Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-10-18, 12:51PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81049
  • Total Topics: 1707
  • Online Today: 112
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Poll

Jack's, good/bad idea?

Good
(33.9%)
Bad
(16.9%)
Unneccessary
(49.2%)

Author Topic: Jack's  (Read 2970 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Jack's
« on: 10-10-18, 11:13AM »
What is your gut instinct ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

captain

• Smart Arse
Re: Jack's
« Reply #1 on: 10-10-18, 12:49PM »
They can call it whatever they want for me as long as it does 2 things
1 make a loss making store profitable
2 keep staff in a job

mac84

« Reply #2 on: 10-10-18, 01:11PM »
Having been in a Jack's, the prices and products are on a par with certain brands and price points in the Tesco stores and don't seem enough of a pull on their own to entice people in. From my perspective, the brand and it's marketing seem to be the key factor.
« Last Edit: 10-10-18, 01:25PM by mac84 »

cityboy

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 11-10-18, 12:45AM »
Jack's is an idea that goes back to the 80/90s, pile it high, sell it cheap, come and get it. The unprofitable .com idea has been paid for by minimizing instore staff to pay for pickers drivers. Tesco were too scared to be left behind, but the customers who still come instore are now secondary to online customers,(sell best dates to .dot.com, put out the old dates for instore customers), and it is ignoring the" bread and butter customers". Jack's goes back to a bit of customer equality and higher profit percentage, so why not?.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #4 on: 11-10-18, 07:54AM »
If overheads are less e.g. lower wages, poorer pension provision, less/no discount (I don't actually know if these things are true of Jack's, I'm just guessing) then Tesco stores could be closing while Jack's are opening, with no loss of employment as staff are kindly offered alternative opportunities in Jack's.

My gut is a bit cynical.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 11-10-18, 09:05PM »
I can see that happening over time, Tesco shops being replaced with Jacks branches with far fewer staff on less benefits, a bit of short term pain paying off staff and altering the shops but long term saving the company money, people need to realise just what is going on here, talk of a few stores here and there is not realistic given the investment that went into setting the Jacks chain up, more to all this than meets the eye in my opinion.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 12-10-18, 12:25AM »
A Jack's opened near me, none of the tesco staff stayed on. Most transferred to vacancies in the surrounding area, those that couldn't get hours they wanted took redundancy and moved on.

Apparently holiday's don't increase with service, capped at 4 weeks and bhols, no company sick pay just statutory,  and none of the useless colleague deals we get offered at T.

RubyRed

« Reply #7 on: 12-10-18, 09:30AM »
The cheap supermarkets seem to appeal to more and more people so it’s potentially a good idea. The colleagues are paid a higher hourly rate but don’t get any of the other benefits, apart from pension (because they have too).  Most of us complain about discount being used to compare pay, so it should appeal.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 12-10-18, 06:08PM »
I can see that happening over time, Tesco shops being replaced with Jacks branches with far fewer staff on less benefits, a bit of short term pain paying off staff and altering the shops but long term saving the company money, people need to realise just what is going on here, talk of a few stores here and there is not realistic given the investment that went into setting the Jacks chain up, more to all this than meets the eye in my opinion.
think you could very well be right here mate

« Reply #9 on: 12-10-18, 11:30PM »
They could Tupe transfer every T employee over to Jack's

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #10 on: 13-10-18, 10:56AM »
Depends how company is set-up, I believe there can be no TUPE if their employer remains Tesco.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #11 on: 14-10-18, 12:58PM »
If their employer remains Tesco, their wages, pensions etc should be maintained.
New employees, tho, will be on Jack's T+C's, whatever those are.

I think it's a long term cost-saving exercise.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 14-10-18, 02:31PM »
Could well be being used as a trial:-
1) can we improve staff turnover by paying higher hourly rate.
2) do people still expect to get staff discount.
3) what problems do they encounter on bank holidays etc.

By using a new concept they can iron out any issues before launching it into the new brand.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:01 AM »
If their employer remains Tesco, their wages, pensions etc should be maintained.
New employees, tho, will be on Jack's T+C's, whatever those are.

I think it's a long term cost-saving exercise.

Not strictly true, there is a policy on the “our” site that clearly outlines the process for moving to another area of the Business, it clearly states that when you transfer to another area of the business that is listed you move to the T&C,s of that area, it is just a matter of time and the policy updating to reflect the new venture being listed I suspect, but the policy principle would be the same, if J”s is officially listed as not T with companies house then the policy is likely to apply.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.