Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-10-18, 12:16PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81048
  • Total Topics: 1707
  • Online Today: 112
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Does your stores USDAW rep listen to you?  (Read 2270 times)

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Does your stores USDAW rep listen to you?
« on: 06-10-18, 04:17AM »
When you have voiced your opinions to your rep about
pensions
pay
health and safety
cctv
management bullying etc.

Does you rep actually listen and pass on your concerns to the Usdaw union?

I ask these questions because there seems to be some sort of disconnect.

I see us as having 4 major players:
Ourselves
Store reps
Usdaw senior management
tesco management

Some would have us believe that the disconnect is between Ourselves and our Store reps, in that we do not let our reps know how we feel. This is often sited in the 'member apathy' argument.

Some would have us believe that the disconnect is between our Store Reps and the Usdaw Senior Management, in that We tell our reps that we are not happy, but they do not tell their superiors. OR, our reps Do tell the Usdaw Senior management, but, the Usdaw Senior management do not listen.

Which of the above do you believe is closer to the truth?
Do you have a different explanation for all of the losses that colleagues have suffered over the past 10 years.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Does your stores USDAW rep listen to you?
« Reply #1 on: 06-10-18, 10:04AM »
Not sure what you're getting at here ??? ???

If you've got a real concern why aren't you voicing it to your area USDAW office?

Some colleagues seem to think that their store reps are there to fire the bullets provided.
Usual scenario I used to encounter, was a colleague would voice their concerns to the rep...rep would sit down and discuss with them the problem...then if the problem was justified, the rep would ask what the colleague wished to do?? Place a grievance...have a meeting arranged with the relevant manager to discuss?? More often than not, the answer would be that they didn't want to cause any trouble, or "I'll leave it for now" etc...etc...

Common misperceptions would be that reps are paid for the job so it's ok to interrupt their breaks, contact them at home, kick off at them if the outcome wasn't as expected, then criticise what USDAW have agreed with tesco in the partnership agreements and what are we doing about it ??? ???

Newsflash.....most reps don't agree with what has happened, but are just a small cog in a very big wheel. Their role is mainly to protect the rights of their colleagues Instore, and most do it because they feel they can help. They know no more about pensions than the average Joe, they have no input on pay, apart from a very select few, they can only ensure the CCTV is being used within the law, and as for management bullying........"I'll leave it for now, I don't want to cause any trouble," translated into, "why can't you just go sort it, without me being mentioned or getting involved, that's what your paid for"  :-X :-X

As for telling senior ( never superior ) USDAW officials, may as well go whistle in the wind, they are all protecting their little cushy numbers, work 9-5 mon-Friday, are extremely well paid, in a very closed "old boy" network. USDAW should have the three wise monkeys as their emblem, just leave the word evil out, and you've got it sorted.

« Last Edit: 06-10-18, 10:12AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 06-10-18, 02:11PM »
Our reps are /were sacked for stealing, on final warnings for absense, on warnings for inappropriate behaviour to numerous female members of staff, a drama queen and one decent one who does a good job.

Ulsterboy

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 06-10-18, 04:24PM »
Lucego  , couldn't agree more.

Plato

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 06-10-18, 07:29PM »
Lucego. I stopped taking my breaks in the staff restaurant, because all colleagues wanted to do was moan about how little the USDAW reps did, as well as what an awful company we all worked for ! Strange that once again we were blue for WMTY 😡😡😡😡😡😡

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 06-10-18, 09:55PM »
Some reps feel like saying step up or shut the fck up but alas we have to remain polite, unopinionated and “owned” by paying masters.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #6 on: 07-10-18, 08:48AM »
When you have voiced your opinions to your rep about
pensions
pay
health and safety
cctv
management bullying etc.

Does you rep actually listen and pass on your concerns to the Usdaw union?

I ask these questions because there seems to be some sort of disconnect.

