Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10-12-18, 01:29PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81661
  • Total Topics: 1715
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Poll

Jack's, good/bad idea?

Good
(26.6%)
Bad
(15.8%)
Unneccessary
(57.6%)

Author Topic: Jack's  (Read 7999 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Jack's
« on: 10-10-18, 11:13AM »
What is your gut instinct ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

captain

• Smart Arse
Re: Jack's
« Reply #1 on: 10-10-18, 12:49PM »
They can call it whatever they want for me as long as it does 2 things
1 make a loss making store profitable
2 keep staff in a job

mac84

« Reply #2 on: 10-10-18, 01:11PM »
Having been in a Jack's, the prices and products are on a par with certain brands and price points in the Tesco stores and don't seem enough of a pull on their own to entice people in. From my perspective, the brand and it's marketing seem to be the key factor.
« Last Edit: 10-10-18, 01:25PM by mac84 »

cityboy

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 11-10-18, 12:45AM »
Jack's is an idea that goes back to the 80/90s, pile it high, sell it cheap, come and get it. The unprofitable .com idea has been paid for by minimizing instore staff to pay for pickers drivers. Tesco were too scared to be left behind, but the customers who still come instore are now secondary to online customers,(sell best dates to .dot.com, put out the old dates for instore customers), and it is ignoring the" bread and butter customers". Jack's goes back to a bit of customer equality and higher profit percentage, so why not?.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #4 on: 11-10-18, 07:54AM »
If overheads are less e.g. lower wages, poorer pension provision, less/no discount (I don't actually know if these things are true of Jack's, I'm just guessing) then Tesco stores could be closing while Jack's are opening, with no loss of employment as staff are kindly offered alternative opportunities in Jack's.

My gut is a bit cynical.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 11-10-18, 09:05PM »
I can see that happening over time, Tesco shops being replaced with Jacks branches with far fewer staff on less benefits, a bit of short term pain paying off staff and altering the shops but long term saving the company money, people need to realise just what is going on here, talk of a few stores here and there is not realistic given the investment that went into setting the Jacks chain up, more to all this than meets the eye in my opinion.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 12-10-18, 12:25AM »
A Jack's opened near me, none of the tesco staff stayed on. Most transferred to vacancies in the surrounding area, those that couldn't get hours they wanted took redundancy and moved on.

Apparently holiday's don't increase with service, capped at 4 weeks and bhols, no company sick pay just statutory,  and none of the useless colleague deals we get offered at T.

RubyRed

« Reply #7 on: 12-10-18, 09:30AM »
The cheap supermarkets seem to appeal to more and more people so it’s potentially a good idea. The colleagues are paid a higher hourly rate but don’t get any of the other benefits, apart from pension (because they have too).  Most of us complain about discount being used to compare pay, so it should appeal.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 12-10-18, 06:08PM »
I can see that happening over time, Tesco shops being replaced with Jacks branches with far fewer staff on less benefits, a bit of short term pain paying off staff and altering the shops but long term saving the company money, people need to realise just what is going on here, talk of a few stores here and there is not realistic given the investment that went into setting the Jacks chain up, more to all this than meets the eye in my opinion.
think you could very well be right here mate

« Reply #9 on: 12-10-18, 11:30PM »
They could Tupe transfer every T employee over to Jack's

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #10 on: 13-10-18, 10:56AM »
Depends how company is set-up, I believe there can be no TUPE if their employer remains Tesco.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #11 on: 14-10-18, 12:58PM »
If their employer remains Tesco, their wages, pensions etc should be maintained.
New employees, tho, will be on Jack's T+C's, whatever those are.

I think it's a long term cost-saving exercise.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 14-10-18, 02:31PM »
Could well be being used as a trial:-
1) can we improve staff turnover by paying higher hourly rate.
2) do people still expect to get staff discount.
3) what problems do they encounter on bank holidays etc.

By using a new concept they can iron out any issues before launching it into the new brand.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 15-10-18, 11:01AM »
If their employer remains Tesco, their wages, pensions etc should be maintained.
New employees, tho, will be on Jack's T+C's, whatever those are.

I think it's a long term cost-saving exercise.

Not strictly true, there is a policy on the “our” site that clearly outlines the process for moving to another area of the Business, it clearly states that when you transfer to another area of the business that is listed you move to the T&C,s of that area, it is just a matter of time and the policy updating to reflect the new venture being listed I suspect, but the policy principle would be the same, if J”s is officially listed as not T with companies house then the policy is likely to apply.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Digimon

• Know All
« Reply #14 on: 16-10-18, 11:55AM »
UK's biggest retailer falls to bottom of FTSE 100 as latest data shows 'big four' supermarkets continuing to lose market share to discounters.. Shares in Tesco were down 3.4% at 208.6p, at the bottom of the FTSE 100, down 22 points, or 0.3%, at 7,007.

