Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-11-18, 04:35PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81409
  • Total Topics: 1711
  • Online Today: 127
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: The real living wage is now £9 per hour  (Read 4673 times)

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
The real living wage is now £9 per hour
« on: 05-11-18, 10:04PM »
In this article it is said that 4,700 employers are committed to paying the 'real living wage'.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/05/living-wage-poverty-employees-workers
Should tesco be setting an example?If so why isn't it?

And
Should usdaw be canvasing its members in tesco (surely one of it biggest member bases) 'directly' for their opinion?
especially given the info in the following;
https://www.usdaw.org.uk/About-Us/News/2018/Nov/Real-Living-Wage-upr*ting-welcomed-by-Usdaw-but-th
Is the usdaw leadership 'all talk''?
How long before we see our reps (with the support of the usdaw leadership), handing out questionnaires with just the one question (and without the usual middleman of the tesco corporate machine), 'Do you as an usdaw member feel that you are worth the 'real living wage'?'.

I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
Re: The real living wage is now £9 per hour
« Reply #1 on: 05-11-18, 10:27PM »
Tesco add in their discount and other benefits to try to tell staff that they are earning the equivalent to living wage

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 06-11-18, 02:34AM »
Usdaw is Tesco in disguise .

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #3 on: 06-11-18, 08:35AM »
This is a big problem when company is telling you that all the benefits are part of your pay package.  Yes, some people might benefit out of it very well but unfortunately most of us won't.  I would be very happy if I could sacrifice my discount card for 52 pence pay increase.

Another stupid idea is "spend (more) to save" in form of Xmas vouchers etc.

But don't panic in 2020 we should be getting pay rise up to £8.69 p/h.

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 06-11-18, 10:20AM »
What's up with £9.20 per hour next July to compete with Sainsbury's? And why do we have to wait till November for pay rise?That's another Lewis con, endorsed by usdaw costing staff money

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 06-11-18, 10:59AM »
And let's not forget the role of the Forum in all this - all done with the endorsement of our own

mac84

« Reply #6 on: 06-11-18, 12:22PM »
I've been on a go slow, work to rule and f**k Tesco philosophy since the strung out and lousy pay 'increase', premium cuts, job losses etc. I don't give a toss about benefits I don't use. I want the money in my pocket. I now shop elsewhere too because of not wanting to put my pay back in their tills.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 06-11-18, 03:48PM »
Lidl has just announced £9.00 an hour minimum wage increase for Northern Ireland. Well done Lidl👏 We are so lagging behind😡

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 06-11-18, 04:45PM »
Forgive my ignorance but I have been unable to access any payslips since last April! What rate is a store GA on now??
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 06-11-18, 04:51PM »
£8.18 going up to £8.42 mid November.

Vanilla

« Reply #10 on: 06-11-18, 04:53PM »
Agree with Mac84.
Tesco is not an employer in the truest sense, merely a relationship of convenience whilst workers find something better and whilst Tesco home in on a "colleague free" store.
But the numpties are forgetting that Government (a bigger cant than Tesco) will next look to tax the robots.
 8)

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 06-11-18, 05:14PM »
In 2016/17 Tosco reckon the discount was worth .38p per hour,meaning a full timer would have to spend £550 every four weeks on shopping to get discount of £55 ,equivalent of .38 p per hour.Really drastic ,really

barafear

« Reply #12 on: 06-11-18, 05:59PM »
I'm glad someone started a thread along these lines.

Here's my 2p worth:

Clearly, it is most unlikely that Tesco will sign up to be a Living Wage Foundation employer. In the short term, it would mean raising the hourly rate of GAs up to £9 by next April - and not only that but maintaining any increases put forward by the LWF - not conveniently forgetting to give us a pay rise or by delaying any pay rise out over several months/years and by changing other things (premiums) to actually pay for it.

What I wanted to say was obviously Tesco does legally need to pay the NLW - and as announced in the budget on Halloween, this will be going up to £8.21 in April. This means that our base pay will only be 21p higher than the absolute legal minimum (around 2.5%).

Obviously the NLW does only officially apply to over 25s, so Tesco could say they are "overpaying" under 25s....but that's not much cop if you're over 25!!