I see us as having 4 major players:
Ourselves
Store reps
Usdaw senior management
tesco management

Some would have us believe that the disconnect is between Ourselves and our Store reps, in that we do not let our reps know how we feel. This is often sited in the 'member apathy' argument.

Some would have us believe that the disconnect is between our Store Reps and the Usdaw Senior Management, in that We tell our reps that we are not happy, but they do not tell their superiors. OR, our reps Do tell the Usdaw Senior management, but, the Usdaw Senior management do not listen.

Which of the above do you believe is closer to the truth?
Do you have a different explanation for all of the losses that colleagues have suffered over the past 10 years.

If this is your experience why are you not standing to be a rep? The elections are going on right now put your name down and become an unpaid rep giving up your time to make sure people are getting the best deal they can.

Will you be putting yourself forward or are you content to slate the unpaid reps that do their best for you for what I can see nothing in return except a slating on here.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 07-10-18, 02:53PM »
I aint got what it takes.
Unfortunately I don't think that some reps have what it takes either.
Although that isn't what the OP is getting at, the post is merely asking a question for some clarification.
If anybody feels that it is having a go at them, then maybe the problem lies with their own insecurities.
As for, members don't follow through with their complaints, is this really necessary for a rep to voice their concerns higher up the chain?
As for not being paid, I agree to some extent, however reps may not receive monetary compensation BUT they do receive (and more importantly accept) the mandate of the aura of 'professionalism' when they take on the job, you can't have it both ways. As a rep you are set apart in some ways from the masses, and have accepted that you have certain obligations in that role. If you can't stand the heat....

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 07-10-18, 05:00PM »
Two points.....

1....yes it is necessary that members follow through with their complaints, reps are only there to support and advise the colleague through the complaint procedure. They aren't able to proceed with the complaint on the colleagues behalf, they aren't able to encourage or cajole colleagues to make complaints if the colleague doesn't want to proceed.

2...."Aura of professionalism, set apart from the masses" I never felt that this was part of my role, or to be perceived as so. I always felt my role was as an intermediary, to support, advise and represent those who wished me to.

A first aider gets paid, but I doubt they think of themselves as a paramedic, or begin to give out medical advice. Why would an unpaid position be thought of as any different??
« Last Edit: 07-10-18, 05:01PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 07-10-18, 06:01PM »
Unfortunately I don't think that some reps have what it takes either.
Although that isn't what the OP is getting at, the post is merely asking a question for some clarification.
If anybody feels that it is having a go at them, then maybe the problem lies with their own insecurities.
As for, members don't follow through with their complaints, is this really necessary for a rep to voice their concerns higher up the chain?
As for not being paid, I agree to some extent, however reps may not receive monetary compensation BUT they do receive (and more importantly accept) the mandate of the aura of 'professionalism' when they take on the job, you can't have it both ways. As a rep you are set apart in some ways from the masses, and have accepted that you have certain obligations in that role. If you can't stand the heat....

I would disagree with you believing you ain’t got what it takes.

Relentless
Engaging
Resourceful
Dare I say, A little Annoying.

I don’t think anyone believes your questions somehow cast Judgement upon them.

“Accept the Mandate of the Aura of professionalism”  WTAF !!! ....  distanced, there is a reluctance of inclusion, because the role is taken seriously, almost ostracised from normal working relationships and Groups, expected to perform miracles, targets for the venting of all wrong Doing.

“As a rep you have accepted certain obligations”

Absolutely!!
One of which is to recognise support and endorse the process for addressing concerns and grievances and any wrong doing.

Where all know where that got me don’t we.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

letmego

« Reply #10 on: 07-10-18, 09:53PM »
No they don't listen. They are nothing but time wasting nit pickers :P
« Last Edit: 08-10-18, 10:24AM by Nomad »

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 08-10-18, 10:41AM »

Quite happy to abuse them on here though eh, They do this because they care its voluntary and getting time owed back is like getting blood out of a stone.

If you are not willing to stand up and be counted at least get behind those who will.