'The result it somewhat surprising given how much publicity Tesco generated with its Jack's discount concept launch in late-September. Countless column inches and air time drew attention to the broader Tesco group as well as Jack's and should have acted as free advertising to help get more people into its stores.'

https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/tesco-drags-down-ftse-as-big-four-lose-market-share/a1165517
Serving Tesco's ex- shoppers a LIDL better every day

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #15 on: 17-10-18, 01:43AM »
Well Jack's will not win customers. Trying to transfer Tesco into Jack's will end up with disaster.

Another thing is that discount stores in Europe are not cheap/ low quality stores. They do fight for higher class customers. Here in UK its at best a fight for middle classes.  Lidl, aldi can take fight with big supermarkets easily.

Last time I check Lidl  pay( in Germany ) is €11.5 h which is over £10 h, compare it with €8.84h of national minimum hourly rate.  Poland 2800 -3800 pln ( huge range as they pay there more for years of service, or stackers get more than checkout staff etc), compare it with lowest pay of 2100 pln per month.  On top of that range of benefits, like discount  or Xmas vouchers.

Retail in UK is very behind so its no surprise Lidl and Aldi are taking over market share in UK.  They operate in so many countries so can use gained experience in Britain to lure customers.  I see Jack like another Poundland, Poundstretcher, Home Bargains etc....

Totot

« Reply #16 on: 17-10-18, 09:44AM »
Opening Jack's won't benefit Tesco for sure, mostly if it is another side business of Tesco not core inside.
The more tesco open Jack's, the smaller the size of Tesco. There is no guarantee that J'ack will grab customer from Aldi or Lidl, mostly might be the existing Tesco customer. Strategically it never design to compete with those two apart from saying cheap cheap, they underestimated customer behaviour to much. Just like the promise of zero waste because they think staff will got no pride, will take everything for 1p and for free later, that is how wrong these bosses best estimation are.

The Mrs

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 25-10-18, 04:30AM »
They have shut the stable gate after the horse has bolted. Should have done this back when Tesco first started losing customers to Aldi and Lidl.

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #19 on: 26-10-18, 08:17PM »
I think if they want to make a proper go of Jack's, they are going to have to increase the speed in which they are opening them.

Might make more of an impact on the big discounters if there was more of them. Less than 10 (don't have the exact number) isn't going to effect them

« Reply #20 on: 28-10-18, 05:33PM »
Why not just stack things high and sell them cheaper as the Jack Cohen the founder did. This is the way it once was. We have more buying power than any of the big four so we should be able to get bigger discounts from suppliers for buying in bulk.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #21 on: 28-10-18, 08:18PM »
Its just a saying. Trying to get better deal from producer not always work.
Buying more doesnt mean tesco will sell it.
Guy who i worked with works for logistic company who deliver goods to all supermarkets including tesco. He said that the amount off goods they store is ridiculous. Sometimes they need to hire private warehouse to store goods that are out of code as they need space for new one.
If they cant shift goods on time how you want to handle more stock if you add tesco DC then store warehouse.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 28-10-18, 09:00PM »
Something that I was once told that I found hard to believe at the time, yet it could be quite plausible, the likes of Kellogg’s sell their products at a price regardless of the quantity you may purchase, their mentality being customers expect to see premium brands regardless whether they wish to purchase them or not. Some Brand buy and some don’t, those that don’t may use brand as price comparison for “store own” , I have done this not only for price but also for ingredients and the traffic light system.

Famous Brands do have some history of being able to dictate the price, customers expect to see “Kellogg’s” or “Coke”, what would consumer reaction be if those brands ceased to be available at any given outlet?

« Last Edit: 28-10-18, 09:02PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

jonty

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 01-11-18, 04:59PM »
A superstore in Rawtenstall is the latest store being converted into Jack's with the PFS & pharmacy remaining as Tesco

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rossendalefreepress.co.uk/news/rawtenstall-tesco-close-new-year-15358942.amp

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #24 on: 01-11-18, 07:29PM »
I've just read that article too, a lot of staff there.

Guess that means under performing superstores, or ones with the discounters nearby are all at risk of rebranding.

DL really is ruthless in his pursuit of turning the business around