Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-11-18, 04:19PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81409
  • Total Topics: 1711
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Witness statement???  (Read 1770 times)

Equinox

• VLH Supporter
Witness statement???
« on: 09-11-18, 02:37PM »
Hi all

Just a quick question, my colleague has written a witness statement for an incident this week but a manager has not written everything down, to protect their own back probably.  They’ve said they want to add bits to the statement and union at our store have said it’s allowed but no management want to help, probably because they all want to stick up for said manager.

Can anyone offer any advice of what option to take next? Personnel? Head office?

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Witness statement???
« Reply #1 on: 09-11-18, 02:53PM »
So the colleague didn’t write their statement the manager did?
But did the colleague sign it?

Who wants to add to the statement?

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Equinox

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 09-11-18, 04:12PM »
So the statement was correct but certain things needed to be added, the person who witnessed the incident wants to add to their witness statement which was written by the duty manager who was at fault as they didn’t attend a first aid call.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 09-11-18, 07:31PM »
It has to be asked, why do they want to add to it? Why wasn’t the info mentioned and recorded the first time?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 10-11-18, 01:29PM »
Unsure why the manager involved in the incident is writing the statements, surely shouldn't be involved due to a conflict of interest  ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #5 on: 11-11-18, 09:41AM »
If I was that witness, I'd write my own, correct, statement and include in it that the original statement, written out by the manager, was incomplete.

If the witness has trouble with writing / grammar etc, they could ask someone they trust to write it out for them. Definitely not the manager who was involved.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 12-11-18, 12:25PM »
I would always argue that a statement isn’t a true reflection of person A’s knowledge, understanding or opinion if it is written by person B.
Also whether you write the statement in the presence of a manager yourself or the manager writes it and you sign it, if the manager present is part of the incident requiring statements then the likelihood is that will have some kind of impact on what your write or what you say. So again not a true reflection of what you think would know or would say.

As tumshie suggests write another statement, mention in that statement why the second statement was made and why it has new information, the manager taking statements about an incident they were involved in seems to have somehow suppressed a comprehensive true reflective statement.
If possible get another colleague to witness the statement being written and sign as a witness to the STATEMENT not the incident.

Duracell.