Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-09-19, 03:19AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60705
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 117
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 95
Total: 101

Author Topic: New benefit ??  (Read 12656 times)

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
Re: New benefit ??
« Reply #50 on: 03-06-19, 05:02PM »
lewis will class all these services as part of our wage!!!!  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 03-06-19, 07:07PM by Nomad »

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #51 on: 03-06-19, 05:10PM »
Dave Lewis is there no announcement about him not coming back yet.
« Last Edit: 03-06-19, 07:07PM by Nomad »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #52 on: 03-06-19, 07:09PM »
Administrator Comment If you want to have a go at somebody using obscenities then go on FB, they like it VLH does not.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightOwl121

« Reply #53 on: 03-06-19, 08:17PM »
Someone came in to speak to some of the managers in our store about this recently, and also about managers giving us coaching as it was put on how to manage our personal finance, we then had a big display set up in the training room with leaflets about budgeting, and dealing with debt etc. Seems like alongside giving us regular health advice and free fruit we are now being given advice on how to use our own money, I'm sure all this is well meaning but does it really add anything useful to the company.

The benefit for Tesco is less sickness which in theory boosts productivity . If colleagues are financially secure they will worry less about money . They are running mental health campaigns as well to try to help colleagues. The mental health foundation stated in a recent article that 70 million working days are lost each year due to mental illness . It's a big issue , most companies will invest in staff so long as they benefit in some way . It's a win win , they come out smelling like roses and hopefully reduce the impact of mental illness on the business.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #54 on: 03-06-19, 09:04PM »
You can only budget if you have money to budget with. With all the low hours contract these days people will be struggling to pay the bus to work never mind put fuel in the car. The negative impacts on mental health is a major issue in our store.  How managers expect these people to do any sort of work is ridiculous. Managers don’t help the situation by speaking negatively of colleagues who are only doing what they can.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #55 on: 03-06-19, 09:22PM »
Where Tesco is going wrong is funding these pointless initiatives, all of these discounts in the reward gateway that most people won't bother with, millions on financial aid and in-store mental health advertisements, they'd be better off re-investing that into staff wages so they're at least competitive, the message they're sending out is that "we won't pay you a livable wage because you're not worth that much, we'll help you learn to live within your means however because we doubt you have the intelligence to look after yourself
" On that note, Tesco really does undervalue it's staff, they didn't think I was manager material so they promotion blocked me, long story short found another job that pays 2 x what i was on as a shift leader.
« Last Edit: 03-06-19, 09:23PM by NightAndDay »

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #56 on: 03-06-19, 09:55PM »
Over many years at tesco at every store I worked I met groups of individuals who, simply saying, weren't bright.  Part timer moaning about being short won't do extra few OT shifts, because it would require more work.  People thinking that it's better to receive for example extra £100 today than £1000 a month later. Long service workers who do not know how much they earn.  People crying that Tesco didn't pay them for OT because when they work weekend and do extra shift in the middle of the week they receive less money.  And me or other mgr trying to explain to them that they are on extra pay during Sunday shift. And its same people over and over.

People who do not know how much income tax, NIC they should pay and when. So again part timers kicking off because Tesco cut their pay because they worked so much extra OT and earned few Ks over their Personal Allowance, and they think that because they paid no tax year before they should pay none.

People refusing their annual bonus ( old SIS) because it's to much hassle. After all what's the point taking £600 worth of shares if you have to sell them year later or at any time you want, people spending £150 in one evening x 4 with income of 1200 a month and then moaning how hard life is and they can afford a room only and basic food.

Seen it all.  So no wonder tesco is offering financial advise.

