any way please.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4371 on: 24-05-19, 01:49PM »
mmmm... i was gonna say ask the union but.......... :-X (-*-)

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4372 on: 24-05-19, 01:55PM »
I'm currently on my team manager placement and my sign off is within the next few days, I've successfully passed an interview for a team manager role in another store however now I'm being told potentially I could be still in this role for at least another 10 weeks even if I pass my sign on.

If you pass sign off and there is a structure change an existing manager who is being displaced takes higher priority. An options candidate that has been signed off is second. Then an existing manager who wants a job role change is third.
Jobs are still being advertised but rumors of manager changes have been looming for a long time.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4373 on: 24-05-19, 02:07PM »
With regards to breaks, can they get you to increase your break allowance with no increase in hours? Asking because one of my friends is going through RHRP, they are asking her to start her shift half an hour later (not a problem) but finish 1 hour later, no increase in pay etc they just want her to increase her break from 30mins to 60, are Tesco allowed to do this and is my friend able to fight it in any way please.

They have recently changed the policy on breaks, before 1 hour breaks weren't a thing, but according to policy they are allowed to do that, that doesn't mean your friend doesn't have other options though, she can say to the SM that she doesn't like this change as it affects her work life balance or some other reason, if resolution can't be obtained by diplomatic measures, transferring to another store or requesting a reduction in hours are also viable measures.

They recently tried to make me take 30 minute breaks (as the new policy gives a break range of 30 minutes to an hour now I believe for shifts between 8 and 9 hours), however because my contract hasn't changed I take 45 minutes.
« Last Edit: 24-05-19, 02:09PM by NightAndDay »

express whizz kid

« Reply #4374 on: 24-05-19, 02:22PM »

If you pass sign off and there is a structure change an existing manager who is being displaced takes higher priority. An options candidate that has been signed off is second. Then an existing manager who wants a job role change is third.
Jobs are still being advertised but rumors of manager changes have been looming for a long time.

Yes I know the process already, however was seeking a little clarity on my position and if anyone knew what potentially the new structure could look like, also letting people know the possible timescales as to when changes could happen.

Thanks for your reply.