Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-11-19, 06:24AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62503
  • Total Topics: 1104
  • Online Today: 110
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 99
Total: 101

Author Topic: Union application  (Read 2154 times)

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Union application
« on: 27-09-18, 07:41PM »
Hi,I've put my name down to be a union rep. I've been told that my store have to ok it. Is this right? If so for what reason?

optout

• Sad Muppet
Re: Union application
« Reply #1 on: 27-09-18, 09:34PM »
have you been nominated and seconded?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Ascott83

« Reply #2 on: 27-09-18, 11:48PM »
There should be a nomination form put up on the staff notice board for that. I remember nominating someone last time and they didnt need permission from tesco . Really it wouldnt be fair of tesco to block someone that wants to do it.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 28-09-18, 12:20AM »
I've been proposed and seconded.

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 28-09-18, 12:55AM »
Well congratulations then Mark, you are now a duly elected Union Rep - whether Tesco like it or not !

Ron

« Reply #5 on: 28-09-18, 03:58PM »
My understanding is that the store still has to ok it as lets say 5 people from counters all working only Monday want to be reps? Well that's just stupid so it has to suit availability to cover each department so a broad spectrum of times and departments can have cover. Mostly it should not be an issue though.

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 28-09-18, 04:22PM »
In reply to the opening post, as long as you meet the criteria listed on the nomination poster and you are proposed and seconded then there is little the company can do.

If there is only 1 position and 2 people are proposed and seconded a ballot open only to Members the takes place to decide democratically, sometimes the criteria is waved if there is ONLY one candidate and there are no objections raised.

In response to the previous post that is only an issue if there are 5 rep positions available and they are the Only 5 candidates.

There is very little scope for the Company objecting.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Ron

« Reply #7 on: 28-09-18, 04:41PM »
I agree but sometimes it is not the store that objects as sometimes people are clearly not right for a role and it is the area organiser and others reps who oppose. Before everyone starts ranting about equality etc. bear in mind would you want lets say someone repping you who hates everything and everyone, has not got a brain cell to spare and also is on numerous warnings and managers and staff hate them. I am not speaking from experience lol just an observation to point out that there are more to things than are sometimes apparent.

thecleaningwoman

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 29-09-18, 11:07PM »
In store i worked  if personal and store manager said NO then you could not become a rep  .Wrong i know but it was there way of having who they wanted as reps

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 30-09-18, 07:17AM »
On the other side of things if there are not enough reps in a store and nobody comes forward people can be approached to see if they would like to go forward. I understand that things like not being with the company for a year that would normally be a required thing can be waved.
Not having enough reps can put huge pressures on existing so support should be given to do all they can to recruit.

blackberry

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #10 on: 30-09-18, 10:42AM »
Don't think you are allowed to stand if you are on a live conduct warning at the time of election.

Best wishes

rogersmart

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 30-09-18, 07:25PM »
You all need to take a look at the Tesco/USDAW Partnership Agreement.  This makes it very clear that the appointment of Union Reps is a sort of shared responsibility, and that Store Managers, Group Personnel Managers and USDAW Area Organisers all have to be satisfied that someone proposed and seconded as a Rep is suitable.  The big issue is “trust”, and I have seen colleagues (even Team Managers) put forward as Reps so that they can cause maximum trouble for the Store Manager.  That is not what being a Rep for USDAW is all about - what the Partnership Agreement sets out is that Reps need to be individuals who have the respect of both Management and Colleagues so that constructive discussion and negotiation can take place in confidence where appropriate in order to overcome problems.  Unfortunately this site tends to promote an “us” and “them” approach driving wedges between Managers and Colleagues, when the reality is that the majority of Managers (around 70% in my store) are also union members who get the same level of representation if and when they need it.  Effectively, the Partnership Agreement creates a special status for USDAW Reps, and frankly not everyone has what it takes to keep personal information confidential as absolutely must happen.  As I said, “trust” is the key.