Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-12-18, 10:24PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81726
  • Total Topics: 1708
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Food  (Read 4528 times)

Malridge

Re: Food
« Reply #25 on: 05-12-18, 10:47AM »
If anyone can find, in writing that they supply free tea and coffee, then it becomes a legal entitlement by way of custom and practice!

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #26 on: 05-12-18, 04:16PM »
Not self entitled at all. We are discussing the unjustified removal of what was a long standing benefit to employees from a company which prides itself as a great employer.

The only time I have ever seen the canteen and food written down as some kind of benefit is when you start and they tell you about the subsidised canteen which not all Tescos have and the free tea and coffee which they all still have.

If you got more than that at your store great but its not universal and certainly not a benefit thats available for the whole work force.

Like I said why do you think you are entitled to free food?

BlueBoo

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #27 on: 06-12-18, 11:22PM »
we only get free tea, coffee & toast & sometimes a buffet to celebrate what ever it is we are celebrating at the time.

they did start charging for toast (10p a slice) but the money kept getting stolen so they gave up  ;D

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #28 on: 07-12-18, 08:51AM »
Anything not chained down gets stolen from our canteen, cutlery, mugs, plates, salt/pepper etc

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #29 on: 07-12-18, 04:43PM »
If anyone can find, in writing that they supply free tea and coffee, then it becomes a legal entitlement by way of custom and practice!

lol no it doesnt.

Malridge

« Reply #30 on: 07-12-18, 05:31PM »
Hi forrestgimp
Hmm! Why not Pray tell?

marnie

« Reply #31 on: 07-12-18, 06:31PM »
I unfortunately tupe in 2017 expecting redundancy this year when they cut evening service my store should be run on chef manager only but I was to expensive to make redundant but its gotta come

Cuddlypup

« Reply #32 on: 07-12-18, 09:32PM »
Marnie, same in our store, of the four tupe Staff who transferred over two have now left, the other two have had their hours changed several times and cut so when redundancies do happen (it’s going to close, it’s just when) they have already saved over 50 percent. Tesco stopped being interested in the welfare of their staff a long time ago.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #33 on: 08-12-18, 12:39PM »
Good grief I wish I hadn't asked now.  As regards to us having fridges, we have one small fridge and to be honest there's plenty of thieves about so I wouldn't put anything in there.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #34 on: 08-12-18, 04:24PM »
Hi forrestgimp
Hmm! Why not Pray tell?

Well its more incumbent on you to explain why it is, however.....

What follows is a useful list of pointers in establishing custom and practise has been created.

• Any custom and practice must be established and long-standing and followed by the parties over a long period of time.  If the custom and practice has been carried out only on a temporary basis then any employment tribunal claim is likely to be defeated.
  • The custom and practice needs to have been continuously applied on every occasion that it has arisen and above all it must be reasonable.
  • The custom and practice must also be certain and followed over a period of time, with very few if any exceptions.
  • The custom and practice must be known to the parties and communicated usually verbally or by carrying out the practice on each and every occasion with an expectation that it will be implemented.

Now I would assume that tesco would argue that any store that gave free food to its workforce did so on its own without input from head office, I would also say not all Tesco stores have done this (mine certainly hasn't)  so they would be forced to implement it company wide should they accept your assertion of custom and practice.

So I dont think it has legs to be honest. I could be wrong I know custom and practise has been used in the past one such case was the payment of the 15 mins owed to the company when you worked full time and got a bank holiday shift off under the old 1/5 of your working week constitutes your bank holiday entitlement. The holiday pack that was sent down always included in big bold letters that if it has been custom and practise in your store to not force employees to repay the 15 mins they didnt have to I think the cut off for that that IIRC was 2001 so if you were employed after that you had to pay it back regardless. All that changed when the bank holiday entitlement was sorted out by the European courts and the system became essentially illegal.

Feel free to take it to management and try but I would not hold your breath.

Good grief I wish I hadn't asked now.  As regards to us having fridges, we have one small fridge and to be honest there's plenty of thieves about so I wouldn't put anything in there.

dont be daft we are only having a discussion no one is getting upset, Its interesting reading peoples opinions about it and chipping in with yours.
« Last Edit: 08-12-18, 04:27PM by forrestgimp »