Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 12:37AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60800
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Food  (Read 7396 times)

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Food
« on: 20-11-18, 11:02PM »
Hi,I'm on nights and there's no cook on...again. when this happened before we were allowed a meal deal. Then that became a sandwich only, now a day manager says we aren't allowed ANYTHING. Is this correct? We either have to pay full price or get a kit kat. We don't have a cook on Sundays and can't even buy from the shop floor. Can they do this? I tell you what,it wouldn't happen on days. >:( >:(

Danny boy

Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: 21-11-18, 12:02AM »
There's been no cook on night's in our store for few weeks..its a member of staff cooking or the manager.

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 21-11-18, 12:10AM »
If only there was a way you could make lunch at home and bring it into work..

StoreTL

« Reply #3 on: 21-11-18, 12:13AM »
Hi,I'm on nights and there's no cook on...again. when this happened before we were allowed a meal deal. Then that became a sandwich only, now a day manager says we aren't allowed ANYTHING. Is this correct? We either have to pay full price or get a kit kat. We don't have a cook on Sundays and can't even buy from the shop floor. Can they do this? I tell you what,it wouldn't happen on days. >:( >:(

I’ll tell you what... it does happen on days. No food served after lunch times in the majority of colleague rooms now.

Maybe speak to other people and find out what’s happening rather than expecting free food.

Tesco aren’t obliged to provide us free food. If you want something to eat, buy it from a shop (oh, you work in one!) or bring it in from home.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 21-11-18, 12:37AM »
Calm down dear. It was only a question

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 21-11-18, 12:49AM »

I’ll tell you what... it does happen on days. No food served after lunch times in the majority of colleague rooms now.

Maybe speak to other people and find out what’s happening rather than expecting free food.

Tesco aren’t obliged to provide us free food. If you want something to eat, buy it from a shop (oh, you work in one!) or bring it in from home.
calm down it was only a question. You need propranolol pal.

StoreTL

« Reply #6 on: 21-11-18, 08:49AM »
I’m fine mate. You’re the one who was ranting and raving and finished with ‘it won’t happen on days’

Well ya days colleague do get shat on too you know.

Bleh

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 21-11-18, 09:42AM »
Don't see the issue? Other formats have to pay full price from the shop floor for their lunch, don't understand why you feel entitled to a free meal.

Ahsda

« Reply #8 on: 21-11-18, 11:13AM »
Crazy that you would even ask. You think you're entitled to a free meal?  :D :D :D

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 21-11-18, 11:51AM »
Think yourself lucky you were getting a free meal deal, I worked for years in express and we never got any free food.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

RubyRed

« Reply #10 on: 22-11-18, 03:58AM »
Yes they can do this it is a benefit (or not in your case). When the staff rooms moved over to a third party the opening hours changed. In the store I was in there was no cover on a Sunday which seems odd when the store isn’t open.

« Reply #11 on: 22-11-18, 01:43PM »
Crazy that you would even ask. You think you're entitled to a free meal?  :D :D :D

Tesco is going the way of McDonald's in a lot of other aspects so why not.  :)

Shoestring

« Reply #12 on: 22-11-18, 04:21PM »
You could always raid the Tesco shop for staff, rotten out of date chuck outs... how deserving are we.  :o

Or bring in your own and use the microwave!

As rumour has it all staff hot food production is going anyway so you will have use only of snack machine and microwaves, so this is what you will have to do in the future all the same.

As stated, it is a rumour if anyone would like to confirm or dismiss this rumour?  :-\

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 22-11-18, 05:18PM »
It used to be one of the recognised perks for the night crew, to have a meal of their choice cooked at no charge, partly due to the unsociable hours and nowhere open to buy a hot meal. It was in the days before 24hour stores. I think it is still recognised in some stores.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #14 on: 22-11-18, 06:19PM »

Why do you think you are entitled to a free meal? if you went to work and the cook was not there unexpectedly then I can see an argument to feed you as you had no notice to provide any for yourself but if its an ongoing thing take a pack up you are aware of no food being provided by the canteen and should make your own provisions.

It used to be one of the recognised perks for the night crew, to have a meal of their choice cooked at no charge, partly due to the unsociable hours and nowhere open to buy a hot meal. It was in the days before 24hour stores. I think it is still recognised in some stores.

That has never happened in our store in the 18 years we had a night shift.
« Last Edit: 22-11-18, 06:20PM by forrestgimp »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 22-11-18, 07:43PM »
Yep certainly the case in ours...over 20 years.....another inconsistency in the world of Tesco
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 24-11-18, 05:30PM »
Yea I'm a bit bummed to be fair we had to take our own food for the most part and when a cook was on we paid the going rate.

Getting back to the point all Tesco have to provide is a rest area they do not have to provide food or hot drinks.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 28-11-18, 12:14AM »

It happens on days all the time. Today we had no breakfast before 10 AM. Lunch started at 12 and finished at 2. So unless your break was within a 4 hour time frame, you weren't getting a hot meal.

Stop whinging and do what we do: bring your own meals in.

Miss Piggy

• Know All
« Reply #18 on: 04-12-18, 12:18AM »
Don't see the issue? Other formats have to pay full price from the shop floor for their lunch, don't understand why you feel entitled to a free meal.
Because Tesco is a hugely profitable business that looks after all it's employees?

Miss Piggy

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 04-12-18, 12:22AM »

It happens on days all the time. Today we had no breakfast before 10 AM. Lunch started at 12 and finished at 2. So unless your break was within a 4 hour time frame, you weren't getting a hot meal.

Are there sufficient storage areas for tens of staff to  safely store food for consumption?

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 04-12-18, 02:08AM »
On a rating of looking after your staffs welfare and health especially in the winter Tesco score 0

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 04-12-18, 08:01AM »
Frequently our canteen doesn't provide breakfast or lunch die to staff shortages. When we actually have a third party canteen manager (They never last more than a few months) they complain about lack of people using them.

Surely unless the facility is guaranteed to be open at the stated opening times they may as well just close them.

Express stores cope without canteens, and with the majority of our workforce working short part time shifts the numbers getting a hour lunch break are ever decreasing.

Malridge

« Reply #22 on: 04-12-18, 04:18PM »
Custom & practice,
I think it's fair to say that the benefits offered when starting 15 years ago, we're the tipping factor in taking the job.
As these benefits diminish so does my enthusiasm to finish a cage ten minutes after clocking off time.
Our staff canteen is going through it's death throes, they're not even supplying tea or coffee, we club together to buy our own.
The only legal requirement is to provide a rest area!

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 04-12-18, 05:10PM »

Are there sufficient storage areas for tens of staff to  safely store food for consumption?
There are fridges in the rest rooms. No matter how much you complain Tesco are not obligated to supply you with either a free or subsidised meal. I find it amazing you are that self entitled that you would assume they were.

Miss Piggy

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 04-12-18, 10:32PM »
Not self entitled at all. We are discussing the unjustified removal of what was a long standing benefit to employees from a company which prides itself as a great employer.