Next time you have a problem either sort it out yourself or go straight to an Area Organiser but you will not be allowed to be repd by an AO because thats not part of the agreement.

You could of course canvas your colleagues see if any of them want to stand as a rep, you will find most of them are like you enjoy the fact that they have one but dont want to do it the difference being 99% of them appreciate those who do. 

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 08-10-18, 09:21PM »
....oh...I'm....sorry......are you still here?
Wind your neck in pal!
I do hope you are not a rep as your eye for detail is c**p. You have obviously missed my previous post completely. If you are just going to invent your own narrative why not start your own topic?.....Oh that's right your not a  paying supporter are you?
I find it strange that somebody who claims to care about volunteers, is quite happy to find entertainment and a voice on a website run by volunteers, and is too tight-fisted to give a measly couple of quid a year to support them.
I will not respond to anymore of your posts, until you become a supporter, my time is too valuable to waste on freeloading hypocrites like you. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: 08-10-18, 09:22PM by optout »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #13 on: 08-10-18, 11:20PM »
Fun fact neither david1 nor m360 are supporters, yet between themselves they have contributed more in terms of sheer information than any other member.

Damn freeloaders.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 09-10-18, 06:08AM »
....oh...I'm....sorry......are you still here?
Wind your neck in pal!
I do hope you are not a rep as your eye for detail is c**p. You have obviously missed my previous post completely. If you are just going to invent your own narrative why not start your own topic?.....Oh that's right your not a  paying supporter are you?
I find it strange that somebody who claims to care about volunteers, is quite happy to find entertainment and a voice on a website run by volunteers, and is too tight-fisted to give a measly couple of quid a year to support them.
I will not respond to anymore of your posts, until you become a supporter, my time is too valuable to waste on freeloading hypocrites like you. :thumbup:

Lol wind my neck in. Whats the matter dont like being shown for the person you are.  Someone quite happy to abuse others for things you allege they either do wrong or dont do at all. My narrative? Its your post that I quoted and replied to or did I see something that wasnt there, A voluntary job you also stated you would not do but are quite happy to tell all and sundry those that do do a poor job.

LMAO talk about selective memory, as for the 2 quid to support this website, Why is that a thing or is that the only thing you have in your armoury to abuse me for, I used to be a rep for 10 years so now you can tell me i did nothing listened to no one and cared not a jot for the people nay friends i represented.

I have so far kept my opinions about you in check not least because I do not want censoring or an infraction due to the likes of you but its getting dangerously close to me not caring.

« Reply #15 on: 09-10-18, 07:25AM »
The infighting 

BossHog89

« Reply #16 on: 09-10-18, 09:25AM »
Mine always wanted to know your political beliefs. If you weren't a staunch labour supporter (at times to leadership elections she would ask you about which you preferred) if you were not in line with her's ("and the unions" she claimed) beliefs she would do the absolute minimum to help, to the point where people wouldn't bother asking.

rogersmart

« Reply #17 on: 09-10-18, 12:36PM »
BossHog’s Rep is/was a disgrace and should be reported to USDAW.  The best possible Rep Support is a right in return for your subscriptions and is absolutely nothing to do with political preferences, which are entirely personal.

(Captain)Deadpool

« Reply #18 on: 09-10-18, 01:13PM »
During my time with the company I frequently found myself being approached for assistance with meetings (disciplinaries/absence/investigation) not due to being a rep but being known as someone who 'knows his stuff'. I like to think I did my best for anyone that needed the help, looked into the policies, saw flaws in the processes etc...
Likewise I saw reps giving little or no support as it seemed there was a conflict of interest between their duties as a rep and their potential for progression... how they chose to proceed would cost them their shot so  to speak.
Always thought I could operate with a little more freedom not being a rep, and was definitely worth seeing some managers painfully saying "no further action" through gritted teeth.  :D :D

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 09-10-18, 03:13PM »
People seem to be forgetting that the reps are voted in by the stores union members, Dont like the one you have stand against them so you can do a better job rather than saying 'Mine is Sh it'

You wont though its not all its cracked up to be coming out at all hours coming into work when you did a 7.5 hour shift and went home so you can rep some ungrateful tw_at who thinks you get paid to do it and cant understand why you cant get them off the written warning they just got for having yet another 'Flu' outbreak.

