Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-11-18, 03:34PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81409
  • Total Topics: 1711
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: The real living wage is now £9 per hour  (Read 4669 times)

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
Re: The real living wage is now £9 per hour
« Reply #25 on: 07-11-18, 04:28PM »
 :thumbup: too true

Red75

« Reply #26 on: 07-11-18, 08:10PM »
There has never been the will at Tesco to pay general assistants well. For years the minimum wage wasn't fit for purpose and Tesco could keep well ahead of it without too much strain. In the Terry Leary era 'the glory days' shop floor staff some years received significant bonuses, can't remember how much, I wasn't working for Tesco then, but 20 percent plus.
Mr Lewis's pay and bonuses are considerably higher than that of any other CEO of a major UK supermarket. There are thousands of people in the Tesco business who are paid extremely well and it's never been of any concern to them how little shop floor staff are paid. Tesco could pay shopfloor staff better but they have a very top heavy pay structure and they are unwilling to change this. European companies such as Also and Lidl operate with much flatter pay structures, the staff at the bottom are paid a much greater proportion of the wage expense and managers of all grades and executives are paid less. I'm sure that a flatter pay structure contributed towards a happier workforce. Our leadership are big time capitalists, all they care about is lining their pockets and their reputations. Dave Lewis will probably come out of this with a knighthood and we'll get a couple of percent more than minimum wage.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #27 on: 07-11-18, 08:39PM »
Lidl and Aldi shop floor staff are a good few higher levels of capability than the average tesco worker. Managers are paid more than tesco managers too. Area managers less though than their equivalent.

Life after tossco part 2

« Reply #28 on: 07-11-18, 09:34PM »
Administrator Comment Guess who has gone again.

bushido

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Train hard, fight easy.
« Reply #29 on: 07-11-18, 10:09PM »
who's back not whose surely?

Global Moderator Comment I'm fairly sure Life after tossco part 2 would not know the difference.
bushido  
Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed
 "Gentlemen, you cant fight in here, this is the war room!"

AlexM

• Smart Arse
« Reply #30 on: 08-11-18, 10:27AM »
The wage situation at Tesco is deplorable. I'm just so thankful I left over 2 years ago to work in an entry level office job. In those two years, I now earn more than a new Tesco manager. & I still just do the same office job as when I started. 

My new employer pays over the real living wage. & The work/life balance is perfect - no more working antisocial weekend & evening shifts. An incredible pension & bonuses.
Seriously, get yourselves out of tesco

tesc0H

« Reply #31 on: 08-11-18, 05:23PM »
Hi

Does anyone know the current new starter rate?

monty67

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #32 on: 08-11-18, 10:14PM »
The new starter rate is £7.895 per hour.

« Reply #33 on: 09-11-18, 01:18AM »
I've been on a go slow, work to rule and f**k Tesco philosophy since the strung out and lousy pay 'increase', premium cuts, job losses etc. I don't give a toss about benefits I don't use. I want the money in my pocket. I now shop elsewhere too because of not wanting to put my pay back in their tills.

Morrisons is popular in our place.

barafear

« Reply #34 on: 09-11-18, 02:14PM »

Is this due to go up by 3% in November?

So £8.13?

Still need to go up to at least £8.21 by April to meet the new NLW

monty67

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #35 on: 09-11-18, 09:07PM »
No I dont think so.
It didn't go up with the last pay rise in July.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 10-11-18, 12:43PM »
Unfortunately it's not as simple as it sounds.  Last few years productivity in UK is going down.  In Tesco or other work places , I and my friends in other businesses observe a huge increase in workers who simply do not deliver. And its not necessarily "they do not want to" it is that they are simply that bad.