My other question is: Don't tesco still have a starter rate (first three months) - anyone know what that is now - and what it will be in November?
Surely that must be skating close to the NLW figures.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 06-11-18, 06:50PM »
Throwing a grenade in here but who would be a manager stating on 21500 for £11 an hour vs £9 for a store assistant. £2 an hour extra.

barafear

« Reply #14 on: 06-11-18, 07:33PM »
That has long been the argument about the minimum wage.
Of course it might be "fair" to increase everyone's wages - but companies claim they cannot afford this - basically - giving everyone a 5% pay increase would mean having to increase prices by 5%.
So companies do what they have to do legally and increase the lowest pay points - but as you say it closes the gap to higher paid staff - and the differential becomes smaller and smaller.
In a way, a little bit like the football scenario -

Player X is paid £100k a week - and all is well in the world at the club.
Then the club buy a new star player  - and pay him £150k per week.
Player X now wants a pay rise - to £150k or at the very least £125k.
And the rollercoaster effect goes on - all the other players demand an increase commensurate to the others.

Unfortunately, none of us are ever likely to see £150k in 10 years let alone a week!!

Anyway - forgive my ignorance, but do managers only get £21k a year? Surely not?

madness

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 06-11-18, 07:56PM »
Starting manager I believe that is the wage. You can laugh and poke fun as many on here will about "useless managers " and "not worth it" etc but fact is a good one can make or break a bad department.

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 06-11-18, 08:41PM »
I've been on a go slow, work to rule and f**k Tesco philosophy since the strung out and lousy pay 'increase', premium cuts, job losses etc. I don't give a toss about benefits I don't use. I want the money in my pocket. I now shop elsewhere too because of not wanting to put my pay back in their tills.

Maybe if Tesco wasn't full of lazy people like you then profits would be higher and they could pay more.

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 06-11-18, 09:14PM »
Spike  :thumbup:

just curious

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 06-11-18, 11:02PM »

Maybe if Tesco wasn't full of lazy people like you then profits would be higher and they could pay more.

Yeah more to the Directors / managers / shareholders , not the workers who create the revenue that they take the cream off .  :-X :-X :question:

Jethro

« Reply #19 on: 07-11-18, 09:01AM »

Yeah more to the Directors / managers / shareholders , not the workers who create the revenue that they take the cream off .  :-X :-X :question:

You keep telling yourself that .

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #20 on: 07-11-18, 12:04PM »

Unfortunately it's not as simple as it sounds.  Last few years productivity in UK is going down.  In Tesco or other work places , I and my friends in other businesses observe a huge increase in workers who simply do not deliver. And its not necessarily "they do not want to" it is that they are simply that bad.

I see people working their asses off but they do not deliver.  In our store we had now maybe 20 people employed within last 16 months, who lasted from one shift to about 1 year.  No one was worth the money, young people who could not compete with 60+ yr team members.  Now we have agency , 12h shift and well ... "it takes two to fill one aisle".

Workers who still keep their standards, pace and  simply deliver the most are loosing out, badly.  We all know that the chain is as strong as the weakest link. So pay isn't going up as currently productivity is far to low.

Low pay will not attract workforce who will have the passion or the will to work.  Many people are getting annoyed now more and more as looking for new jobs we see some offers for cleaners as high as £10.5 p/h. That's more than we night workers get on average including Sunday premium.
Low unemployment has its own impact as well. Last week I heard some rumours (not fully confirmed ) that Avonmouth DC might receive £2 pound pay rise.  Massive jump.

mac84

« Reply #21 on: 07-11-18, 01:17PM »
spike_pkh "Maybe if Tesco wasn't full of lazy people like you then profits would be higher and they could pay more."

My comment does not imply I am lazy. You're being either wilfully ignorant or lacking comprehension of cause and effect.
« Last Edit: 07-11-18, 01:28PM by mac84 »

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 07-11-18, 01:47PM »
Don't worry usdaw are working on getting us on Mon £10 per hour,probably take them another 5 years to achieve it ,but in usdaw we trust

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #23 on: 07-11-18, 02:52PM »
Who is worth £9 a hour ?

Nobody is if honestly:

You can't (mentally) in 30 seconds give the correct change for 3 items costing £1.37 each purchased with £5.00

You do not know the difference between:
their & there
wont & won't
its & it's
managers & manager's or even managers'
when to use i or I

8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Teddybonkers

« Reply #24 on: 07-11-18, 04:17PM »
So according to lordadmiral our pay would increase faster, if staff were more productive ;D. You don't imagine that the Company might just be tempted to bank the difference. Nowadays, our pay rises are driven by increases in the NLW, and nothing else - period.