If you dont like the rep and wont be one yourself stop paying for the union and go it alone but they cant be that bad or no one would vote for them, Oh thats right no one else put their names forward to be an unpaid rep did they.

During my time with the company I frequently found myself being approached for assistance with meetings (disciplinaries/absence/investigation) not due to being a rep but being known as someone who 'knows his stuff'. I like to think I did my best for anyone that needed the help, looked into the policies, saw flaws in the processes etc...
Likewise I saw reps giving little or no support as it seemed there was a conflict of interest between their duties as a rep and their potential for progression... how they chose to proceed would cost them their shot so  to speak.
Always thought I could operate with a little more freedom not being a rep, and was definitely worth seeing some managers painfully saying "no further action" through gritted teeth.  :D :D

That is a pile of utter garbage. Have you even read the policy around the people you take into meetings? Its not the managers who decide who is there as either a rep or as moral support its the person going in. According to policy the only people allowed to speak in a meeting are the manager taking it the person involved and if they are a member of the union the union rep they take in, They can also take someone else in as moral support but they are barred from speaking in any capacity while the meeting is happening.

So you are full of cr_ap and i dont get why you would lie?
« Last Edit: 09-10-18, 03:17PM by forrestgimp »

(Captain)Deadpool

« Reply #20 on: 09-10-18, 04:01PM »
My apologies, my original post wasn't clear - I was approached by colleagues who were having meetings with management. In some circumstances it was agreed the colleague felt comfortable if someone else (me in this instance) put their point across.

I will admit most of the advice I gave was during an adjournment. This was so that my input in the actual meeting (the parts noted down) was minimal and caused little disruption to the meeting.

I feel like I should point out that I get how undervalued reps can be - and my experience doesn't reflect the wider picture - this was just my experience.

Most definitely isn't fabricated, I can't empathise with a mindset that would believe someone would make this up - what could I possibly stand to gain?

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 09-10-18, 05:29PM »
Here is a dilemma then.

Totally Hypothetical fictional scenario.
The company decide on a restructure scenario which includes voluntary redundancies which could lead to compulsory if there is not enough people expressing an interest.

They enter into Consultation at National level and it’s communicated to the affected staff, it appears via the consultation process that the company’s ultimate goal, reducing departmental numbers and cost savings can be achieved without any redundancies, Voluntary or Compulsory and that the process just seems very unnecessary.
It also emerges there are more than enough people wishing to take redundancy.

What should the union National Officers do.

Challenge the restructure on principle as clearly unnecessary and nobody needs to leave the business, a challenge without a mandate from the members affected, but a challenge based on very flawed business reasoning

Let the process unfold that meets the needs of members wishing to take redundancy.

:question:
« Last Edit: 09-10-18, 05:39PM by Duracell »

Duracell.

Ron

« Reply #22 on: 10-10-18, 05:02PM »
Well I would go for option 2 as I am usually about the people and what they need and want whether its right or not but unfortunately I'm sure the union would go for the first option as they would see it as a the rights of the company and breaks some policy or other just to be seen to be just and right for the greater good.

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #23 on: 10-10-18, 08:15PM »
Speaking as a rep, I think lucgeo has summarised it nicely in reply #1 :thumbup:
Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

Wearethehearts

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #24 on: Today at 07:53 AM »
My experience is the paid usdaw staff have a very easy life , good money , never challenged or seemingly performance reviewed, the national forum reps are so out of touch and a push over that Tesco gets what it wants , while usdaw system needs an overhaul as it's complicit with the erosion of benefits and salaries