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #57 on: 04-06-19, 12:00PM »
I decided to apply. See how it went!
Clearly, my PT contract, topped up with "regular" additional hours came back to bite me.
Despite, my actual earnings over the last few years being well over the "minimum salary" (reqd to apply for the Salary Finance Loan), I failed at the first hurdle. My salary was below the £6000 reqd to apply. My actual contracted hours came to about £5850!!
Of course, part of this only happened since the Sunday premium was cut (over 50% of my contracted hours are on a Sunday).
So double/triple whammy.
Not only have I fallen below the threshold, but my actual earnings have easily been in the £7k-8k range.
And obviously when I look at my benefit statement, Tesco add on the benefit of my discount (that's another £1k), my pension (well I opted out when they changed the scheme a few years ago....but if I was in, that'd be another £500), our "holiday pay" - at least another 1-2% of my salary, not forgetting our bonus (2.5% -3.5% based on the last few years).
Not to mention of course, that in theory next Monday we get to hear what our fabulous pay award/review will bring us. So even a basic 3% increase would take me over the £6k minimum salary reqd.

Malridge

« Reply #58 on: 04-06-19, 12:53PM »
In our store there's a poster for this pay day loan scheme, next to that is a poster for the pay day raffle, £2 winner takes half the proceeds, the social fund gets the other half, and that's next to the mental health poster! 🤔
Not sure what msg they're trying to convey!
« Last Edit: 04-06-19, 01:00PM by Malridge »

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #59 on: 04-06-19, 01:04PM »
I understand the sentiment of this "benefit" - however, I'd like to give the other side:
There are many people in this country who cannot access credit at "normal bank rates" - and are trapped in a cycle of very high APR.  If this offers a lower rate alternative, then it is a benefit.

However, there are two provisos to this :
If this company still applies the same level of credit checking, then clearly these people will not get accepted anyway.
And also, the rate (3.9% to 19.9%) - even at 19.9% it's better than some of the high cost short term loans - but could the company use their small print to possibly offer loans at much higher rates.

Anyway......

NightOwl121

« Reply #60 on: 04-06-19, 07:18PM »
I understand the sentiment of this "benefit" - however, I'd like to give the other side:
There are many people in this country who cannot access credit at "normal bank rates" - and are trapped in a cycle of very high APR.  If this offers a lower rate alternative, then it is a benefit.

However, there are two provisos to this :
If this company still applies the same level of credit checking, then clearly these people will not get accepted anyway.
And also, the rate (3.9% to 19.9%) - even at 19.9% it's better than some of the high cost short term loans - but could the company use their small print to possibly offer loans at much higher rates.

Anyway......

The payments are automatically taken from your wage before you receive it . I think that's how they get around the credit issue. 

NightOwl121

« Reply #61 on: 04-06-19, 07:33PM »
Over many years at tesco at every store I worked I met groups of individuals who, simply saying, weren't bright.  Part timer moaning about being short won't do extra few OT shifts, because it would require more work.  People thinking that it's better to receive for example extra £100 today than £1000 a month later. Long service workers who do not know how much they earn.  People crying that Tesco didn't pay them for OT because when they work weekend and do extra shift in the middle of the week they receive less money.  And me or other mgr trying to explain to them that they are on extra pay during Sunday shift. And its same people over and over.

People who do not know how much income tax, NIC they should pay and when. So again part timers kicking off because Tesco cut their pay because they worked so much extra OT and earned few Ks over their Personal Allowance, and they think that because they paid no tax year before they should pay none.

People refusing their annual bonus ( old SIS) because it's to much hassle. After all what's the point taking £600 worth of shares if you have to sell them year later or at any time you want, people spending £150 in one evening x 4 with income of 1200 a month and then moaning how hard life is and they can afford a room only and basic food.

Seen it all.  So no wonder tesco is offering financial advise.

