Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:45PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62888
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Personal Day in Distribution  (Read 4422 times)

Billy Budd

• VLH Supporter
Personal Day in Distribution
« on: 26-10-18, 11:07AM »

Hi guys....How does your DC handle 'personal days?' Our DC won't allow any Personal days

in December, and first week in January because of high volumes, sickness, blah, blah, blah!

What's it like in your DC?

Can anyone post the rules for the personal day in distribution centres?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
Re: Personal Day in Distribution
« Reply #1 on: 26-10-18, 06:04PM »
Holiday process for Distribution is as policy says by local agreement so what ever is agreed at your location is the Process, this can vary with each location.

Your reps should negotiate and agree a process best suited to your location.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 27-10-18, 09:12AM »
Given the total shambles of distribution last December I'm not surprised they are not allowing personal days off in December.
And before anybody jumps down my throat the above mentioned shambles was not the fault of the ordinary DC worker

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 28-10-18, 02:17AM »
Given the shambles of distribution throughout the rest of the year I am surprised anyone is allowed any time off ever

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 28-10-18, 07:24AM »
Ah just training new staff for Christmas c**kup

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 28-10-18, 11:14AM »
Given the shambles of distribution throughout the rest of the year I am surprised anyone is allowed any time off ever

It's one long holiday for us in distribution, spike. Thanks for your support.

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 29-10-18, 02:05AM »
Seems like it.. delivery comes on the wrong days or doesn't come at all.  Easily damaged items are on a cage with wine and beer piled on top and then shrink wrapped so that when undone all the drinks fall off. Consistently late deliveries and then we get told by drivers that they are all just say around at depot waiting for lorries. I could go on

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 29-10-18, 09:27AM »
Agree spike, deliveries all over the place and now there are no best before dates on a lot of produce random dates of stock comes in sometimes on the same cages.
Does not bode well for Christmas again

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #8 on: 29-10-18, 10:19AM »
spike_pkh, captain the problem is DC Management/organisation not the pickers, loaders or drivers.

Perhaps pickers should ignore the picking orders/sequence they are given and drivers should bring out empty lorries  8-)

Administrator Comment Return to 'Personal Day in Distribution'.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

« Reply #9 on: 29-10-18, 07:29PM »
Administrator Comment See the above section in red.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 30-10-18, 08:22PM »
Personal day can be taken any time.... But not December or Easter week....

« Reply #11 on: 30-10-18, 11:27PM »
It can be used in December. In our place people used it to do Christmas shopping.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 31-10-18, 05:04AM »
Is it just me that finds it ironic that personal days were originally an extra day off to be taken in December to enable us to do some Xmas shopping . Now it's almost impossible to use in December unless it's for Xmas day or boxing day 😠

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 31-10-18, 08:28AM »
It certainly was, and still is as far as I'm aware instore, it aways stated in the holiday book, that the personal day could be taken during December, however it could also be taken during the year, by mutual agreement.

Dot Com usually get given theirs as Xmas Eve.

The DC's must've different contract agreements.
« Last Edit: 31-10-18, 08:31AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 01-11-18, 10:58AM »
While the holiday Policy on Our T includes Distribution, and where differences apply it refers you to Distribution Site agreements, The policy clearly directs you to site agreements when it needs to or gives specific detail to some Distribution Sites, So under certain headings where there is no referral to site agreements or clear mention of that heading applying to specific sections IE Stores Distribution or Dot.com then it would be reasonable to assume that that heading applies to all, because elsewhere under other headings where it can't it says so.

So under the heading Personal Day, there is no mention of specifics or referral to site agreements so that section should for the above reasoning apply to All.
It clearly mentions how you qualify for the personal day and when You CAN take it, if you wish to take it in December you can.

Taking Normal Holidays in Distribution refers you to site Agreement.
Bank Holidays are treated as if they were a Normal holiday so again Site Agreement would apply.

This does not apply to Annualised Hours Staff as Their Entitlement is factored into Their Pay, Rota and Reserve hours Balance.
« Last Edit: 01-11-18, 10:59AM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

ardymardy

• I made them an offer they couldn't refuse
« Reply #15 on: 02-06-19, 03:47PM »
So I know of a shop steward at AV dc, who raised the issue of personal days last October/November to try and resolve holiday issues for colleagues, got nowhere through site forums, went off on stress over Christmas, and on his return got dragged through disciplinary to be given a verbal warning. Although the policy is clear and in black and white, getting management to implement policy is a different matter.