UK workers boosted their hourly productivity at their fastest rate in more than a year only last month (http://www.cityam.com/264720/uk-productivity-steams-ahead-hitting-21-month-high). UK productivity has suffered a steep fall in output because of the manufacturing sector, not retail. Productivity is measured by the amount of work produced per working hour - it's not rocket science, where human effort is supplanted by automation the degree of output from humans falls. More scan as you shop and self scan tills and less cashiers - that lowers human productivity. If Tesco's productivity is so low then stores would have PI targets of 100 or below but they invariably run above 105 (driving at least 5% less payroll costs than is needed) thus demanding more effort from less human hours - Tesco is overproductive.

I see people working their asses off but they do not deliver.  In our store we had now maybe 20 people employed within last 16 months, who lasted from one shift to about 1 year.  No one was worth the money, young people who could not compete with 60+ yr team members.  Now we have agency , 12h shift and well ... "it takes two to fill one aisle".

Workers who still keep their standards, pace and  simply deliver the most are loosing out, badly.  We all know that the chain is as strong as the weakest link. So pay isn't going up as currently productivity is far to low.

My experience is the same, but my observation is that this is due to increasingly inept management facing impossibly challenging productivity targets, it's a top-down issue not a bottom-up one. Also, younger workers have a different attitude to previous generations - recognising that few will gain the wealth of their parents and faced with poorer pensions, student debt and unaffordable housing they have chosen to value life experiences over long hours at work, a big mortgage and a debt-fuelled lifestyle - they can see from history that what was regarded as the 'corporate lifestyle' is unrewarding and loyalty to any company is not reciprocated.

Employee

« Reply #37 on: 14-11-18, 04:16PM »

Is this due to go up by 3% in November?

So £8.13?

Still need to go up to at least £8.21 by April to meet the new NLW

Starter Rate is going up December pay day to £8.18 for B/C grade, so will be 3p an hour short of new NLW.

Will be interesting to see whether they just up the new starter rate or rush through a new or temp deal.

Does mean we'll only be 21p higher than NLW at full rate now, which is not great to say the least.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #38 on: 14-11-18, 04:32PM »
Unfortunately it's not as simple as it sounds.  Last few years productivity in UK is going down.  In Tesco or other work places , I and my friends in other businesses observe a huge increase in workers who simply do not deliver. And its not necessarily "they do not want to" it is that they are simply that bad.

UK workers boosted their hourly productivity at their fastest rate in more than a year only last month (http://www.cityam.com/264720/uk-productivity-steams-ahead-hitting-21-month-high). UK productivity has suffered a steep fall in output because of the manufacturing sector, not retail. Productivity is measured by the amount of work produced per working hour - it's not rocket science, where human effort is supplanted by automation the degree of output from humans falls. More scan as you shop and self scan tills and less cashiers - that lowers human productivity. If Tesco's productivity is so low then stores would have PI targets of 100 or below but they invariably run above 105 (driving at least 5% less payroll costs than is needed) thus demanding more effort from less human hours - Tesco is overproductive.

I see people working their asses off but they do not deliver.  In our store we had now maybe 20 people employed within last 16 months, who lasted from one shift to about 1 year.  No one was worth the money, young people who could not compete with 60+ yr team members.  Now we have agency , 12h shift and well ... "it takes two to fill one aisle".

Workers who still keep their standards, pace and  simply deliver the most are loosing out, badly.  We all know that the chain is as strong as the weakest link. So pay isn't going up as currently productivity is far to low.

My experience is the same, but my observation is that this is due to increasingly inept management facing impossibly challenging productivity targets, it's a top-down issue not a bottom-up one. Also, younger workers have a different attitude to previous generations - recognising that few will gain the wealth of their parents and faced with poorer pensions, student debt and unaffordable housing they have chosen to value life experiences over long hours at work, a big mortgage and a debt-fuelled lifestyle - they can see from history that what was regarded as the 'corporate lifestyle' is unrewarding and loyalty to any company is not reciprocated.

There are two types of young worker in our store. The ones above about seeing how life has changed are the part time evening ones who are at uni or coage and this is just a few pennies to cover their education costs. The others young ones have no idea of the outside world and are earning a few pennies for friday night living paycheck to paycheck with very little ambition.