Once you reach 6000 you can borrow up to 17% of your annual salary.  The max they loan is 15,000 , whoever is eligible for the 15000 most be on a great wage

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #62 on: 04-06-19, 08:07PM »
NightOwl121:  £88,235.00 per annum
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #63 on: 04-06-19, 08:46PM »
At 19.9% APR and Tesco cas earning 20p above nlw, it's very short sighted for Tesco to offer a pay day loan scheme to colleagues, they push all of this mental health awareness and financial advice down our throats but don't pay a better wage, they really are a terrible employer.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #64 on: 05-06-19, 09:01AM »
Can you take a few thousand before telling them you are leaving the company telling them they’ll get the money back no issues off your next few wages.  >:D

T.C.1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #65 on: 05-06-19, 11:51AM »
Is it true from today USDAW members can't get any discount off Frankies & Bennys restaurants ???

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #66 on: 05-06-19, 12:04PM »
NightOwl121:  £88,235.00 per annum

So why would they need a loan on that amount of salary. Surely would highlight living beyond their means, gambling/alcohol/drug addiction or just c**p at managing their money :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #67 on: 05-06-19, 01:01PM »
An awful lot of alcohol abuse!!

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #68 on: 05-06-19, 04:29PM »
Alcohol  :)

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #69 on: 09-07-19, 01:42PM »
Sorry - old thread resurrected.
On a connected point, may I ask whether anyone has contact details for Tesco's HR dept.
Or even how to contact our "People Manager" - never seen him, just "posters" near our colleague locker room! Not sure if he really exists.

I'd prefer if there was a direct email address for HR.

As I only work weekends, I do not see my Wages Clerk, if that were to be my first port of call.

According to Salary Finance, my "basic salary" is "much" (in % terms) lower than I thought. Having worked through the figures, HR believe my basic salary is just that - basically £8.42 x 52 weeks x weekly hours.

What they are missing is that I work in a store with location pay - so that's another 45p per hour.
In addition to that, more than half my contract hours are on a Sunday - and they have not included my Sunday premium in my "basic pay"

I wanted to "clarify" with them!  thanks

Ssdd

« Reply #70 on: 09-07-19, 03:39PM »
It's only basic that includes, you have to put your extras like location pay,  overtime,  premiums as extra income.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #71 on: 09-07-19, 03:51PM »
Every element forming your salary is being specified separatelly, one after another one, on the left side of the payslip.
like that:
Basic pay : 300
Sunday Premium : 60
Overtime: 60
etc
etc
etc

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #72 on: 09-07-19, 06:07PM »
Yes I understand that - but the bottom line is:

If someone wants to know what my "basic" salary is, surely it's what's on the contract (for what it's worth) - and that figure includes location pay and the fact that my contracted hours include Sunday premium.

So, does no-one know a contact email address for HR?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #73 on: 09-07-19, 06:57PM »
Sorry - old thread resurrected.
On a connected point, may I ask whether anyone has contact details for Tesco's HR dept.
Or even how to contact our "People Manager" - never seen him, just "posters" near our colleague locker room! Not sure if he really exists.

I'd prefer if there was a direct email address for HR.

As I only work weekends, I do not see my Wages Clerk, if that were to be my first port of call.

According to Salary Finance, my "basic salary" is "much" (in % terms) lower than I thought. Having worked through the figures, HR believe my basic salary is just that - basically £8.42 x 52 weeks x weekly hours.

What they are missing is that I work in a store with location pay - so that's another 45p per hour.
In addition to that, more than half my contract hours are on a Sunday - and they have not included my Sunday premium in my "basic pay"

I wanted to "clarify" with them!  thanks

In short it depends on who's doing the processing of that data. To Tesco, your basic pay x hours per week x 52 is your basic salary, for external processors, it will be your contracted amount x 52.

If Tesco gave the calculation for your salary based on their processing, it should be reasonable for you to request the people partner in your store to give your salary as contracted amount times 52, else a copy of your contract should suffice for salary finances requirements.

« Last Edit: 09-07-19, 07:02PM by NightAndDay »

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #74 on: 09-07-19, 07:00PM »
Tesco HR doesn't exist any more its called People, some guy I worked with tried to contact them few months ago and any chances to pull  all pay/ contract queries he had to go through store.